Morrissey's solo albums ranked - NME

Am I the only one who loves Sing Your Life?

Not at all, especially this version-

As for my list....

9. Kill Uncle- As the above video shows, it is not the songs themselves which are terrible but the undercooked production. I love Mute Witness though.
8. Ringleader- Contains a few gems, but otherwise a nondescript album filled with filler.
7. Years of Refusal- Has grown on me recently, though most of Side B is forgettable.
6. Southpaw- Has some great songs, yet most defy perfection by being at least a minute too long.
5. Maladjusted- Has some duds, but otherwise an underrated album that contains several classics- the title track, Trouble Loves Me, Wide to Receive. I even quite like Roy's Keen.
4. Quarry- A great album, soiled only by some of Morrissey's worst lyrics.
3. Vauxhall- It is almost impossible to separate these top three, but this one means just a little bit less to me than Viva and Arsenal.
2. Viva Hate- An excellent debut, vital in proving that Morrissey solo could be just as good as, if not even better than, the Smiths.
1. Your Arsenal- Quite simply the closest thing to perfection Moz has produced.

Last edited by a moderator:

As for my list....

9. Kill Uncle- As the above video shows, it is not the songs themselves which are terrible but the undercooked production. I love Mute Witness though.
8. Ringleader- Contains a few gems, but otherwise a nondescript album filled with filler.
7. Years of Refusal- Has grown on me recently, though most of Side B is forgettable.
6. Southpaw- Has some great songs, yet most defy perfection by being at least a minute too long.
5. Maladjusted- Has some duds, but otherwise an underrated album that contains several classics- the title track, Trouble Loves Me, Wide to Receive. I even quite like Roy's Keen.
3. Vauxhall- It is almost impossible to separate these top three, but this one means just a little bit less to me than Viva and Arsenal.
2. Viva Hate- An excellent debut, vital in proving that Morrissey solo could be just as good as, if not even better than, the Smiths.

Pretty much nails it.

As for my list....

The version of that song is fantastic.

Oh, what the heck, I'm bored and will take a stab.

9. Southpaw Grammar. This following up on Vauxhall was willful nihilism.
8. Maladjusted. The title track, Alma, and Trouble are fantastic. The one album that could have leaped forward about 3 places if the b-sides and the album tracks had been swapped out. There's a reason Morrissey disappeared for 7 years after this album. He'd lost not just the tread, but apparently his interest in even holding onto the thread.
7. Years of Refusal. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore has an annoyingly shouted chorus, but musically it's more interesting than anything he's done in a while, and the singing at the end, in my opinion, is some of the best of his career.
6. Kill Uncle. A mediocre album, but forgivable because it brought Moz back to the stage for the first time since the Smiths (excepting Wolverhampton) and a world tour full of such excitement it rivaled the Beatles. If only he had toured some of the songs first, this could have been a much stronger album.
5. Ringleader of the Tormenters. Although it peters out after track 8, side A (or at least tracks 3-7) reminds me a bit of side A of Meat is Murder -- just a rocking set of 4 or 5 powerful pop songs.
4. You Are the Quarry. The thin production aside and the often clumsy lyrics further aside, Moz was back! And in a fairly experimental mood, as evidenced by I'm Not Sorry, IBEH, etc.
3. Vauxhall and I. The mature album, fully realized. Followed up by his best single (as a complete package of 3 songs, not necessarily the A-side) of "Boxers" hinted that more was to come; instead we got the radical swerve into the ditch that were Southpaw and Maladjusted.
2. Your Arsenal. The first indication that Morrissey was going to take his career somewhere different and magnificent; he sheds the Smiths.
1. Viva Hate. For all the reasons mentioned by others-- testament that he could stand on his own; it's most Smiths-like appeal; Maudlin Street and the two singles, plus Angel Angel and Break Up the Family. I still listen to this album the most frequently of any of his (along with Bona Drag).

I've only heard the 4 tracks on World Peace, but based on those alone it would likely slide in at #5, with the possibility of claiming #4 if the reviews are to be believed….

Last edited:
Posting so I remember to do my list tomorrow. I need to think about it overnight.

Ok. I’m going to rank (ha ha) the actual released studio albums because that’s how I roll.

9. Kill Uncle - Even though it’s my least favorite I’ve warmed up to it a bit more in recent years. I think, like others said, that it is a huge victim of weak production. There are some great songs on here (Sing Your Life, Our Frank, There’s A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends, (I’m) The End of the Family Line) but that doesn’t make a great album.

8. Maladjusted - It’s tough for me to put this one this low because I do really enjoy it, probably more than most people. I just enjoy the others I’m putting above it more. Some great songs on here too (the title track, Alma Matters, Satan Rejected my Soul, Wide To Receive).

7. Years of Refusal - Solid effort. Something Is Squeezing My Skull is such a killer opening track. I am probably in the minority but I really enjoy the production that Jerry Finn (RIP) brought to the table.

6. Ringleader of the Tormentors - To be honest, I can probably flip the spots of this and YOR at any given point. Today I’m putting it a spot above, tomorrow could be a spot below. Since one of the two times I saw him was on this tour, I will give it the higher spot. Plus I think it has some fantastic tunes. Again with production, I don’t have the issues with Tony Visconti’s production that others do.

5. Southpaw Grammar - Ah, Southpaw. One of his more polarizing releases. I personally could probably rank it even higher if the albums that I put above it weren’t so darn good. I think the title track is just perfect, all 10 minutes of it. I LOVE the sequencing of it, opening and closing with the long songs, drum solo in the middle of the album and then a handful of killer singles in between.

4. You Are The Quarry - I have to say I’m actually shocked to see so many people on here rank it so low. I maybe have a special spot for this one because it was the first Moz album I bought as a fan as it was released (I got into The Smiths when Maladjusted was a few months old) and I saw him on this tour. I got caught up in the hype for it when it came out but I think it’s well deserved. I actually like it more now than I did in 2004. I’m also surprised at how many people think I’m Not Sorry is weak. I love that song.

3. Viva Hate - The first and (what most say) is the best. I love it. I do also wonder what further goodies we could have been privy to had he stuck with Stephen Street. We’ll never know. To my ears, it is the most “Smiths like” of his albums.

2. Vauxhall & I - I sometimes could rank this #1, probably about 50% of the time. But today I’m giving it the #2 spot. So many great songs, no duds IMO. Plus it has my favorite Moz solo song (Speedway)

1. Your Arsenal - I can’t imagine what it was like in 1992 when this came out, following up Kill Uncle. 10 songs. No duds. Great production. Great lyrics. I do remember being 11 years old and seeing “Tomorrow” on MTV and being intrigued, but not enough to dig in until a few years later. Classic.

ok ill bite. ill ad b-sides albums as well though

11. southpaw (sorry fred)

10. ringleader of the tormentors

9. kill uncle

8. vauxhall

7. maladjusted

6. years of refusal

5. you are the querry

4. viva hate

3. swords

2. bona drag

1. your arsenal

9. kill uncle

8. vauxhall

7. maladjusted

6. years of refusal

5. you are the querry

4. viva hate

3. swords

2. bona drag

1. your arsenal

Swords that high? I’m impressed!

1. Vauxhall & I - his most personal album I think and his most consistent. Just perfect from beginning to end
2. World Peace is None of Your Business - his most eclectic and energetic album - so layered and one that will take a long time to fully appreciate. The kind of album that sounds different each time you listen to it.
3. Your Arsenal - his only other fully consistent, brilliant-from-beginning-to-end album, I think. 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday' may be his most heart-wrenching song ever, esp. in the vocal.
4. Ringleader of the Tormentors - this is a 50/50 album, for me; but the 50% that moves me feels like Morrissey at his very best.
5. Maladjusted - most seem to rate this lower but I've always loved it (original release, cover and all); I love the way 'Papa Jack' builds, great drums; I love the resignation of the album; I think 'Alma Matters' and 'Ammunition' are glorious songs and I think 'Ambitious Outsiders' is his most daring lyrics ever and it's brilliant and scary as hell. Re the resignation, I also think the Anthony Newley quote that starts the album is perfect: "On this glorious occasion of the splendid defeat".
6. Southpaw Grammar - his most un-Morrissey-like album, but also one of the more consistent in its intent, I think. An interesting and oft-times exciting offering that has a handful of truly great Morrissey rockers: 'Boy Racer' and 'Dagenham Dave' (I grew up in Dagenham, so yay!).
7. Viva Hate - a mixed bag but a handful of songs which are far better than most albums I rate above. 'Late Night Maudlin Street' being amongst his best songs, I think.
8. You are the Quarry - an odd one, because it's one of his most consistent and there's nothing bad on it, unlike the following two, but it's always left me cold. I love 'Come Back to Camden', but the rest I can take or leave.
9. Years of Refusal - has Paris and 'Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed' and, erm...
10. Kill Uncle - has 'Sing Your Life' and, erm...

9. kill uncle

8. vauxhall

7. maladjusted

6. years of refusal

5. you are the querry

4. viva hate

3. swords

2. bona drag

1. your arsenal

I view this as your attemt to be unique in your choices rather than list your actual choices, either way its a shit arrangement

1-Vauxhall
2-Viva Hate
3-Your Arsenal
4-Ringleader
5 - all the rest (you could prob make one good compilation out of them) except World Pish, it doesnt belong on any list.

I think here I'm going to rank them going off my first impressions -

10 - 'Maladjusted'
9 - 'Kill Uncle'
8 - 'Southpaw Grammar'
7 - 'Years Of Refusal'
6 - 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors'
5 - 'You Are The Quarry'
4 - 'Vauxhall And I'
3 - 'Viva Hate'
2 - 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'
1 - 'Your Arsenal'

I was sorely tempted to place 'World Peace...' and 'Your Arsenal' in joint first place, but I am trying to be decisive. This list isn't indicative of how I feel about the albums at the moment, for example Kill Uncle would be much higher on the list and 'World Peace...' would probably top the list.

Back
Top Bottom