Mancunion: Pretenders live in Manchester: "Punk poetry, new ventures, and love letters to The Smiths" (November 2, 2023)

640px-PretendersSubter260418-10_40855550645-3111ad0d~2.jpg

Pretenders live in Manchester: Punk poetry, new ventures, and love letters to The Smiths.
By Jacob Ainsworth.

Excerpt:

"Hynde’s knack for sparking reactions was still very much present, too. After wishing Manchester’s revered guitar hero Johnny Marr a happy birthday (communicated directly through a real-time phone call with his son Nile Marr, who was present in the audience), Hynde expressed her love for Marr’s estranged songwriter partner, Morrissey: “I love Johnny… I also love Morrissey… a bit controversial, I know.” The remark was greeted with the passionate cheers of those who see him as a landmark, life-changing songwriter, and the boos of those who see him as a misguided jingoist. Hynde couldn’t care less about her audience’s sudden split, drawling “I don’t care. I love you, Morrissey” before leading her band into a cover of Morrissey’s ‘Everyday Is Like Sunday’. The singer wore an infectious grin as she indulged in Morrissey’s Mancunian melancholy."

Additional:

Footage of Everyday Is Like Sunday from said concert.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Yeessss! What a f***ing hero. I live in hope that she will bang their heads together... we need more people with guts like this. I would have paid to see Nile's face :ROFLMAO:

It's hard to deny greatness, especially when you were a contemporary of the artist - going through similar struggles at the same time. She's always been open and clear about her feelings.

Excellent Chrissie!! How daring great!! We might ask you to bring them both together. Can you imagine Johnny making a surprise appearance at a Moz concert? No??no???

It's hard to deny greatness, especially when you were a contemporary of the artist - going through similar struggles at the same time. She's always been open and clear about her feelings.
Always been a groupie and bandwagon jumper. 100% yuck.

I live in hope that she will bang their heads together... we need more people with guts like this.
Had she lived, I think Kirsty MacColl would have been another in that small group of people who would still be on good terms with both, and could theoretically bang their heads together. That said, even if Chrissie secretly invited them both over, then locked them in a room together, I doubt anything positive could be achieved.

I was at the gig. She had said earlier that they played a song in tribute to their second favourite guitarist - Johnny Ray. But that their favourite guitarist was Johnny Marr. A few songs laters we all sang happy birthday to Johnny, even though it was a week before his birthday.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom