girlfriend

tamnin

Ok, this probably sounds like an exhausted subject, but I couldn't find any information on the topic.

In this book I started reading, "Bikubesong" (The Song of the Beehives), by Norwegian author Frode Grytten, the first chapter is about Morrissey. Lots of small stories, and lyric references. He mentions that Morrissey once had a girlfriend, but that she was so blabber-mouthed with the press, that he decided to go celibate. Is this true? Is it a rumour? And what is it based on?

Mmmmmmm... even if she existed and was blabber-mouthed with the press, we never knew anything about her... Nobody actually, as far as I'm concerned, has known anything ever about any real Morrissey's girlfriend (or boyfriend), so I don't think that story is serious or believable.

Don't be silly, of course not. A choice is hardly ever taken. He still has the same Girlfriend he's had for the last 20 years as far as I know

Don't be silly, of course not. A choice is hardly ever taken. He still has the same Girlfriend he's had for the last 20 years as far as I know
The last 30 years :)

Ok, this probably sounds like an exhausted subject, but I couldn't find any information on the topic.

In this book I started reading, "Bikubesong" (The Song of the Beehives), by Norwegian author Frode Grytten, the first chapter is about Morrissey. Lots of small stories, and lyric references. He mentions that Morrissey once had a girlfriend, but that she was so blabber-mouthed with the press, that he decided to go celibate. Is this true? Is it a rumour? And what is it based on?

Is what true? That he had a girlfriend? Or that she 'blabber-mouthed' it to the press? The story doesn't make sense, because 1) Nobody ever went to the press and 'blabbered' about being/having been Morrissey's girlfriend or boyfriend, 2) by the time that The Smiths were formed, or at least by the time they were starting to play live and catch the public attention, Morrissey had already decided to go celibate; he talked about it in his earliest interviews (as he said, he was prompted by a few bad experiences he had with relationships; it seems like he was referring to more than one); 3) before the Smiths, the public had no particular interest in Morrissey, so the media were hardly likely to be interested in the love life of some kid from Manchester who wrote a lot of letters to NME and occasionally published a review in the Record Mirror.

I am willing to bet that it is based on this quote by Morrissey:

"I had this relationship with a girl and she repeated everything that had happened between us, in very dramatic detail, to almost everybody I knew. That crushed me for something like two years, it was so awful. Not that she said anything that was so embarrassing...it was just like having one's dirty linen on display, as it were"

This quote was apparently in the book "Morrissey In Quotes", if I remember it correctly (or so people say; I don't own it). I don't know what interview it comes from.

Something was obviously lost in the translation. :rolleyes:

Here’s a Morrissey quote from the book ‘The Smiths “in quotes” it sounds similar, but I think he’s taking about a relationship he had in his teens/early 20s i.e. before The Smiths

“I had this relationship with a girl and she repeated everything that happened between us, in very dramatic detail, to almost everybody I knew. That crushed me for something like two years, it was so awful. Not that she said anything that was so embarrassing…it was just like having one’s dirty linen on display, as it were”

Here’s a Morrissey quote from the book ‘The Smiths “in quotes” it sounds similar, but I think he’s taking about a relationship he had in his teens/early 20s i.e. before The Smiths

“I had this relationship with a girl and she repeated everything that happened between us, in very dramatic detail, to almost everybody I knew. That crushed me for something like two years, it was so awful. Not that she said anything that was so embarrassing…it was just like having one’s dirty linen on display, as it were”
So, it's "The Smiths In Quotes". I stand corrected. Too bad nobody seems to know what interview that came from.

So, it's "The Smiths In Quotes". I stand corrected. Too bad nobody seems to know what interview that came from.

This quote is indeed from “The Smiths In quotes” I own the book, but unfortunately it doesn’t give any information as to when or where the quote came from.

I was quite surprised the first time I read it. It’s unusual for Morrissey to speak so freely and in so much detail about a relationship. I’m surprised it hasn't been brought up in other Morrissey/Smiths related books.

who????????

In "Bikubesong" (which by the way the author labelled a Smiths album in the shape of a book, and which also made Morrisseys name known to a lot of people in Norway, as the book and the play that followed became a huge success) the "person" who mentioned Morrissey having had a girlfriend, surely referred to it as a rumour that he'd heard.
I think it's anyway always about the myth. The person "M" gets comfort from knowing that he has Morrissey behind him, and chooses to think that he too chose never to have a girlfriend (based on Morrissey's bad experience)...

Isn't this a beautiful part of the myth, regardless of whether Morrissey has ever had a girlfriend at all?
For me, Morrissey's "rejection" of love has meant a lot. And I never really want to know the truth about his love life.

In "Bikubesong" (which by the way the author labelled a Smiths album in the shape of a book, and which also made Morrisseys name known to a lot of people in Norway, as the book and the play that followed became a huge success) the "person" who mentioned Morrissey having had a girlfriend, surely referred to it as a rumour that he'd heard.
I think it's anyway always about the myth. The person "M" gets comfort from knowing that he has Morrissey behind him, and chooses to think that he too chose never to have a girlfriend (based on Morrissey's bad experience)...

Isn't this a beautiful part of the myth, regardless of whether Morrissey has ever had a girlfriend at all?
For me, Morrissey's "rejection" of love has meant a lot. And I never really want to know the truth about his love life.

I'm positive that Morrissey has had girlfriends in the past, not because of the rumours but mainly because Johnny Marr mentioned it in a 1985 interview; and I don't believe he'd lie about something like that, being as close to Morrissey as he was. I pity Morrissey for his rejection of love. He always said past exoeriences had made him think no union between two people could ever be happy or last forever, and I thought it was a rather upsetting thing to hear. As though he'd given up all hope completely. I've never been in love, I've never even had sex, but I'd like to think that love exists, for all of us, even our morose hero :)

Back
Top Bottom