Mike Joyce posts photos of Morrissey's handwritten lyrics for "The Headmaster Ritual" on Facebook

Pretty neat stuff, although I imagine it won't make it to true to you.

Mike Joyce's Facebook page photo
Just been in the basement sorting out some boxes and here's a little snippet of what I found. These hand written lyrics by Moz for 'The Headmaster Ritual'

headmaster_lyrics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What Morrissey seems to fail to realize, is that he was and is part of something larger than himself. Something I've said for years about lead singer syndrome, is that the singer is only as good as the band behind him. They are the ones that help coax out greatness and push the singer toward something incredible.

What Morrissey seems to fail to realize, is that he was and is part of something larger than himself. Something I've said for years about lead singer syndrome, is that the singer is only as good as the band behind him. They are the ones that help coax out greatness and push the singer toward something incredible.

Joyce pushed Morrissey onto something incredible? Sheesh....

Every band becomes part of something larger than themselves if they deserve it. It's called fame. The reason The Smiths became what they did and still are is because of Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's music. But really if you want to boil it down even further,it's Morrissey himself. He isn't just a lead singer with so called lead singer syndrome. How is that not obvious to you? No one is leaping to the stage for anyone else.

Bull Ox! "Just been in the basement" More like "my mom just kicked me out of the basement and told me to get a job." I'm not paying more than 2 squid for these on EBay UK.

Nigel the British Vegetarian

Every band becomes part of something larger than themselves if they deserve it. It's called fame. The reason The Smiths became what they did and still are is because of Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's music. But really if you want to boil it down even further,it's Morrissey himself. He isn't just a lead singer with so called lead singer syndrome. How is that not obvious to you? No one is leaping to the stage for anyone else.

ok i don't mind Joyce, but i somewhat agree with you until the it's Morrissey himself part. Marr was just as important as Moz for the Smiths and the reason the Smiths became what they did is because of those two. Andy Rourke was great as well tho

This is cute, but sometimes Joyce seems obsessed with Moz and is kinda creepy. A few days ago he posted a Morrissey interview on his twitter and he's always posting videos of moz and talking qbout him on twitter.

Joyce was a hell of a drummer. Listen to Rank. I'm not trying to state that he was THE genius behind the Smiths, just good at what he did with Johnny and Andy to provide the framework for Morrissey to do his thing. There's a reason that bands don't cite the Nosebleeds as an influence.

I also think that Day/Boorer/Whyte provided an excellent creative push to Morrissey that I simply don't see in songs like The Bullfighter Dies or Kiss Me A Lot.

If he were to sell these and profit, would Morrissey receive royalties...or would he have to sue him in court to get a piece?

Nice stuff, and I'm sure they are genuine. But the only way this will get mentioned on True To You is if Joyce tries to sell them, in which case Morrissey will swear blind they are not his (as he did with the leather stage shoes his ex tour manager sold a couple of years back).

Joyce was a hell of a drummer. Listen to Rank. I'm not trying to state that he was THE genius behind the Smiths, just good at what he did with Johnny and Andy to provide the framework for Morrissey to do his thing. There's a reason that bands don't cite the Nosebleeds as an influence.

I also think that Day/Boorer/Whyte provided an excellent creative push to Morrissey that I simply don't see in songs like The Bullfighter Dies or Kiss Me A Lot.

Joyce's drumming on the Rank version of "TQID" just helps catapult the whole track into the outer reaches of manic breathlessness. Pretty impressive from a guy who sounded like a metronome on the Smiths' first album ...

I don't think people give jesse enough credit as a songwriter. Also, Matt is a hell of a drummer

Joyce's drumming on the Rank version of "TQID" just helps catapult the whole track into the outer reaches of manic breathlessness. Pretty impressive from a guy who sounded like a metronome on the Smiths' first album ...

Right? He definitely improved over time. That whole album is a testament to the fact.

Joyce's drumming on the Rank version of "TQID" just helps catapult the whole track...
... Pretty impressive from a guy who sounded like a metronome on the Smiths' first album ...

:rofl: :rofl:

ok i don't mind Joyce, but i somewhat agree with you until the it's Morrissey himself part. Marr was just as important as Moz for the Smiths and the reason the Smiths became what they did is because of those two. Andy Rourke was great as well tho

History has proven otherwise. Morrissey was 75 - 85% of the whole thing. I bought the cassette because I read the interviews. That's not to know Johnny but if it had been another singer he might be selling used cars.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom