The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 50: GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA

How do you rate Girlfriend In A Coma?

• Total voters
big Fat **10**

This was 1988 when Girlfriend In A Coma was played all the time on KROQ....before that station went to hell about 1993

awww, the good times, huh? I am very pleased with Moz saying something about KROQ and how they USE to play him.....right before playing EDILS.....I laughed my butt off, and enjoyed every second of that!

Your comment henceforth reminding me why I loathe the radio so much!

This is the very first Smiths song I ever heard, the filmclip was on telly - it was the night of my 12th b'day sleepover & i've been 'hooked' ever since!

Dunno...but my mom's reaction was funny to me....:D
When people don't know the meanings of the songs, and what they hear and what they think are two different things, it makes me laugh...:D

Play her Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others....my mom nearly had a heart attack over that one...she didn't much care for the cover of the How Soon Is Now single either....

Play her Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others....my mom nearly had a heart attack over that one...she didn't much care for the cover of the How Soon Is Now single either....

Oh I have. And she asked me a bunch of questions about You're The One For Me Fatty too.....:D

Oh I have. And she asked me a bunch of questions about You're The One For Me Fatty too.....:D

Morrissey used to like to wear oversized blouses in concerts because they were easy to rip off...I never saw him wear one in public....

You told her that the "explosive kegs between his legs" are firecrackers, right?

7. One of the few Smiths songs I frequently skip.

I gave it an 8. I love the song but it's just not the best Smiths song out there. It's a bit overplayed though always makes me laugh.

I gave it an 8. I love the song but it's just not the best Smiths song out there. It's a bit overplayed though always makes me laugh.

The ending just has a somber tone to it..like it is THE SWAN SONG of The Smiths...it was the last single they actually released as a band..the others came after the break up....

Does any Morrissey/Smiths song deserve a 1?

The lowest I would score any Morrissey song would be a 4 for Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye, All The Lazy Dykes, and The Slum Mums

thats my low so far, for me it was 'east west' and another song will
get a 4 for me cause i never liked 'is it really so strange'
but lower as a 4, nah...

girfriend in a coma got a 7, decent single/song, but a bit the smiths-automatic-pilot-sound

it is, undoubtedly, a gorgeous song. one of the 25 or so near-perfect Smiths songs.
however, one point deducted (i.e. 9/10) as Mr Marr clearly nicked that lovely guitar line (perhaps the most pleasing musical part of the song) from an old Wet Wet Wet song!

it is, undoubtedly, a gorgeous song. one of the 25 or so near-perfect Smiths songs.
however, one point deducted (i.e. 9/10) as Mr Marr clearly nicked that lovely guitar line (perhaps the most pleasing musical part of the song) from an old Wet Wet Wet song!

He said it was from "Young, Gifted and Black" by Aretha Franklin :)

He said it was from "Young, Gifted and Black" by Aretha Franklin :)

Oh Amy. You seem to know everything!
Actually, I'd heard it was from 'Love is All Around' by the Troggs (written in the 60's I think). The riff is certainly very similar, if not identical, to the song. I vaguely know 'Young, Gifted, Black' and it does have some melodic similarity but not as obvious as the Troggs' song...

Oh Amy. You seem to know everything!
Actually, I'd heard it was from 'Love is All Around' by the Troggs (written in the 60's I think). The riff is certainly very similar, if not identical, to the song. I vaguely know 'Young, Gifted, Black' and it does have some melodic similarity but not as obvious as the Troggs' song...
he admitted to stealing from Aretha, maybe he would not from these
Zap_troggs.jpg

guys :rolleyes:

Morrissey used to like to wear oversized blouses in concerts because they were easy to rip off...I never saw him wear one in public....

You told her that the "explosive kegs between his legs" are firecrackers, right?

haha, well she hasn't asked about....at least not yet anyways...although heard at least 3 times. We'll see what happens, and what explanation I give....I thought above just seeming clueless about it and saying I don't know....:D

Back
Top Bottom