Mancunion: Pretenders live in Manchester: "Punk poetry, new ventures, and love letters to The Smiths" (November 2, 2023)

640px-PretendersSubter260418-10_40855550645-3111ad0d~2.jpg

Pretenders live in Manchester: Punk poetry, new ventures, and love letters to The Smiths.
By Jacob Ainsworth.

Excerpt:

"Hynde’s knack for sparking reactions was still very much present, too. After wishing Manchester’s revered guitar hero Johnny Marr a happy birthday (communicated directly through a real-time phone call with his son Nile Marr, who was present in the audience), Hynde expressed her love for Marr’s estranged songwriter partner, Morrissey: “I love Johnny… I also love Morrissey… a bit controversial, I know.” The remark was greeted with the passionate cheers of those who see him as a landmark, life-changing songwriter, and the boos of those who see him as a misguided jingoist. Hynde couldn’t care less about her audience’s sudden split, drawling “I don’t care. I love you, Morrissey” before leading her band into a cover of Morrissey’s ‘Everyday Is Like Sunday’. The singer wore an infectious grin as she indulged in Morrissey’s Mancunian melancholy."

Additional:

Footage of Everyday Is Like Sunday from said concert.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Oh, you mean Nile “saying the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels”? Why is uncriticized freedom of expression a privilege only afforded to your hero Morrissey?
You use “uncriticized freedom of expression” so contemptuously. What’s wrong with you? :rolleyes:
And in fact, what are you actually complaining about? Are you seriously complaining that a fellow poster on this site doesn’t complain enough to satisfy you? That seems to be your post’s only point, idiotic gripe though it is

The World Will Listen. If enough people like Hynde have the guts to say what they really think. The cancel culture ouroboros is long overdue eating itself. The cancel culture pencil is well overdue snapping in two. The cancel culture....ah you know what I mean.

iStock-wildpixel.jpg

Had she lived, I think Kirsty MacColl would have been another in that small group of people who would still be on good terms with both, and could theoretically bang their heads together. That said, even if Chrissie secretly invited them both over, then locked them in a room together, I doubt anything positive could be achieved.
Absolutely, Kirsty was another of those mutual friends who was a peacemaker. I still wish Kirsty's family had gotten some level of justice after she passed.
Moz and Johnny are being silly and I'm sure they know it - even JM said that he'd like things to be better because life is short. And as usual, most of the problems between them seem to be caused by 'middle men' who like provoking all the he said/she said stuff in the press for their own gain. The fact that they're being so petty even after losing Andy this year is just... ugh.

Absolutely, Kirsty was another of those mutual friends who was a peacemaker. I still wish Kirsty's family had gotten some level of justice after she passed.
Moz and Johnny are being silly and I'm sure they know it - even JM said that he'd like things to be better because life is short. And as usual, most of the problems between them seem to be caused by 'middle men' who like provoking all the he said/she said stuff in the press for their own gain. The fact that they're being so petty even after losing Andy this year is just... ugh.

I’m sure if Morrissey sincerely apologized to Johnny the situation would be better, but that’s never going to happen is it?

I’m sure if Morrissey sincerely apologized to Johnny the situation would be better, but that’s never going to happen is it?
An apology and a bit of humble pie on both sides would be nice. One day!

What’s the point, though? A nice photo op? A reunion tour playing the same songs they’ve both been trotting out for years? Neither of them make good music anymore.
I couldn't care less about reunions - we have all the great music we'll ever need from either of them. But to me, their estrangement is THE massive, gaping wound in the whole Smiths story and it has been 'the elephant in the room' of their entire post-Smiths lives, it's always there. Moz even said similar in that 'pub meet' as I recall.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to care about whether JM is mates with Bernard Sumner or goes running with Matt Johnson or phones Bryan Ferry on the daily, these people mean absolutely nothing to me. The Smiths were so different. I just want M & M to make good that 'bad ending' over a few pints before the Reaper gets them.

What’s the point, though? A nice photo op? A reunion tour playing the same songs they’ve both been trotting out for years? Neither of them make good music anymore.
I wouldn't want them to ever reform or tour or whatever, but to hear that they were on good terms would, well, make me happy. Im a soppy old twat.

I don't think either of them wants (or needs) any kind of reconciliation. There may have been a time that 15 ago, but they both seem extremely dedicated to their current music. And their sociopolitical differences (whatever we might think of them) seem sincere and well-rooted.

Over and over and over again in the past handful of years, they both have emphasized how different of people they are. I think it's understandable for all of us to want some kind of amicable meeting of the minds given the amount of importance that bandwork was for all of us (and for them), but I suspect if it ever happens it will be a very private affair and not broadcast for our parasocial glee.

There is a certain amount of joy, at least for me, that the work will endure and that they're both free to do their own thing. Band breakups like divorces, can be cathartic and good for the happiness and vitality of all parties.

I couldn't care less about reunions - we have all the great music we'll ever need from either of them. But to me, their estrangement is THE massive, gaping wound in the whole Smiths story and it has been 'the elephant in the room' of their entire post-Smiths lives, it's always there. Moz even said similar in that 'pub meet' as I recall.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to care about whether JM is mates with Bernard Sumner or goes running with Matt Johnson or phones Bryan Ferry on the daily, these people mean absolutely nothing to me. The Smiths were so different. I just want M & M to make good that 'bad ending' over a few pints before the Reaper gets them.
PERFECTO RE AGREE

They have a child together!! They would be at peace if they gave each other a hug. There is love. To form such a relevant band there has to be love!! You have an unbreakable bond: Put pride and egos aside, Moz and Johnny! There are many of us who want to see them at least give each other a hug!! Life is short! Cutting Egos!!!!

Attachments

• 69f96382b5b5cf23a8a04ea3307bfce9.jpg
    69f96382b5b5cf23a8a04ea3307bfce9.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
Morrissey's unrequited love for Marr has shaped his life.

The idea that Kirsty MacColl would support a right wing goon is laughable.

Hynde has defended Mozballs' Islamophobia in the past, coming up with her own right wing goonery to justify it.

Morrissey's unrequited love for Marr has shaped his life.

The idea that Kirsty MacColl would support a right wing goon is laughable.

Hynde has defended Mozballs' Islamophobia in the past, coming up with her own right wing goonery to justify it.

Is it a coincidence that the Mozzer has cancelled his next show in Singapore on the day Johnny has released an album? Johnny’s doing promo everywhere, being his charming self. Was that too much for Moz to take? Thoughts of what could have been with Johnny still at his side?

Is it a coincidence that the Mozzer has cancelled his next show in Singapore on the day Johnny has released an album? Johnny’s doing promo everywhere, being his charming self. Was that too much for Moz to take? Thoughts of what could have been with Johnny still at his side?
This site has some pretty bad fanfic so you are definitely in the right place

Lmfao, you lot do chat some shite 😂 Never change solo :')

They have a child together!! They would be at peace if they gave each other a hug. There is love. To form such a relevant band there has to be love!! You have an unbreakable bond: Put pride and egos aside, Moz and Johnny! There are many of us who want to see them at least give each other a hug!! Life is short! Cutting Egos!!!!
Yeah, he will listen and will knock on the dwarf marr door for a reunion.
M doesn't need money, attention nor pity. Maybe the dwarf.

And by the way, take a look at this, maybe you will get a little glimpse of M point of view

Yeah, he will listen and will knock on the dwarf marr door for a reunion.
M doesn't need money, attention nor pity. Maybe the dwarf.

And by the way, take a look at this, maybe you will get a little glimpse of M point of view

That letter certainly served Morrissey well! Now even journalists barely mention him in articles on the Smiths. What a ridiculous rant that was. Shameful display of jealousy and vindictiveness.

Back
Top Bottom