Dermot O'Leary - Don't meet your heroes

Some Sheridan Whiteside quotes found on 'tinternet.

Morrissey sees himself as Sheridan Whiteside, king of the put-downs. Dermot O'Leary was interviewing Sheridan Whiteside, not Morrissey.

Sheridan Whiteside: I simply will not sit down to dinner with midwestern barbarians, I think too highly of my digestive system.

Sheridan Whiteside: And now, will you all now leave quietly, or must I ask Miss Cutler to pass among you with a baseball bat?

Sheridan Whiteside: My great aunt Jennifer ate a whole box of candy every day of her life. She lived to be 102, and when she had been dead three days, she looked better than you do now.

Sheridan Whiteside: Go in and read the life of Florence Nightingale and learn how unfitted you are for your chosen profession.

Nurse Preen: I am not only walking out on this case, Mr. Whiteside, I am leaving the nursing profession. I became a nurse because all my life, ever since I was a little girl, I was filled with the idea of serving a suffering humanity. After one month with you , Mr. Whiteside, I am going to work in a munitions factory. From now on , anything I can do to help exterminate the human race will fill me with the greatest of pleasure. If Florence Nightingale had ever nursed YOU, Mr. Whiteside, she would have married Jack the Ripper instead of founding the Red Cross!

Maggie Cutler: You know, Sheridan, you have one great advantage over everyone else in the world. You've never had to meet Sheridan Whiteside.

Sheridan Whiteside: Strange? She's right out of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Sheriden Whiteside: Will you take your clammy hand off my chair? You have the touch of a love-starved cobra.

Sheridan Whiteside: This ageing debutante, Mr. Jefferson, I retain in my employ only because she is the sole support of her two-headed brother!

Sheridan Whiteside: Is there a man in the world who suffers as I do from the gross inadequacies of the human race?

Sheridan Whiteside: I suppose you've written the great American novel.
Bertram H. 'Bert' Jefferson: No, I've written the great American play.
Sheridan Whiteside: Well I don't want to read it.

Bertram H. 'Bert' Jefferson: How do you think Ohio women stack up?
Sheriden Whiteside: I've never gone in for stacking women up so I really can't say.

Nurse Preen: Mr. Whiteside, I can only be in one place at a time.
Sheridan Whiteside: That's very fortunate for this community.

Simply being in the presence of the obsequious little X-Factor host would be enough to make me sullen and churlish, in all fairness.

True. I feel for him, being a fellow Morrissey fan and all, but Dermot O'Leary is the antithesis of all that Morrissey represents.

Last edited:
True. I feel for him, being a fellow Morrissey fan and all, but Dermot O'Leary is the antithesis of all that Morrissey represents.

So is Russell Brand, so is Jonathan Ross, Lady Gaga etc - but Morrissey finds ways to deal with it when they offer him just the right amount of dribbling flattery. I don't have any particular feelings about Dermot, but he never stood a chance.

So is Russell Brand, so is Jonathan Ross, Lady Gaga etc - but Morrissey finds ways to deal with it when they offer him just the right amount of dribbling flattery. I don't have any particular feelings about Dermot, but he never stood a chance.

Amy calls it right.

I like the way Dermot gave a bit back to Moz, if you just flatter him etc he'd run rings around you, but Dermot wasn't rude or anything he simply pulled Moz up on some of his nasty little quips and to be honest I don't think Moz even minded, he even seemed to enjoy the banter and the challenge. It's good when Moz is given a sharp shrift because then he knows not everyone will let him get away with murder.

I think the Moz is just a rude bastard. If he doesnt want to be interviewed then why is he there? Why should O'Leary be insulted just because he admires Morrisseys work. If I turned up somewhere and was rude to my host I'd be out on my arse! These prima donna's appear to think they are above the normal rules of etiquette.

I agree with and I don't truly know exactly why Morrissey was able to sit down with Russell Brand, take a picture with Lady Gaga, or meet with Jonathan Ross. Morrissey still has a stated wariness about any praise he receives. Despite my deep disdain of him, Russell Brand seems like a genuine fan of Morrissey and Morrissey, in return, was more less receptive of him. Dermot O'Leary was not wise really when interviewing Morrissey. He should have known better.

Morrissey's difficulty with Brand is that he finds Brand attractive. This couldn't be more obvious.

Dear God, credit the man with a bit of taste! :sick:

Back
Top Bottom