Morrissey Central "CAPITOL RECORDS, LOS ANGELES" (February 17, 2023)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date

Screenshot_20230217-114303~3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
But we don't know anything, do we? How is that becoming clear? In a perverse way I find it very funny how Capitol didn't say a single word and everyone is jumping conclusions. Might as well Morrissey('s team) breached their contract.
True - but the album is described as hidden / lost / resting in peace. That would suggest that Capitol have the masters. Otherwise Moz would state that he is looking for another label to release the album, or start to think about releasing the album himself. It's not unusual for a label to take sole ownership of the masters as part of a licensing agreement. That might be for 2, 3 or 5 years. Maybe longer.

Last edited:
True - but the album is described as hidden / lost / resting in peace. That would suggest that Capitol have the masters. Otherwise Moz would state that he is looking for another label to release the album, or start to think about releasing the alum himself. It's not unusual for a label to take sole ownership of the masters as part of a licensing agreement. That might be for 2, 3 or 5 years. Maybe longer.
Described by Sam/whoever minion is managing M-Central. We know nothing for sure.

It's becoming clear that Moz signed a poorly worded contract with Capitol. He has signed over the masters to them and they have decided they no longer have any plans to release the album. After all the legal battles Moz has fought and lost in his time, I would have thought he would have had enough sense to have a really good lawyer thoroughly check the licensing agreement to cover this eventuality. It's appalling treatment of an artist, and Capitol clearly have form, but it's a good example of why checking the small print is so important.
Sounds about right. Probably why he fired Quest too, for poor representation. It's rough but onward he strides, in any case. This article of Fiona's, giving so much extra context, is really quite interesting, with a more confident tone about it.

I'm sure FiDo writing these never ending hit pieces will be much more effective than hiring a lawyer, Capitol will cave soon.

i cant speak to the level of fiona's writing as ive never actually read an article by her as i mostly dont care, but i get the impression of her that she's another LH who thinks that doing the same thing over and over in a show of devotion will eventually win over the object of her affection. Fiona, if you're reading this: it wont! mens minds dont work like that (although, actually, there is the case of hitler who married eva braun as a sort of thank you for her loyalty) and there's a term for women who exist in this state: desperate womanhood.

Didn't the Manchester band Happy Mondays steal the master tapes of an album from a record company?

I can imagine Morrissey scaling the wall of the Capitol building wearing his Gucci balaclava , Fiona outside in a car, engine running.

ENOUGH YOU ROBOT!!

Somebody remove her f***ing batteries, reprogram her or chuck her into the river. Something! This has crossed the border over to insanity!
My first reaction to seeing the headline was « how predictable » too.. Then I saw some of the other posts which suggested it was informative. I was not aware of these practices, where record companies buy the copyrights to an album which they then decide not to release. Are they hoping for a fat compensation when the artist tries to free himself from that contract?

My first reaction to seeing the headline was « how predictable » too.. Then I saw some of the other posts which suggested it was informative. I was not aware of these practices, where record companies buy the copyrights to an album which they then decide not to release. Are they hoping for a fat compensation when the artist tries to free himself from that contract?
Bearing in mind the sales of his past couple of albums, how much of a ransom do you think they could demand?

Last edited:
It's becoming clear that Moz signed a poorly worded contract with Capitol. He has signed over the masters to them and they have decided they no longer have any plans to release the album. After all the legal battles Moz has fought and lost in his time, I would have thought he would have had enough sense to have a really good lawyer thoroughly check the licensing agreement to cover this eventuality. It's appalling treatment of an artist, and Capitol clearly have form, but it's a good example of why checking the small print is so important.
But wasn’t he backed by the management company that also works for Madonna at the time of negotiating / signing this record deal? Wouldn’t you expect them to be more professional? If my recollection is right, he has terminated the contract with that management company now.

Bearing in mind the sales of his past couple of albums, how much of a ransom do you think he could demand?
Based on the sales of CS and IANADOAC, I am not sure it would be a wise idea to hire some lawyers in a case against Capitol Records as he would really struggle to recover these costs through future album sales. And that is a depressing thought.

Based on the sales of CS and IANADOAC, I am not sure it would be a wise idea to hire some lawyers in a case against Capitol Records as he would really struggle to recover these costs through future album sales. And that is a depressing thought.
He needs to forget about Capitol and see if he can get an album deal in the UK.

When it comes to the Internet, release an album somewhere and you've released it everywhere.

He needs to forget about Capitol and see if he can get an album deal in the UK.

When it comes to the Internet, release an album somewhere and you've released it everywhere.
Lets hope that will be the case with the next album.
We don’t need another saga like this.

It would've served Morrissey well to do this research before he signed with Capitol.

Correct. But she does mention the many that loved RWA.

Anyway, do you think experienced Capitol would bother signing an album in the first place if it was poorly recorded and unreleasable?

Use your loaf.
Are you saying Capitol signed Morrissey AFTER hearing the record? Obviously we have no idea about anything here since literally all the information has been from Morrissey's side, which reeks of unreliable narrator.

I do think RWA is a good song based on the live versions. I am not an audio snob, but the recorded version sounds amateurish. Especially disappointing in that his last album was very strong. I'm certainly curious to hear the record, but none of the live cuts were top tier Morrissey ("Dog" had 2 classics, so those days are not behind him), so much rather him move on to the Whyte album. Bonfire will leak at some point.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom