Kierkegaard vs. Camus

penfoldsfive

resident alien
do you take the leap of faith? or subscribe to the futility of this life and thus suicide? a serious inquiry

Camus didn't really subscribe to suicide. The futility of life, yes. But few of the central characters commit suicide- they die because society cannot accept that they live in and enjoy the "now" and don't particularly worry about death.

true. i sacrificed his true views for the sake of internet sensationalism. whats the count now?

but this is my dilemma now. 'rob a man of his life lie'..... i am on the verge of collapse because i have run out of defenses for christianity. it is harsh and i want to know what to believe in.

but this is my dilemma now. 'rob a man of his life lie'..... i am on the verge of collapse because i have run out of defenses for christianity. it is harsh and i want to know what to believe in.

thats no reason to give in to christ :o
find a reason to love the idea of God, 1st :straightface:
for me its women, now, now I dont mean just cuz of the whole sex thing :rolleyes:
lange1ve.jpg
:lbf:
but beyond that, to me, the whole idea of a human female is just well :crazy:
its gotta be divine in origin :confused:
right? or maybe aliens :eek:
aww shit, i just dont know again, thx penny...

If you want my two cents, it's futile to go in search of belief. Belief manifests itself as an instinct and a certainty - it is the net result in your mind of things you have already absorbed, observed, understood but not articulated. Belief is something of which your being is already sure despite natural doubts in your mind, or it is not belief. Kierkegaard didn't tentatively take the leap of faith because he thought it was worth trying, he had in essence already taken it. And I'm sure Camus didn't espouse the futility of life out of preference - no doubt, that was simply how human existence appeared to him.

Keep your eyes open. Observe actions, observe their consequences. Understand how the world works, in great things and small. See where neccessity ends and choice begins. You already know what you believe, if you look in the right place. But remember that it can and will change, that's life. "The right place" isn't books. But they show you how others have grappled with their issues, and pose important questions that are worth pondering.

For my part, I do not feel the slightest need for any God and see belief essentially as a basic set of mainly ethical convictions. For others, it's different.

Good luck. ;)

cheers

Last edited:
For my part, I do not feel the slightest need for any God and see belief essentially as a basic set of mainly ethical convictions. For others, it's different.

This is essentially how the first Christians understood the words "faith" and "belief". Not as holding an opinion that such-and-such exists, but a set of practiced ethical convictions. When Jesus rebuked the Apostles, it was because they had not demonstrated the necessary commitment to practicing and living Christian values, not because they didn't really think he was God's son. Nor would true Christianity have insisted on the need for God's existence; in fact, the lack of necessity was precisely the point.

If you want my two cents, it's futile to go in search of belief. Belief manifests itself as an instinct and a certainty - it is the net result in your mind of things you have already absorbed, observed, understood but not articulated. Belief is something of which your being is already sure despite natural doubts in your mind, or it is not belief. Kierkegaard didn't tentatively take the leap of faith because he thought it was worth trying, he had in essence already taken it. And I'm sure Camus didn't espouse the futility of life out of preference - no doubt, that was simply how human existence appeared to him.

Exactly. Philosohers, artists, writers - they don't change our personal belief system, they reveal it. Great thinkers help us better articulate and understand ourselves.

At least, that's how I've always experienced such inspiration.

Keierkegaard was hotter.

Way hotter.

Schopenhauer.jpg

He offered a bed, warm blankets and a cup of tea. Kierkegaard and Camus did not (though Camus was the sexier of the two, of course).

Schopenhauer.jpg

He offered a bed, warm blankets and a cup of tea. Kierkegaard and Camus did not (though Camus was the sexier of the two, of course).

Look, I don't know anything about your domestic situation, Our Lady, but I have my own bed, warm blankets, and tea. Real tea, not just teabags. Those things I can provide for myself.

But a hot man to share those things with me, and talk about philosophy? What I wouldn't give...

Look, I don't know anything about your domestic situation, Our Lady, but I have my own bed, warm blankets, and tea. Real tea, not just teabags. Those things I can provide for myself.

But a hot man to share those things with me, and talk about philosophy? What I wouldn't give...

What's your currency, then? You have to have a currency.

Philosohers, artists, writers - they don't change our personal belief system, they reveal it. Great thinkers help us better articulate and understand ourselves.

But as Marx once said, 'Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is, to change it'.

Back
Top Bottom