Morrissey Central "MURRAY MELVIN, RIP" (April 27, 2023)

MURRAY MELVIN, RIP

TELEMMGLPICT000003372921_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg

Murray+Melvin+A+taste+of+Honey+photo+1961.jpg

Related item:

There's a lag between the death and the Morrissey Central memorial, with other dead commemorated timelier during the delay. Is there a way to know at what time today this went up? I seriously doubt that Morrissey or Rayner reads this forum, let alone pokes around in Off-topic, but an anon called Fact Checker posted a guilt trip on the Murray Melvin oversight early this morning.

Anyway, Murray Melvin had one of the greatest faces. Two pictures aren't enough.

Ftw61WhXoAAVNsm-e1681580695841.jpg

One of my fave films ever.
I always remember this being on TV during the school summer holidays.
Its strange really but i only watched this film first in '84 i think purely because of the Morrissey connection and that alone.
As i watched it became like a Smiths sleeve come to life almost, the ' i dreamt about you last night' line etc. And all the other reference points.
But most importantly, a bloody great film with a brilliant cast.

Last edited:
great film,dora bryan was fantastic as usual,murray melvin is like a young peter cushing with the same thin features,sad that hes passed,may perpetual light shine upon him.

Its strange really but i only watched this film first in '84 i think purely because of the Morrissey connection and that alone.
As i watched it became like a Smiths sleeve come to life almost, the ' i fell out of bed last night' line etc. And all the other reference points.
But most importantly, a bloody great film with a brilliant cast.
The mother played a great part, the ding dongs were fantastic

There's a lag between the death and the Morrissey Central memorial, with other dead commemorated timelier during the delay. Is there a way to know at what time today this went up? I seriously doubt that Morrissey or Rayner reads this forum, let alone pokes around in Off-topic, but an anon called Fact Checker posted a guilt trip on the Murray Melvin oversight early this morning.

Anyway, Murray Melvin had one of the greatest faces. Two pictures aren't enough.

I, personally, think this is too much of a coincidence to actually be one. It's known that the Tour Manager has been here and used stuff from here before, so I don't see why not.

This is a nice music video set to clips of the film Sparrows Can't Sing (1963), in which Murray played Georgie.

I, personally, think this is too much of a coincidence to actually be one. It's known that the Tour Manager has been here and used stuff from here before, so I don't see why not.
think your right,M never mentioned bruce lee in autobigraphy or any interview ever then bruce pops up on the front of the drums and has been on the backdrop for at least 5 years and is still on it when he plays sure enough the telephone rings.thing about the internet is that I could be M,we will never know.

Murray was also in the very first episode of the British television series The Avengers in 1961, as Charlie, a member of a London drug-smuggling gang.

The lag is indeed striking - he passed away on 14th April. Maybe an indication that Moz only picked this up from the obituaries a week later and doesn't use social media?
His face and his voice were unique. Joan Littlewood knew what she was doing when she picked him out to play Geoffrey in Honey. Had the Geoffreys of this world ever been portrayed in this way before, either on stage or on celluloid? It was ground breaking. The 'naturalness' of his performance is outstanding.
There is a definite similarity between Murray Melvin and Kenneth Williams. Both received acclaim in the role of The Dauphin in Shaw's St Joan. Both from a working class background in London that no longer exists. Both with a face and voice that set them apart. But let's face it, Kenneth was never going to play 'natural' or 'serious' all his life. Murray's performance as an actor was never obviously comic and grotesque, unlike Kenneth, who became a bit trapped in the role of the comic and grotesque.
RIP Murray Melvin.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom