Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty spot on. I also believe that his letter to Marr was an attempt to start a conversation with him in a very haphazard way. I know people who do this.
One of the reasons Moz isn't as big as other legacy acts is that he doesn't do what others do. His setlists are perverse, you have no guarantee you'll hear any song - be it a massive hit or not, his shows are short compared to his once peers who average 2hrs 15 whilst he does 85 minutes. His tickets are expensive. Basically, if he played longer shows with more hits, and stopped saying absurd narcissistic rubbish in his interviews, he'd sell more tickets. Like it or not, when you see AC/DC, you know you're getting to get all the hits in an hour long lump at the end. Moz? No chance.

Everyday Is Like Sunday gets played about 55% of his gigs
First of The Gang about 80%
Irish Blood about 70%
Suedehead about 30%
November about 25%
Fatty about 17%
Playboys about 10%
Interesting Drug about 5%

One of the reasons Moz isn't as big as other legacy acts is that he doesn't do what others do. His setlists are perverse, you have no guarantee you'll hear any song - be it a massive hit or not, his shows are short compared to his once peers who average 2hrs 15 whilst he does 85 minutes. His tickets are expensive. Basically, if he played longer shows with more hits, and stopped saying absurd narcissistic rubbish in his interviews, he'd sell more tickets. Like it or not, when you see AC/DC, you know you're getting to get all the hits in an hour long lump at the end. Moz? No chance.

Irish Blood about 70%
Suedehead about 30%
November about 25%
Fatty about 17%
Playboys about 10%
How correct are those numbers? I would have guessed Sunday gets played much more than that. And November hasn’t been played in ages.

Irish Blood about 70%
Suedehead about 30%
November about 25%
Fatty about 17%
Playboys about 10%

Yeah. It’s like as if M goes out of his way from being a legacy act.

Well...we all know Jeff is a plonker !

God Bless Morrissey-Smith and Marr-Smith. Not just for saving me from Roxy's Disco and The Human League ...

Hazard x
Ooh Hazard, nuttin wrong with the League mate 👍
You can have both

Even Morrissey himself likes them, he at least had this in his preshow videos …

Well, looks like the f***ing-About of "Don't talk about me", has turned into the Finding-Out of "Nobody talks about me!!". What a prat.

Hmmm. In general, I don’t know why Marr’s being brought into this. Yes, Marr not mentioning his name will influence him not being mentioned by Marr. But M’s post is directed at the media, as far as we can tell.

And Marr has here and there been mentioning Morrissey’s name, though rarely now.

Yeah. It’s like as if M goes out of his way from being a legacy act.
I think he's tortured by the thought of being seen in that way (see the Perth cancellation "nostalgia" reason) - which makes the YATQ anniversary shows even stranger!

In M's head he is still making vital new music (which, to an extent, I think he is, given some of the songs we've heard from the two unreleased albums), and I don't imagine he'll ever change his way of thinking around that...

I think he's tortured by the thought of being seen in that way (see the Perth cancellation "nostalgia" reason) - which makes the YATQ anniversary shows even stranger!

In M's head he is still making vital new music (which, to an extent, I think he is, given some of the songs we've heard from the two unreleased albums), and I don't imagine he'll ever change his way of thinking around that...

Yes, I totally agree.

Seen them 6 times and am seeing them again this year at the MEN, always brilliant!
Never seen them before Surface but i think i will see them this December at Wembley, not my favourite venue but saw Pet Shop Boys there last year and they were great, it was so bloody loud me ears hurt.

Never seen them before Surface but i think i will see them this December at Wembley, not my favourite venue but saw Pet Shop Boys there last year and they were great, it was so bloody loud me ears hurt.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, the other thing that impresses me is how well Phil looks for a 68 year old!

How correct are those numbers? I would have guessed Sunday gets played much more than that. And November hasn’t been played in ages.

Irish Blood about 70%
Suedehead about 30%
November about 25%
Fatty about 17%
Playboys about 10%

2020-onwards-live-stats

1705268849387.png

https://consequence.net/2024/01/morrissey-claims-media-trying-to-delete-him-from-the-smiths/

Morrissey is quite right to stand his ground: "The singer’s confidence to publicly reflect on his impact and influence on the band infer that he is proud of his accomplishments, and that he also had an attachment to the band. One cannot blame Morrissey for defending his work, as it is not just anybody that can be a part of such an iconic band and contribute to creating enjoyable and long-lasting music." https://music.mxdwn.com/2024/01/13/...e-in-the-smiths-origin-story-is-being-erased/

The other media that picked on on this also give Morrissey due credit.

I went back for a closer look at a news article already posted in the strange/unexpected thread last week- https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...moz-references.83338/page-460#post-1987568891

Even though it's just from a student magazine, the Tacoma Ledger, maybe that is what upset Morrissey, as some of the statements are gullible and extreme, and the piece ends with an incensed imperious jumped-up command to ignore his existence from now on - And if you become a new [Smiths] fan like me, let’s collectively agree to not acknowledge Morrissey’s nasty presence.

That's what the education system is producing these days; not independent thinking but a drilling in how to swallow mainstream narratives hook, line and sinker, to be regurgitated even more putridly.

Well Heidi, instead of baaing with the 'sheeple', lacking enough common sense to resist media smears, how about withdrawing your own nasty presence until you learn something about journalistic ethics and how to come up with more balanced portrayals?

https://consequence.net/2024/01/morrissey-claims-media-trying-to-delete-him-from-the-smiths/

Morrissey is quite right to stand his ground: "The singer’s confidence to publicly reflect on his impact and influence on the band infer that he is proud of his accomplishments, and that he also had an attachment to the band. One cannot blame Morrissey for defending his work, as it is not just anybody that can be a part of such an iconic band and contribute to creating enjoyable and long-lasting music." https://music.mxdwn.com/2024/01/13/...e-in-the-smiths-origin-story-is-being-erased/

I went back for a closer look at a news article already posted in the strange/unexpected thread last week- https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...moz-references.83338/page-460#post-1987568891

Even though it's just from a student magazine, the Tacoma Ledger, maybe that is what upset Morrissey, as some of the statements are gullible and extreme, and the piece ends with an incensed imperious jumped-up command to ignore his existence from now on - And if you become a new [Smiths] fan like me, let’s collectively agree to not acknowledge Morrissey’s nasty presence.

That's what the education system is producing these days; not independent thinking but a drilling in how to swallow mainstream narratives hook, line and sinker, to be regurgitated even more putridly.

Well Heidi, instead of baaing with the 'sheeple', lacking enough common sense to resist media smears, how about withdrawing your own nasty presence until you learn something about journalistic ethics and how to come up with more balanced portrayals?

It doesn't matter though - if a person becomes more famous for their 'views' then no one is interested in the actual art & you can't sell it.

You can sell the 'views'.

Or his emotional attitude to the reaction to his 'views'.

But he's no longer a singer in the music industry.

He's someone who has 'views'.

Maybe those are sincerely held views. Why are you complaining about it? Free speech!

Irish Blood about 70%
Suedehead about 30%
November about 25%
Fatty about 17%
Playboys about 10%
I'm a realist, and I'm perfectly aware that his setlists aren't varied. You shouldn't go expecting to hear certain songs because it's based on how he feels. That said, I still go to as many gigs as I can.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I just wrote a comment echoing this sentiment. Self destructive people who struggle to apologise for their own behaviour often do this to try to form a friendship/relationship again.
I think ordering Johnny to not mention his name anymore did not turn out the way he expected, and it's not as fun as he thought it would be. Now he has to invent excuses to get his attention. I agree with you that it's a tactic to try to get someone to talk to you without having to do the adult part of it, it's childish.

Those are total lifetime plays across his live career - he's played about 1,158 gigs in the past 35 years.
So it’s sort of false to say that November, for example, gets played once every four shows.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom