Morrissey "California Son" posters removed from Liverpool train stations

Commuter offended by Morrissey posters plastered across Merseyrail station - Liverpool Echo
The former Smiths frontman has shown support for Tommy Robinson and far-right party For Britain

Excerpt:

Merseyrail has ordered the removal of Morrissey posters plastered on its services and stations after an angry commuter complained about the singer's controversial views.

The former Smiths frontman is advertising his new solo album, California Son, which is due to be released on Friday.
However, his support for far-right parties and leaders have made him a controversial figure - leaving Merseyrail scrambling to get the posters removed after one Liverpool commuter voiced his offence.

Jack Dotchin, 32, was taking a Southport service into Moorfields this morning when he spotted the posters - and he wasn't happy.

The Toxteth resident said: "[The things Morrissey has said] offend me and a lot of other people. He's very far right these days, going on about immigrants and being pseudo-racist.

"It's just strange to think Merseyrail, being a public service for the people, is advertising someone with his views.

"It's just pictures of Morrissey with his new album. He's not doing anything inappropriate but his name is a by-name for questionable views at the moment.

"Lots of record stores are refusing to stock it so I'm not the only one to say it."

full

Last edited by a moderator:
A strange situation actually!
I thought that instead of opinions, it was interesting to see if this is legal or not... and it seems even more complicated.
I don't think the U.K. government can ban the poster of a singer, though a private company has that right. The strange situation is that the private company is working on a National Railroad of the U.K...
As to make it even more weird, the private company is mostly owned by Nederlandse Spoorwegen and Network Rail... a Dutch state-owned company and a British state-owned company. Can the Dutch government or the British government ban the posters of a singer in the U.K.???

I doubt that Morrissey or BMG would choose to sue them, but it is quite interesting from a legal point of view. It doesn't seem to be legal (though I am not 100% sure).

Shows how insane the world is getting nowadays, but this will probably get the album more publicity than the posters ever would have. :lbf:

The idea that there's no such thing as bad publicity is absolute nonsense.
Morrissey's fan-base hemorrhaged last summer on the back of bad publicity when the tour was announced with tiny venues hardly shifting any tickets. It will be hemorrhaging further the more this stuff circulates. It can probably only be stopped now by him actually reading the For Bigots manifesto (for the first time) realising how most of their policies (animal rights and immigration aside) are totally at odds with virtually everything he and The Smiths ever stood for, and then clearly and unambiguously retracting his support for the nasty toxic f***ers.

Liverpool
Used to be a sweet town
Holding so tightly
To The Beatles' hand
But that was all
In some distant land
Blazer and tie
And a big bright healthy smile
Used to make all
Of our trials worthwhile
Used to be a sweet town
And I'm not to blame
But something went wrong
Something went wrong
And I know
I'm not to blame
Something went wrong
Can't be to blame
Ah

The lightweights, the stuck in the 80's brigade that forgot what rock and roll is about, the Labour voting sheeple.

I ain’t gonna argue with you, man. I respect your right to have an opinion, even tho I don’t i agree with it. Pointless butting heads on every single post tho. :rock:

Just saw the advert for the new album on the TV, so I suppose someone will complain about this and get it stopped? pathetic snowflakeism at its worst :(

I bet this album will sell more then LIHS. Why? Because so many people who have never bought a Moz album will get this one because they agree with his views and admire him for speaking out.

Reminds me of that episode in married with children where Marcy says “some woman in Michigan didn’t like it” (not you tat). Sad it’s a public space

It's all become quite laughable now, hasn't it?

I don't understand why people would go to such lengths as to have this poster taking down? Morrissey isn't even spouting out racism - no, not really. Yes, he seems to have expressed similar views to those that are evidently racist, but c'mon, is no-one entitled to their own opinion anymore?

"Scoop me from the herd because the herd are the same everywhere!"

I bet this album will sell more then LIHS. Why? Because so many people who have never bought a Moz album will get this one because they agree with his views and admire him for speaking out.

It won’t balance out the thousands of lifelong fans that are now boycotting his stuff. Are you even listening to fan feedback? People are jumping ship more than ever. I hope it does go to #1, just for the laugh.

It won’t balance out the thousands of lifelong fans that are now boycotting his stuff. Are you even listening to fan feedback? People are jumping ship more than ever. I hope it does go to #1, just for the laugh.
I think the new 'fans' will over compensate for this. However a lot of old fans (despite their virtue signalling) might secretly buy it too.

Religious ignorance and bigotry? Haha! Islam is the most bigoted religion of all. Hates women, hates homosexuals, their prophet married a 9 year old girl. Look up Sharia law, educate yourself.
Exactly. Why don’t others understand this?

A niche of people are jumping ship(if they ever were on the ship). If you don’t like him anymore then stop posting and go on with your life.

Scousers...... offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.
Did the Echo do a piece criticing Liverpool fans for pushing bystanders into fountains in Barcelona?

Religious ignorance and bigotry? Haha! Islam is the most bigoted religion of all. Hates women, hates homosexuals, their prophet married a 9 year old girl. Look up Sharia law, educate yourself.
Islam is an absolute freak show. How the Left can defend a crazy cult with so many obvious negatives is beyond comedy. It's one of the reasons why the modern Left is a total laughing stock.

Islam is an absolute freak show. How the Left can defend a crazy cult with so many obvious negatives is beyond comedy. It's one of the reasons why the modern Left is a total laughing stock.
Hatred of women, hatred of gays, insistence of pushing their laws into everyone else...you guys talking about Islam or Christianity?

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom