Where to go in Manchester?

Ali

We are staying over in Manchester on Friday night and wondered if anyone has any suggestions where to go after the gig for a few bevvies. I assume the pubs local to the GMex will be probably shut by the time we get out?

You should check events section of the forum.
There're two after-shows in Manchester on Friday, Stars and Garter and Brickhouse.

I think the Star & Garter is sold out, dont know about the Shithouse.
After that, you have indie nights at Fab Cafe on Portland Street, 5th Avenue on Princess Street and 42nd Street on.... bloody hell, cant remember what street it is on (and no, it isn't on 42nd Street!) but it's just off Deansgate.

The Goat

S&G is sold out, I did notice someone is selling tickets for the Brickhouse on eBay! 42nd St is just next to 5th Ave.

Not sure what is on, but the free MEN and the Metro have decent enough listings.

42nd Street is nowhere near 5th Avenue (see The Goat's comment for correct details).

I walk past the 5th Avenue queue quite often. I wouldn't bother going unless you are under the age of 24, and even then you may feel old!

As for pubs for a pre gig drink? People from Manchester are having to play it by ear, because it will be the office party crowd all over the place on that night. G-mex is slap bang next to quite a few office blocks, so the pubs around it will more than likely be hammered.

So if you see a place you like the look of, and you can get in? Do that!

42nd Street were only allowing students in last night, as were 5th Ave last week. Only the fact I used to go quite regularly to 42nd got me in, otherwise it was a no-go. Lots of folk turned away. They both appear to have a policy of student-only after 11.30pm, i.e. when it's busiest.

5th Ave was bobbins - packed full of girning clowns, music mainly dire.
42nd was mildly better.

You might also want to try Tiger Lounge (the old Oscars), which plays the odd Smiths track / Joy Division etc, plus lots of sixties stuff. It's just off Albert Sq, near The Vine pub.

Brel is right - 5th Ave is nowhere near 42nd st. 5th Ave is on Princess St,
42nd St is just off Bootle St.

Pubs in town last night were hammered, and will be equally blitzed next week.
We ended up in the Rising Sun, which was fairly convivial, and not too packed.

If you want a guaranteed pub that will get you served fairly quickly then you might have to shanks it to some of the "old men" type boozers - e.g. Hare and Hounds Shudehill. Peverill of Peak is close to GMEX and might be worth a try.

Wherever you go - enjoy.

Ta
JT

I've suggested The Britons Protection Hotel, might go for a few in the S & G first for a few. What do you think The Goat?

Last edited:
Nice one Johnny
The students will have buggered off back to where they came from by next weekend, getting their washing done by mumsie, so hopefully that wont be the case!
The Hare + Hounds on Shudehill, been to many a football meeting upstairs there - a bloody Joey Holts pub!!
I shall be hitting town around noon on the Friday so will be well-oiled by the time the gig starts!
Saturday shall save myself during the City game and commence afterwards.

The Goat

Don't you love the edit button ;-) I might be in there anyway, nobody will be in, prime candidate for a Moz fans takeover!

Deanoo
You may have edited your original post but you cant edit your quote in my reply! That tells the truth!
You not going City v The Bolton Hill Billies?

The Goat

Don't you love the edit button ;-) I might be in there anyway, nobody will be in, prime candidate for a Moz fans takeover!

Problem with Brits Protection is that all the seats are in the back, but it takes an age to get served through the hatch. In the 1970's they only allowed women in if they didn't go into the bar (and stood in the hallway that takes you to the back). I always make a point of asking my wife to do likewise!!

Lets face it though, the Temple of Convenience is definately off the list!

Deanoo
You may have edited your original post but you cant edit your quote in my reply! That tells the truth!
You not going City v The Bolton Hill Billies?

The Goat

No, it's my bro's turn for the season ticket. I might go to the S & G tonight even though it's Smile and i will know around 2 songs, does anyone wish to join me? :D

Last edited:
S&G's sold out now, but we went to The Brickhouse's Morrissey party last time He was in Manc and it was great (expensive, but great) so highly recommended. Otherwise, 42nd Street and 5th Ave are cheap and fun and no doubt they'll play a couple of Smiffs tracks before the night is over... :)

42nd Street is nowhere near 5th Avenue (see The Goat's comment for correct details).

I get them confused - mainly as I never go in any of them! :o

There's always the Northern Quarter I guess - Bay Horse, Bluu etc - bit pricey though.

As for pubs near the GMEX - if you can squeeze in, the Temple of Convinence is good. I like Retro Bar as well.

I rarely go out in town, so my info is lacking.

the Temple of Convenience, it's a shithouse ;)

love

Grim

I can't be arsed with the Temple, unless we stand on the stairs at the back. You can fit about 20 people in, at a push. At least you are closer to the bar there and can shout around the corner for your Bacon Fries!

I've lived in Manc for 6 years and haven't a clue. :o

Bound to be something interesting at retro bar though.

I would suggest that people look to drink around other areas of Manchester, as it's quite a compact city and easily navigated on foot. Also you can get on a tram in the city zone for just 50p and get off at Saint Peters Square (not G-mex), as it's closer and easier to get to the entrance from here (just follow the track past the Midland Hotel).

The nearest place for a drink is probably a place called "Henry's Bar" beneath the hotel (Premier Lodge I think?) on Mosely Street. I've never been in (it looks like a bog standard, rather dull bar), but it will no doubt be full of fans having a pre gig pint or two, and you see the entrance to Gmex from there, so you can't get lost. Not one for me personally, but it's a safe bet for the out-of-towner who doesn't want to stray too far.

If you don't mind paying a bit more, then try the bar in the old Free Trade Hall (Opus One. I think it's called). It's a nice bar, and if you are lucky like me, they might forget a round or two when you ask for the bill? You can have a pint and think about The Smiths playing there, or a young Morrissey going to see the Sex Pistols. It has many memories for me too. In fact I also performed there a long time ago......(a school Christmas Carol concert! but I did sing!).

Back
Top Bottom