Morrissey "Where are they now" ABC News

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/SummerConcert/Story?id=3886672&page=7

This piece seems strangely familiar...a repeat even, but it is listed as being posted today.

Where Are They Now: '80s New Wave Musicians

Don't Miss '80s Icon Cyndi Lauper on "GMA" Friday

By JONANN BRADY
June 12, 2008

Morrissey of The Smiths

Morrissey — born Steven Patrick Morrissey, in Manchester, England, to Irish immigrants — and Johnny Marr formed The Smiths in 1982, regarded by many as one of the most influential bands of the post-punk '80s.
Like Smith of The Cure, Morrissey was known for his dark, yet witty, lyrics in songs like "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "Bigmouth Strikes Again." The Smiths broke up in 1987, but not before putting out five best-selling albums and 14 top singles, and inspiring a devoted, if cultish, fan base, especially for Morrissey.

After The Smiths broke up, Morrissey continued with a successful solo career. He also piqued fans' interest about his ambiguous sexuality.
Some people say his lyrics point to the singer being gay, but Morrissey's own reticence on the subject has also raised questions. A 1984 article in Rolling Stone magazine said that Morrissey "admits he's gay." Morrissey responded that was news to him.
In interviews, the singer has said he is asexual and celibate, though in recent years, he has referred to a relationship (without naming the person's gender) and said he is no longer celibate.
It's been reported, but not confirmed, that Morrissey will release a new album in 2008.
Did You Know?
Morrissey has been a vegetarian since he was 11 years old, and is a member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
Morrissey has been involved in a number of celebrity feuds over the years. Besides his mutual antipathy with Cure leader Smith, and ongoing battles with former band mates, Morrissey recently criticized fellow performers who made it big in the '80s — Madonna and George Michael.
While performing at a PETA benefit show in Virginia in July, Morrissey commented on Madonna's adoption of a boy from Malawi: "I wouldn't be surprised if she made that African boy she adopted into a coat, and wore him for 15 minutes, then threw it away."
Of Michael, Morrissey said, rather cryptically, in a 1991 Details magazine profile: "If George Michael had to live my life for five minutes, he'd strangle himself with the nearest piece of cord."

and the obligatory Robert Smith/Morrissey hatred bit:

Robert Smith of The Cure

The Cure formed in England in 1976, and while the band has undergone a number of personnel changes through the years, frontman Robert Smith has always been there. It was his signature look — white makeup, dark eyeliner, red lipstick and spiked black hair — that popularized the "goth" movement. The band's depressing lyrics further cemented them as the faces of the gloomy goths.

Smith, however, never liked the goth label. By the early '80s, Smith was writing catchier, pop-friendly songs like "Let's Go to Bed," and went on to write hits like "Just Like Heaven" and "Friday I'm in Love." The Cure's best-selling album, "Disintegration," was released in 1989, and included "Lovesong" and "Fascination Street."
In recent years, Smith has collaborated with musician Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins, and the bands Korn and Blink-182.
But The Cure goes on. Smith, Simon Gallup, Jason Cooper and Porl Thompson are currently in the studio finishing off their latest album, which is scheduled for release in spring 2008. It will be The Cure's 13th studio release, and is expected to be a double CD package. The band also has a 2008 tour in the works.
Did You Know?
According to Siouxsie and the Banshees bassist Steven Severin, Smith first used Siouxsie Sioux's lipstick after using opium. However, Smith claims that he has worn makeup since he was young.
"South Park" creator and Cure fan Trey Parker asked Smith to voice himself in the show's first season episode called "Mecha-Streisand," where he took down a mechanical Barbra Streisand. At the episode's conclusion, Smith walked away triumphantly, and Kyle Broflovski shouted, "'Disintegration' is the best album ever!"
Smith and Morrissey, lead singer of The Smiths, were mutual enemies in the '80s and '90s, with Smith once quoted as saying, "If Morrissey says don't eat meat, then I'll eat meat, because I hate Morrissey." It's reported the two get along much better these days.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/SummerConcert/Story?id=3886672&page=6

Please someone send an email to ABC that feud between Morrissey and Robert Smith is a false romour.

*yawn*

Where Are They Now: ABC News

Don't Miss More Dumbed-Down Irresponsible Pseudo-Journalism on "GMA" Friday or any day!

By WORM
June 12, 2008

ABC News

Decades after its founding in 1948, ABC became a strong and trusted presence in the mainstream media with the ascension of Roone Arledge as President of ABC News in 1977. For several years, the network provided quality coverage of local, national, and global news events. Programs such as 20/20 and the nightly news, hosted by Peter Jennings, became trusted sources of news for tens of millions of Americans.

Then, years ago, ABC, in search of profit at any cost, just like every other network, began producing shoddy material that blurred the line between fact and fiction, news and entertainment. The breakdown of all journalistic standards and the abdication of all moral responsibility make the savage 1970s satire "Network" look like a pale prediction of the future. So idiotic and flaky is the news on ABC and other networks, they have taken to serving up "user-friendly content" like "Where Are They Now?" segments in lieu of such boring, outmoded content like "news", "informed opinion", and "valuable public information".

ABC, like its TV brethren, remains an egregious affront to both human dignity and basic intelligence. The network's unstated mission-- hand in glove with that of its parent company, Walt Disney-- is nothing less than the complete dumbing down of the American citizenry until the latter becomes a herd of mindless consumers who behave like babies with charge cards.

Did You Know?

The utter negligence of ABC News and its brethren contributed directly to America's illegal war of occupation against a sovereign nation! Not content with merely portraying America as the dumbest, most ignorant, most infantile nation on the planet, ABC also saw fit to enable the government to depict Americans as the most murderous, also. Thanks ABC!

where Are They Now: Abc News

Don't Miss More Dumbed-down Irresponsible Pseudo-journalism On "gma" Friday Or Any Day!

By Worm
June 12, 2008

Abc News

Decades After Its Founding In 1948, Abc Became A Strong And Trusted Presence In The Mainstream Media With The Ascension Of Roone Arledge As President Of Abc News In 1977. For Several Years, The Network Provided Quality Coverage Of Local, National, And Global News Events. Programs Such As 20/20 And The Nightly News, Hosted By Peter Jennings, Became Trusted Sources Of News For Tens Of Millions Of Americans.

Then, Years Ago, Abc, In Search Of Profit At Any Cost, Just Like Every Other Network, Began Producing Shoddy Material That Blurred The Line Between Fact And Fiction, News And Entertainment. The Breakdown Of All Journalistic Standards And The Abdication Of All Moral Responsibility Make The Savage 1970s Satire "network" Look Like A Pale Prediction Of The Future. So Idiotic And Flaky Is The News On Abc And Other Networks, They Have Taken To Serving Up "user-friendly Content" Like "where Are They Now?" Segments In Lieu Of Such Boring, Outmoded Content Like "news", "informed Opinion", And "valuable Public Information".

Abc, Like Its Tv Brethren, Remains An Egregious Affront To Both Human Dignity And Basic Intelligence. The Network's Unstated Mission-- Hand In Glove With That Of Its Parent Company, Walt Disney-- Is Nothing Less Than The Complete Dumbing Down Of The American Citizenry Until The Latter Becomes A Herd Of Mindless Consumers Who Behave Like Babies With Charge Cards.

Did You Know?

The Utter Negligence Of Abc News And Its Brethren Contributed Directly To America's Illegal War Of Occupation Against A Sovereign Nation! Not Content With Merely Portraying America As The Dumbest, Most Ignorant, Most Infantile Nation On The Planet, Abc Also Saw Fit To Enable The Government To Depict Americans As The Most Murderous, Also. Thanks Abc!

Lol!! :D

After The Smiths broke up, Morrissey continued with a successful solo career. He also piqued fans' interest about his ambiguous sexuality.
Some people say his lyrics point to the singer being gay, but Morrissey's own reticence on the subject has also raised questions. A 1984 article in Rolling Stone magazine said that Morrissey "admits he's gay." Morrissey responded that was news to him.
In interviews, the singer has said he is asexual and celibate, though in recent years, he has referred to a relationship (without naming the person's gender) and said he is no longer celibate.

Gah! Shut up already! What a waste of space for the article. :rolleyes:

I do know that Worm makes me LOL. I did not know that Adam Ant dated Jamie Lee Curtis.

Gah! Shut up already! What a waste of space for the article. :rolleyes:

I do know that Worm makes me LOL. I did not know that Adam Ant dated Jamie Lee Curtis.

I knew Adam Ant dated Amanda Donohue before Jamie Lee Curtis. :p

Back
Top Bottom