YouTube: "There Is A Light...” cover in 60s Outlaw Country style by Postmodern Jukebox ft. Ashley Campbell

Description:

“There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths 60s Outlaw Country style cover by Postmodern Jukebox ft. Ashley Campbell.

Get The Song: http://pmjlive.com/thereisalight | PMJ World Tour Tix: http://pmjtour.com

Subscribe: http://bit.ly/subPMJ | PMJ on Spotify: http://pmjlive.com/pmjspotify

One of the highlights of our 1,000th live show celebration in London was Ashley Campbell's beautiful and haunting performance of our newest cover: The Smiths' 1986 hit, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," with a Willie Nelson / Marty Robbins "Outlaw Country" twist. Here's the official video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Like what they have done with it but if the song had never existed and I heard this for the first time it wouldn't do anything at all for me.

These clowns should be punished for this awful butchering. And I guess she thinks she's cute or something???

Wow... that's atrocious. It's like they never heard the original song before covering it.
you do realize that covers don't need to (and, really shouldn't) be note-for-note rehashes of the origianl song, right? what is the point in that? whether you like this or not, at least it's original.

Another version, 8 years old, but I only heard the other day

Both versions are fine. The problem with most covers is that they tend to miss the aching beauty of the phrasing, which is kind of essential for the song to have impact.

You see this a lot with covers of Yesterday. Singers engage in vocal variations to put their stamp on it and completely destroy the perfect symmetry between the music and McCartney's voice. Some people sing to impress, the best ones serve the song.

Both versions are fine. The problem with most covers is that they tend to miss the aching beauty of the phrasing, which is kind of essential for the song to have impact.

this.

You see this a lot with covers of Yesterday. Singers engage in vocal variations to put their stamp on it and completely destroy the perfect symmetry between the music and McCartney's voice. Some people sing to impress, the best ones serve the song.

and … I know it’s subjective, but I’ve yet to hear many if any original voices that capture the listener as they once did all those yesterdays ago, since the early 90’s.

btw, think you mean Morrissey’s voice (?)

:sleeping:

may as well listen to the original.

i do agree that its a straightforward cover very well done and really im not a big fan of covers in general but i find this one to be more wistful and lamenting in the vocal than the original. without the arch urgency it actually feels sadder to me. like its being sung while he thinks of the past while i think of morrisseys version as him in the thick of it making it more visceral maybe. morrisseys version sounds painful while finns sounds numb and remorseful to me despite whatever their intentions. also like the strings in finns version as the music was great and i think better than a lot of the tribute bands whom i enjoy as well

i do agree that its a straightforward cover very well done and really im not a big fan of covers in general but i find this one to be more wistful and lamenting in the vocal than the original. without the arch urgency it actually feels sadder to me. like its being sung while he thinks of the past while i think of morrisseys version as him in the thick of it making it more visceral maybe. morrisseys version sounds painful while finns sounds numb and remorseful to me despite whatever their intentions. also like the strings in finns version as the music was great and i think better than a lot of the tribute bands whom i enjoy as well

Nah, its just a bad replica. Do something different, or don’t bother.

this.

and … I know it’s subjective, but I’ve yet to hear many if any original voices that capture the listener as they once did all those yesterdays ago, since the early 90’s.

btw, think you mean Morrissey’s voice (?)
In the 2nd part I was referring to the Beatles song Yesterday. Before I ever listened to the original I heard about half a dozen cover versions on the radio and couldn't figure out why, for many years, it was the most covered song in the world. It didn't seem special. Then I heard the original and realised what was missing from the copies.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom