WPINOYB Marketing and Promotion

I believe there was one interview years back, maybe even in The Smiths days, where Morrissey was asked what his greatest weakness was, or super power was, or something like that. And his answer was "unlimited self sabotage". And that is 100% spot on for this.

Hey guys, anonymous here.. I had 30 secs of free time so i decided to use it to make an alternative sleeve for the new Morrissey album.

24y0pjm.jpg

Isn't it good to be lost in the woods? So peaceful there..

Already looks better. I had a go but the photo is so meh I gave up on it.

I believe there was one interview years back, maybe even in The Smiths days, where Morrissey was asked what his greatest weakness was, or super power was, or something like that. And his answer was "unlimited self sabotage". And that is 100% spot on for this.

Exactly. This time it seems to be particularly bad.

Hey guys, anonymous here.. I had 30 secs of free time so i decided to use it to make an alternative sleeve for the new Morrissey album.

24y0pjm.jpg

3vshv.png

24y0pjm.jpg

Look! I just made up the Deluxe Edition Ecolbook version in paint in 12 seconds at work!

And it still looks better than that photoshopped piece of poo!

2ronsb8.jpg

Considering the hit his reputation took after last year's cancellations I doubt he would refrain from promotion just to see what happens. This album is pretty crucial considering it's the first in a contract after years of being without one.

I tend to think it is either one of these two scenarios you discussed: he's either embarrassed about the cancellations and is hiding out, or he's too ill. I really hope it's the former.

I too hope, every day, that it is the former. "To see what happens" was my strange way of saying, he's being lazy about it. Let me build on that. No singles with b-sides, as stated. What, aside from being lazy, could spawn this? The idea that 'let them keep their money in their pocket and spend it on the album' in all its forms, from basic 12 track CD, to some deluxe deal that comes with Lithograph, 12 lyric sheets, Standard CD, Vinyl, Deluxe digital album, t-shirt and poster. "CDs and t-shirts and promos and God knows" indeed. OK. But how does a record company push an album? Singles, TV, radio, print media, music videos, billboards, touring, etc. Here, there is only evidence of touring and a billboard. The magazines, as I understand it, were not granted interviews but chose to put Moz on the cover and/or decided to review the album. Someone, correct me if I am mistaken about the interviews. U.S. tour was to end in very late June; presumably a U.K. tour was to follow. OK. But where was the build up to the album? For example, Quarry came out in the middle of May 2004 but the first "comeback" interview was given to the publication "Index Magazine" in February 2004, 3 months before the release of Quarry. Several interviews in various publications followed. That, was just the start of a media blitz that included radio interviews, TV appearances, world tour, etc. What was happening 3 months prior to July 14? What was happening on April 14? Let me check TTY. Better, let me check here. April 19 "This sorrowful Canada" - Morrissey statement on true-to-you.net
Yes! This will make a release that is 3 months away sell like hot cakes!

:rolleyes:

^^
I think the 'lazy approach' Belligerent Ghoul suggests has some validity. It's crazy how much promoting he did with the tours just a year or two ago. But not one interview this year except the Billboard one. :crazy:

I mean, for example, Morrissey and his band (like Jesse in the 25Live liner notes) are always emphasizing the connection Moz has with his Hispanic fans. Why didn't he do an exclusive with a Univision affiliate while he was in El Paso or in Dallas?
Just an example, but it seems clear to me that even before the tour meltdown there were serious problems with how this record was gonna be marketed.

It's still not too late to turn it around. The album isn't out yet, but it's got some good reviews. All we need now is Morrissey to do some magazine/radio/TV interviews to promote it. The lack of any announcement on this front is slightly puzzling - unless he is genuinely too ill to manage even that. Or he has fallen out with Harvest already.

Lets just hope he doesn't pull a Bowie and never play live again and never do anything to promote the new album except celebrity-filled videos and some Louis Vuitton ads.

Back
Top Bottom