Morrissey's solo albums ranked - NME

I guess they're just rating Moz's studio albums. Here's my list, not that anyone is overly interested in it......

#9, my least favorite Moz album). "Years of Refusal" (2009). I feel that the album disintegrates, for the most part, after the really cool "When Last I Spoke to Carol" finishes playing. "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" is my second least favorite Moz song of all-time, eclipsed only by the methodically boring "Journalists Who Lie."

#8) "Southpaw Grammar" (1995). I love tracks 2,3,5,7 and 8. The only track I don't like is track 1. I think the best song on the album is "Southpaw." However, my favorites are two songs that most folks don't seem to enjoy that much, "Dagenham Dave" and "Best Friend on the Payroll.":)

"Dagenham Dave" by Morrissey

-One of his best videos!

#7) (a tie) "Ringleader...." (2006). I love six songs on the album, interestingly enough they happen to play one after another. (From "You Have Killed Me" to "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now.") My favorite song is "The Father Who Must Be Killed." I also like the songs "To Me You Are A Work of Art" and "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy." Tracks 2,9,and 12, I've only listened to in their entirety one time apiece. I just don't care for them. Track 1 just doesn't grab me either.

"Kill Uncle" (1991). This would've been in #6 by itself, if "Tony the Pony" was included on the original album. I really like that song. My favorite song on this album is the wonderful, "Sing Your Life!!" :)

#5) "Maladjusted" (1997). I've always had a special place in my heart for this album, and always will. I love tracks 2,4,5,6,7, and 9. Most people don't seem to care for "Papa Jack" and "He Cried," but I love both songs. I really like the music in "Papa Jack," which was written by Mr. Alain Whyte.

Alain.jpg

Alain

Morrissey owns "He Cried" with his slow, steady, and soulful singing. The song is definitely one of his hidden gems. My favorite songs on the album are "Alma Matters," "Ammunition," and the underrated "Wide to Receive."

* As usual I'm caught in the silly slipstream of time, so I'll just list my remaining four favorite Moz albums, sans comments.

#4) "You Are the Quarry" (2004). Morrissey fans were the quarry, and he got each and every one of us with this great album.

#3) "Your Arsenal" (1992).

#2) "Viva Hate" (1988).

#1, my favorite Morrissey album.) "Vauxhall & I" (1994).

-Thanks Morrissey, and "Happy Birthday!"

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Viva Hate
2 Vauxhall & I
3 Your Arsenal
4 Southpaw Grammar
5 You Are The Quarry
6 Kill Uncle
7 Maladjusted
8 Years Of Refusal
9 Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Here is how I would rank them….

9) Maladjusted--this one is one of the few easy ones to rank.

8) Kill Uncle

7) Ringleaders of the Tormenter--Not a bad album at all and it has its bright spots. There's a big leap between number 8 and 7 here.

5/6) Years of Refusal and Southpaw Grammar--Tie. I like both albums quite a bit and they certainly have a number of songs I like on them--Reader Meet Author, Boy Racer, Something is Squeezing My Skull. Neither one really sounds like you'd expect a Morrissey album to sound and they both sound more like contemporary modern rock/heavy alt albums than The Smiths. Years of Refusal actually got rather great reviews when it was released so I have no idea why everyone hates it now (bandwagon jumpers?). Southpaw, on the other hand, has always been criminally underrated. Both albums people like to beat on and I don't see why.

4)You Are The Quarry--I keep debating if this actually belongs here or I am just conditioned to think this is the "right spot for it." It's a good album, but it at times seem overrated--especially when we are bashing Years of Refusal.

3) Your Arsenal

2)Vauxhall and I

1)Viva Hate--Unquestionable Morrissey's best album (unless we include Bona Drag than it might be a tie). I have no idea why Vauxhall and Your Arsenal get all the attention over this one. This one and Maladjusted are the only two that are really easy to rank. The rest of the list could probably change on any given day depending upon my mood.

I would say:

9. Years of Refusal
8. Ringleader of the Tormentors
7. Maladjusted
6. Southpaw Grammar
5. Kill Uncle
4. You Are the Quarry
3. Viva Hate
2. Vauxhall and I
1. Your Arsenal

Although really the top 4 are all elite albums and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I can't decided whether I like Viva Hate or Your Arsenal better.

9. Kill Uncle
8. Years of Refusal
7. Viva Hate
6. Maladjusted
5. Ringleaders
4. Southpaw
3.You Are the Quarry
2.Your Arsenal
1. Vauxhall

Vauxhall will be my favorite always and forever. I have great affection for Southpaw and honestly don't love Viva as much as most fans.

1. Viva Hate
2. You are the Quarry
3. Vauxhall and I
4. Your Arsenal
5. Years Of Refusal
6. Kill Uncle
7. Southpaw Grammar
9. Maladjusted

1. Viva Hate
2. Bona Drag
3. Vauxhall And I
4. Your Arsenal
5. Kill Uncle
6. Maladjusted
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
9. Years Of Refusal
10. You Are the Quarry

Yes I know it wasn't done as an album but Bona Drag has too many amazing songs on it not to be in the list.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't decided whether I like Viva Hate or Your Arsenal better.

You like Viva Hate better. Anything else I can help you with?

1. Viva Hate
2. Bona Drag
3. Vauxhall And I
4. Your Arsenal
5. Kill Uncle
6. Maladjusted
7. Southpaw Grammar
9. Years Of Refusal
10. You Are the Quarry

Yes I know it wasn't done as an album but Bona Drag has too many amazing songs on it not to be in the list.

- - - Updated - - -

That's almost chronological. Poor Moz on a downward spiral.

1. Your Arsenal
2. You are the Quarry
3. Kill Uncle
4. Vauxhall and I
5. Viva Hate
6. Maladjusted
7. Southpaw Grammar
9. Years Of Refusal

1. Viva Hate
2. Bona Drag
3. Vauxhall And I
4. Your Arsenal
5. Kill Uncle
6. Maladjusted
7. Southpaw Grammar
9. Years Of Refusal
10. You Are the Quarry

- - - Updated - - -

It's ridiculous including Bona Drag when comparing studio albums. Songs recorded with different musicians, different producers, different songwriters etc over a three year period. Hatful of Hollow is more of a studio album (same musicians and songwriters) but no-one ever lists that when comparing the 4 Smiths studio albums.
If we're going to include a Morrissey compilation, then include them all.
Here's my list including compilations:
1. The Best of Morrissey (way better than Bona as also includes gems like Hairdresser, Lost, Now my heart etc
2. Viva Hate
3. Bona Drag
4. Your Arsenal
5. World of Morrissey
6. Early Burglary Years
7. Maladjusted
8. Kill Uncle
9. Years of
10. Suedehead - Best of Morrissey
11. Ringleader
12. Southpaw
13. Greatest Hits
14. You are the quarry

It's ridiculous including Bona Drag when comparing studio albums. Songs recorded with different musicians, different producers, different songwriters etc over a three year period. Hatful of Hollow is more of a studio album (same musicians and songwriters) but no-one ever lists that when comparing the 4 Smiths studio albums.
If we're going to include a Morrissey compilation, then include them all.
Here's my list including compilations:
1. The Best of Morrissey (way better than Bona as also includes gems like Hairdresser, Lost, Now my heart etc
2. Viva Hate
3. Bona Drag
4. Your Arsenal
5. World of Morrissey
6. Early Burglary Years
7. Maladjusted
8. Kill Uncle
9. Years of
10. Suedehead - Best of Morrissey
11. Ringleader
12. Southpaw
13. Greatest Hits
14. You are the quarry

All bona drag songs take place over 2 years and it is widely known It was almost going to be an album but eventually turned into a group of singles. Best Of was compiled by Rhino music from tracks spanning 20 years and had nothing to do with Morrissey so comparing it to Bona Drag is what's "ridiculous". And since when is using different musicians an excuse? Most Morrissey albums have 2 or 3 composers.

Bona Drag is an album to me. You don't have to like it :)

Last edited:
That's almost chronological. Poor Moz on a downward spiral.

Not at all. It's just that time wise the ones I heard first hit me the most. Then over the years you reevaluate. Actually taking another look at my list while I write this it isn't chronological at all. It's an optical illusion.

All bona drag songs take place over 2 years and it is widely known It was almost going to be an album but eventually turned into a group of singles. Best Of was compiled by Rhino music from tracks spanning 20 years and had nothing to do with Morrissey so comparing it to Bona Drag is what's "ridiculous". And since when is using different musicians an excuse? Most Morrissey albums have 2 or 3 composers.

Bona Drag is an album to me. You don't have to like it :)

The name 'Bona Drag' was going to be the name of a studio album but it certainly wasn't going to include most of the songs that appeared on the compilation.
They didn't 'turn into a group of singles'. Half the material that ended up on Bona Drag (the singles and their b-sides from Suedehead to Ouija Board) had already been released before Morrissey even came up with the name Bona Drag in late 89.
Bona Drag was going to be a brand new studio album with a bunch of brand new songs. It was never going to include the Viva Hate singles and their b-sides, so it's pretty stupid to consider the compilation Bona Drag a studio album.
Bona Drag songs took place over 2 years? Yet more bollocks. They were recorded in various sessions across 1987, 88, 89 and 90.

Anyway, Bona Drag is undoubtedly a great collection of songs - it's just not a studio album. And You Are The Quarry is Morrissey's worst - happy to agree with that.

Back
Top Bottom