Neil Young

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
Any fans out there? Absolute genius, often overlooked. IMO he shares that rare quality with Morrissey that his singing can wring so much more emotion out of lyrics than you would feel from just reading them on a page. What's your favourite material by him?

:love: I love him!
I am a sucker for his acoustic era - After The Goldrush, Harvest, On the Beach but he rarely does wrong in my eyes...

This song makes me melt like no other...

Last edited by a moderator:
Live Rust, Weld & the early stuff and I quite like Harvest Moon..err Zuma, Sleeps With Angels..

Last edited:
He's not someone who I'd consider one of my absolute favorites, but I love many of his records. I can easily lose myself in songs like "Down by the River", "Old Man", "Cortez the Killer", etc. And not to mention that his integrity as an artist seems so unrivaled.

On The Beach is one of my favourite albums.

Of course, After the Gold Rush, Harvest, 'This is Nowhere' and others are also very dear to me.

The Buffalo Springfield song 'Expecting To Fly' which he wrote is one of my desert island discs. Bliss.
I generally like his more acoustic side, the mtv unplugged album is another favourite.

I love this wee bit of footage - you have to be patient but its worth it!!

Expecting To Fly :thumb: As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a major fan of that song. And a major fan of Neil Young. My love for his music is on a par with my love for Morrissey's, I love both of them in different ways. I've seen Neil Young twice, they were definitely the best gigs I've been to, he's one of the most talented artists I've ever seen. In fact I think he's probably the most talented artist ever. He really opened my ears to what good music should sound like. What I love about him is the way he can switch from mellow acoustic to totally rockin' out! I also agree about the similarity between him and Morrissey in the way they can both get so much more out of the lyrics. If anyone was to cover his songs (or Morrissey's for that matter) it just wouldn't sound the same. Favourite albums? Its hard to tell, On The Beach or Tonight's The Night, Neil Young, or Everybody Knows This is Nowhere......there's so many, all the 70's stuff was awesome, 90's were excellent too (Ragged Glory, Sleeps With Angels, Broken Arrow etc.), even this decade has been productive. I'm a fan of Chrome Dreams II and Silver and Gold. Everyone should bask in the sheer brilliance of the man. Sadly, there's still people who don't even know who he is, never mind heard any of his stuff :(

I Like NY.
one of my fave pieces is from Old Man

Lullabies look in your eyes
run around the the same old town
doesnt mean that much to me to mean that much to you
ive been first and last, look at how the time goes past
but im all alone at last, rolling back to you

always like young but his voice grinds after a while, so only in small doses. tha said he has written some absolute classics.

was pleasantly surprised/blown away by his performance at glastonbury this year.

Among my all-time favorite songs. :guitar:

Any fans out there? Absolute genius, often overlooked. IMO he shares that rare quality with Morrissey that his singing can wring so much more emotion out of lyrics than you would feel from just reading them on a page. What's your favourite material by him?

He's hardly "overlooked" - he's as much basic staple for the americana-oriented rock enthusiast as Dylan or Springsteen is.

cheers

oh two other GREAT NY songs worth checking if you don't have...

The Old Laughing Lady... listen all the way through.
and
The Last Trip to Tulsa.

:love:

everybody knows this is nowhere is probably my favorite neil young album but i also love harvest, on the beach, tonights the night, zuma, after the goldrush, ragged glory, harvest moon...etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom