"Autobiography" by Morrissey - Oct 17, 2013; press release

• Thread starter Justin Playfair
  • Start date
Re: Autobiography by Morrissey - Oct 17th

Awesome! The title "Morrissey, Autobiography" is pretty unimaginative though. Wish it had a better title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure he could get the pennies together to fund a release of an album of songs even without a bestselling book.

So what's stopping him will be the same thing: a stubborn desire to release an album "properly".

Pretty sure he could get the pennies together to fund a release of an album of songs even without a bestselling book.

So what's stopping him will be the same thing: a stubborn desire to release an album "properly".

Well Rod Stewart got to release an album this year and I think his stuff is terrible, but that's just me :D
I think things may sway in Morrissey's favour if he keeps a low profile from being controversial and gets a bit of success out of this DVD and autobiography :)

Anyone think it odd that, a week out from publication, not one excerpt or review has appeared? I used to review books every week, and I don't remember ever receiving an advance or proof copy less than two weeks prior to publication. Perhaps there's a review embargo to build suspense...

I will be in London at the time the book is released. I wish he would do a book signing. One can dream.

The reason you have seen no review is because the publishers feel that it isn't that good of a book . I hope I'm wrong but isn't that what happens to movies that go straight to the stores . Never to be seen on the big screen because they would be ripped to shreads by critics. I know I getting a copy of Moz's book !

Why, thank you kindly, Anon.
You might be all the more disappointed then when you read the footnote in his autobiography stating that "Anonymous is as dull as dishwater!" (chapter 56, "Why Morrissey-solo sucks.") :)

By the way, I really hope that by now our DavidT has contacted Erin Brockovich... Sigh.

Sweetie, it was a compliment, not sarcasm. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU? I refuse to mudsling back :). Drink some warm soy milk and I will be up to tuck you in. In case that wasn't a pleasant visual at first, I'm not unattractive.

Why, thank you kindly, Anon.
You might be all the more disappointed then when you read the footnote in his autobiography stating that "Anonymous is as dull as dishwater!" (chapter 56, "Why Morrissey-solo sucks.") :)

By the way, I really hope that by now our DavidT has contacted Erin Brockovich... Sigh.

Sweetie, was a compliment, not sarcasm, WHAT is going on with you?? I refuse to mudsling back :) you are being very naughty and deserve a talking to :)

Sweetie, was a compliment, not sarcasm, WHAT is going on with you?? I refuse to mudsling back :)

:::Then I take it you're not Lord Mudslide?

Kidding aside, being called "sweetie" twice on the same page is rather unusual for me. I kinda hope I'll get called Sea Urchin next, like some other poster ("O Sea Urchin, which tsunami brought thee back to these shores? Dost thou like oysters? What about chips? I swear I'm Elvis" ...etc). Trippy.

As for deserving a talking to, some people would thoroughly disagree with you; there are some who apparently consider I just deserve heavy books being thrown at me...
But that's ok as I can duck pretty well and pretty quack. Quick I mean. ;)

So, in the interest of semantics, did you mean "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU?" or just "WHAT is going on with you?"?

The reason you have seen no review is because the publishers feel that it isn't that good of a book . I hope I'm wrong but isn't that what happens to movies that go straight to the stores . Never to be seen on the big screen because they would be ripped to shreads by critics. I know I getting a copy of Moz's book !

Nah, I can't see that being the reason. You might be right with your general point that good books and movies are the ones sent out for review as that can generate sales. This book doesn't need a reviewer to generate sales, it will sell by the bucketload just because it is Morrissey's autobiograpghy. Even people with only a passing interest in Morrissey will be interested in reading his side of the story for the many issues that he's refrained from commenting on. The book does need promotion but it doesn't need reviews.

Nah, I can't see that being the reason. You might be right with your general point that good books and movies are the ones sent out for review as that can generate sales. This book doesn't need a reviewer to generate sales, it will sell by the bucketload just because it is Morrissey's autobiograpghy. Even people with only a passing interest in Morrissey will be interested in reading his side of the story for the many issues that he's refrained from commenting on. The book does need promotion but it doesn't need reviews.
Do you think Morrissey can still generate enough interest merely because of who he is?
My fear is that the Moz brand has been sullied beyond repair what with the lack of records, stupid comments and cancelled tours.
I guess time will tell.

There's so many crap autobiographies coming out this month. John Bishop, Amanda Holden, Jack Whitehall and Katie Price to name a few. Morrissey isn't going to like sharing a shelf at Waterstone's.

Do you think Morrissey can still generate enough interest merely because of who he is?
My fear is that the Moz brand has been sullied beyond repair what with the lack of records, stupid comments and cancelled tours.
I guess time will tell.

Well it's up to Morrissey, isn't it Peter? He's got the chance to make and release an album, but won't. He's released this book without much promotion or even as much as an interview. But I don't think the cancelled tours have destroyed his career since many musicians do this every month. If I was his agent then I would have advised Morrissey to get his bum onto his pal Jonathan Ross' show and promote his book there.

Well it's up to Morrissey, isn't it Peter? He's got the chance to make and release an album, but won't. He's released this book without much promotion or even as much as an interview. But I don't think the cancelled tours have destroyed his career since many musicians do this every month. If I was his agent then I would have advised Morrissey to get his bum onto his pal Jonathan Ross' show and promote his book there.
Wise words Davie.

I guess time will tell.

It'll sell well because of the continued fascination regarding the Smiths in particular. It should top the bestseller list for the first week, but the following week the Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography is out and should crush all opposition through 'til Christmas.

There is little doubt running his idiot mouth on a range of topics of which he knows little has severely damaged his reputation in the last few years, and that will take some coming back from. He'd have gotten away with it if he was producing even average material, but regrettably he is not.

It'll sell well because of the continued fascination regarding the Smiths in particular. It should top the bestseller list for the first week, but the following week the Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography is out and should crush all opposition through 'til Christmas.

There is little doubt running his idiot mouth on a range of topics of which he knows little has severely damaged his reputation in the last few years, and that will take some coming back from. He'd have gotten away with it if he was producing even average material, but regrettably he is not.
Damn right m'boy.

I wish he'd do a spoken word CD of his autobiog, it'd be like I, Partridge.

This is another example of how having poor representation or inadequate guidance creates some big misses in his career. It seems like a no-brainer: an audiobook/download component could have been a bonanza. Perhaps there will be something to this effect and it is merely well under wraps. I fear that's not the case. I would imagine a goodly ratio of his fanbase would punt for both the written and spoken versions.

The lead-up to the release of the book, thus far - after years of speculation and ballyhoo in various interviews - reveals a "marketing campaign" in stark contrast to, say, the YATQ campaign. The latter was an "all Morrissey, all the time" media blast; this is just a quiet, unhyped send-off. It would be very interesting to know where his head is at these days - and how much of that will be borne out in the pages of the book.

Sorry, unable to grant your request. I don't think you are a sea urchin. Your posts had taken a drastic right hook, was wondering what is going on?surround yourself with beings that lack opposable thumbs (unable to throw). Let's see, I think I shall call you.....:)

Let's see, I think I shall call you.....:)

Well, you can call me anything really, even Anonymous, seeing as that's my name and all. And yours too. Damn, that must mean we're married, or related in some way...I sense a couple of eyebrows are now wondering if I'm going to call you Captain Iglo. -Nah...not yet...It's too soon...-

Tell you what, now isn't really a good time; I'll call you, allright :) ? But meanwhile you're welcome to pm a picture of you in uniform!

Good luck hooking up with sea bass. :)

Back
Top Bottom