Morrissey Central "Gold." (April 29, 2023)

Unknown-2.jpeg

The Smiths single 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' has certified as Gold in the UK, selling over 400,000 copies.

0be15b93-37f3-466a-b522-f567b4bd610f.jpg

Morrissey's lyrics and the Peanuts cartoon are a great fit. I loved Snoopy when I was a kid - I remember a pencil case with his favourite saying 'Good grief' being one of my treasured possessions. Later, when doing family history research, I found that a relative of mine (that I never met) was attached to anti-aircraft duties on a bridge over the River Rhine when the Charlie Brown creator, Charles M. Schulz, crossed over with thousands of other troops into Germany (at Bad Godesburg, I think) as part of the US 20th Armored Infantry Division in April 1944. Schulz's father was of German heritage.

Morrissey's lyrics and the Peanuts cartoon are a great fit. I loved Snoopy when I was a kid - I remember a pencil case with his favourite saying 'Good grief' being one of my treasured possessions. Later, when doing family history research, I found that a relative of mine (that I never met) was attached to anti-aircraft duties on a bridge over the River Rhine when the Charlie Brown creator, Charles M. Schulz, crossed over with thousands of other troops into Germany (at Bad Godesburg, I think) as part of the US 20th Armored Infantry Division in April 1944. Schulz's father was of German heritage.
1945, I mean, Sorry, I've been sitting in the sun and drinking!

Original 12" in 'near mint or mint' condition cost from €50 to €90. I'd prefer a new remastered 12" for £10.
You can still pick up the rare extended 12" version, well, an extra 30 or so seconds on the end, for about 100 quid.
The only way to differentiate from them is A1 written on the run out groove tho

This might, conceivably, anticipate its introduction into the live set? It seems the obvious omission, thus far?

if streaming counts then eventually everything will end up gold,may take decades but could happen.

I doubt he’ll ever sing it live solo, but then again I never thought he’d ever dust off This Charming Man or Our Frank ever again, so…
our frank was more to do with alain as he has stated many times its his favourite M song.

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned luddite, but I'm not sure how including steams can be described as 'selling' over 400,000 copies - seems more like including radio plays to me. As someone who always used to know the top 40 and felt it meant something (even if I hated some of the songs) I find the whole chart/sales system baffling these days.
Streaming has changed the charts beyond recognition but they're still (in the UK at least) the best measure we've got of which songs are being listened to the most. (You could argue that in the old days, physical records were a more accurate unit of measurement, but we never knew how many times some of those pieces of vinyl were listened to, at home - but also, maybe that doesn't matter!)

Although when you look at something like the chart history of "As It Was" by Harry Styles (see below), I'm not sure if anything makes sense any more?

styles.jpg

Well done, Morrissey and all concerned! 🏅

If it's all the same with you, we bask in the reflected glory :sunrise:

Has Morrissey or the Smiths ever had anything go platinum?

(Also for any resident grammarians, for the above sentence is it 'has' or 'have'??)

Yes,, The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead, Hatful Of Hollow, Singles, The Very Best Of The Smiths and The Sound Od The Smiths. Morrissey - You Are The quarry. That's from wiki, someone else may know more,.

Beautiful Song lyrics 100% Morrissey low self-esteem high talent Viva Moz!!!! And The Smiths Moz DALEEE VENI A ARGENTINA Dear Morrissey I love you 😍

Back
Top Bottom