Mike Joyce posts photos of Morrissey's handwritten lyrics for "The Headmaster Ritual" on Facebook

Pretty neat stuff, although I imagine it won't make it to true to you.

Mike Joyce's Facebook page photo
Just been in the basement sorting out some boxes and here's a little snippet of what I found. These hand written lyrics by Moz for 'The Headmaster Ritual'

headmaster_lyrics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
History has proven otherwise. Morrissey was 75 - 85% of the whole thing. I bought the cassette because I read the interviews. That's not to know Johnny but if it had been another singer he might be selling used cars.

uh????? i don't understand what are you trying to say. i disagree with Moz being 85% of the whole thing like u said it. I shouldn't waste my time arguing with some of moz delusional fans tho. smnh @ myself

Calm down everyone. It's a great bit of Smiths-iana, if that's a word, and some of you are going off the deep end solely because of who delivered it.

Personally, I'm more interested in the bit underneath talking about being kicked in the shavers.

P.

Last edited:
What Morrissey seems to fail to realize, is that he was and is part of something larger than himself. Something I've said for years about lead singer syndrome, is that the singer is only as good as the band behind him. They are the ones that help coax out greatness and push the singer toward something incredible.

Not necessarily true. Moz would have been great even if he'd hooked up with Boz from the get-go. I don't believe for a moment that Joyce "coaxed" anything out of Morrissey - apart from derision.

Ditto Brian Wilson who didn't need Mike Love (as evidenced by his collaborations with Van Dyke Parks and Roger Christian).

Agree with Skinny - just some interesting Smiths-iana. Mike hasn't said they are the original first draft or anything. Still, I wonder how much Mike wants for it, and what else he found in the cellar... Certainly whets the appetite.

Also, 'basement' come on Mike, you are from Manchester not Manhatten.

Dave

Interesting memorobilia there, however was that Mr. Joyce's brother in "Simply Red" or not ? He never talks about that.

Little-known historical fact: Gandhi could spell "belligerent" : that's precisely what kept him from becoming a hugely influential popstar...

Joyce was a hell of a drummer. Listen to Rank. I'm not trying to state that he was THE genius behind the Smiths, just good at what he did with Johnny and Andy to provide the framework for Morrissey to do his thing. There's a reason that bands don't cite the Nosebleeds as an influence.

I also think that Day/Boorer/Whyte provided an excellent creative push to Morrissey that I simply don't see in songs like The Bullfighter Dies or Kiss Me A Lot.

This and the lyrics have sagged a bit as well:

Kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot
Kiss me all over my face
Kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot
Kiss me all over the place

Give me Roy's Keen over this for a cheeky song any day of the week.

Mike Joyce isn't going down in a pantheon of amazing drummers. He's no Neil Pert or John Bonham. He is however a very solid drummer and was a part of the smiths sound. He may be replaceable but he's a part of their sound and for better or worst helped shape it.

Mike Joyce isn't going down in a pantheon of amazing drummers. He's no Neil Pert or John Bonham. He is however a very solid drummer and was a part of the smiths sound. He may be replaceable but he's a part of their sound and for better or worst helped shape it.

agreed

uh????? i don't understand what are you trying to say. i disagree with Moz being 85% of the whole thing like u said it. I shouldn't waste my time arguing with some of moz delusional fans tho. smnh @ myself

I love the idea of assigning a % to each Smith.

I'd go with:
Morrissey - 40%
Marr - 35%
Rourke - 20%
Joyce - 5%

Sorry Mike.

I'd go with:
Morrissey - 40%
Marr - 35%
Rourke - 20%
Joyce - 5%

Sorry Mike.

Sorry but there would be no Silly Steven CrankFraud as we know him/it today but for Johnny, Andy and Mike !
Nobody else in Manchester had any time to take Pansy Pete seriously he, struggled with his confidence and communication skills for more worse than he still does today.
This could explain his insecure strange T T Y outpouring of late. The penny has finally dropped that the baton of fatal fame has well and truely been handed over to Edd and others, just as it always has and always will do.
There is no doubt whatsoever that Steven CrankFraud and Boorer could go on for years doing what they do today, churning out more and more mundane kiss me a lot droll backed up with conspiracy theories that there are dark forces at work within the record industry, police industry, royal industry, vegan industry, showbiz industry, government industry ,solo industry constantly strangling their creative intelligence.

For me I find it highly entertaining to see a grown man behave in this way and long may it continue, it's ground breaking we cannot deny him that honour.
Johnny, Mike and Andy ! Oh so much to thank you for lads, if it wasn't for you three this pathetic awkward silly pillock would have gone unnoticed, I hope and prey that one day Manchester honours the three of you for what you achieved.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

What Morrissey seems to fail to realize, is that he was and is part of something larger than himself. Something I've said for years about lead singer syndrome, is that the singer is only as good as the band behind him. They are the ones that help coax out greatness and push the singer toward something incredible.

I think you fail to realize Morrissey has known this all along. Get over yourself.

I think you fail to realize Morrissey has known this all along. Get over yourself.

And that's why we get the stellar trilogy of Ringleader, Refusal, and World Peace. I suppose you could cobble together one album out of the three.

God, Morrissey fanatics can be ill tempered.

Sorry but there would be no Silly Steven CrankFraud as we know him/it today but for Johnny, Andy and Mike !
Nobody else in Manchester had any time to take Pansy Pete seriously he, struggled with his confidence and communication skills for more worse than he still does today.
This could explain his insecure strange T T Y outpouring of late. The penny has finally dropped that the baton of fatal fame has well and truely been handed over to Edd and others, just as it always has and always will do.
There is no doubt whatsoever that Steven CrankFraud and Boorer could go on for years doing what they do today, churning out more and more mundane kiss me a lot droll backed up with conspiracy theories that there are dark forces at work within the record industry, police industry, royal industry, vegan industry, showbiz industry, government industry ,solo industry constantly strangling their creative intelligence.

For me I find it highly entertaining to see a grown man behave in this way and long may it continue, it's ground breaking we cannot deny him that honour.
Johnny, Mike and Andy ! Oh so much to thank you for lads, if it wasn't for you three this pathetic awkward silly pillock would have gone unnoticed, I hope and prey that one day Manchester honours the three of you for what you achieved.

But wouldn't this work the same way in reverse? Without the fairy dust (pardon the pun) that brought Morrissey out of his shell and onto the stage capturing the hearts and souls of so many wayward, angstridden, lost teenagers the rest of the guys might have made a good club band. The instrumentalists are truly the kindling of The Smiths fire, but Moz was the spark that ignited the band into the realm of super stardom. Without his inclusion it is hard to picture them with the same level of success they achieved with him. So with that said my vote would be Morrissey 50% the rest 50%.

I would take Mike Joyce , Andy Rourke, and Craig Gannon any day over the shit he has now. I don't even know their names. Would just have to keep Andy away from the porkey pies, blood sausage, and KFC or whatever Brits eat. Anonymous-

I'd go with:
Morrissey - 40%
Marr - 35%
Rourke - 20%
Joyce - 5%

Sorry Mike.
I go 100% Morrissey. The rest just got lucky, hence the aftersmiths successes.

But wouldn't this work the same way in reverse? Without the fairy dust (pardon the pun) that brought Morrissey out of his shell and onto the stage capturing the hearts and souls of so many wayward, angstridden, lost teenagers the rest of the guys might have made a good club band. The instrumentalists are truly the kindling of The Smiths fire, but Moz was the spark that ignited the band into the realm of super stardom. Without his inclusion it is hard to picture them with the same level of success they achieved with him. So with that said my vote would be Morrissey 50% the rest 50%.

In that case my vote would be that Steven bought a lucky lottery ticket won a huge amount and blew it all trying to be clever proving that he could go it all alone with lawnmower parts and here we find ourselves at crap central with nothing to declare but cheese for brains.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom