What's the point of collecting?

M

MuteWitness616

What's the point?

Once you have all the songs and studio CDs and singles, why do you need them from different countries and all that nonsense

^^^ http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=437658&postcount=102

You must question the psychology behind collecting itself. Similarly you could ask stamp collectors why they collect stamps that they'll never use on an envelope. Collecting is a strange thing, but don't look into it more than it just being a hobby. Some people hunt birds or other animals as a hobby, but collectors like hunting records (or books) because they think records (like books) are beautiful items. And the hunt itself is fun. You don't need to listen to the records, that's not the point.

Some people collect only song versions, others alternate artwork, others UK 12"s and LPs, others original pressings, others only valuable items and some collectors want every variation out there.

I'm used to having to explain the idea of collecting to non-collectors, but I must admit I'm always surprised as a completist collector to face incomprehension from other collectors who only want song versions or collect for value. I would think that as collectors they would understand other collectors who just happen to look for more items. But no, there are a few people in these forums who I know are collectors and regularly riducule or at least express their incomprehension towards completists. It always surprises me.

Stephane

From Jan 2007. Yes, it made an impression on me. I think it's been the best post on this topic.

Dave

Last edited:
What's the point?

Once you have all the songs and studio CDs and singles, why do you need them from different countries and all that nonsense

You just don't get it. Some people do, some people do not. Of the top of my head, Mikael, Beau, Me, Motorways, Terancestamp, Dave2006, Everyday, and others I am forgetting Get it

I sold all my collection of vinyl from the punk era (1975) up till about 1994, and to this day I regret the day I sold them so much. :(

I guess it's a question of enjoyment of posession, but Stephane's post sums it up beautifully (as I am a bit of a completist and have received a bit of stick therefore). To me it's most of all fun and I view Morrissey's work as pieces of art and history and everything is part of the puzzle. The puzzle is at it's most beautiful complete. Then there is the fact that the puzzle will never be complete but that's just more fun:)

I guess it's a question of enjoyment of posession, but Stephane's post sums it up beautifully (as I am a bit of a completist and have received a bit of stick therefore). To me it's most of all fun and I view Morrissey's work as pieces of art and history and everything is part of the puzzle. The puzzle is at it's most beautiful complete. Then there is the fact that the puzzle will never be complete but that's just more fun:)

awh thats amazing ... :o

You just don't get it. Some people do, some people do not. Of the top of my head, Mikael, Beau, Me, Motorways, Terancestamp, Dave2006, Everyday, and others I am forgetting Get it

Wow, thanks Roky, it's nice to be mentioned alongside legends like Mikael, Beau and the others.

Why do I collect? Stephane and Mikael sum up my views pretty well. Plus there is a lot of pleasure in finding a rare to find item hidden amongest the dross.

Wow. What company I keep :blushing: Mine is more collection rather than completion. But, like most on here, I'm pashernate about it.

Some rarities and most copies of most things, but my brain cannot cope with remembering all those countries and all those releases, I do my best with an excel spread sheet and regular visits to pjlm, but if I started trying to be a completist I'd end up with 14 Argentinian LPs and forget about the Brazilians :lbf:

Dave

“Collecting is a characteristic that is interwoven with human nature. Every manifestation of life on this planet, in culture, art, science, and technology, intertwines with the need to collect, classify and archive. When a phenomenon is this widespread and present in mankind, it can only be born of a deep psychological need, something so heartfelt that is creates the very fabric of our being. The genetic code is an enormous collection of information on life, illness, healing and death. A collection that we are only today managing for the first time to decipher at its most basic level: genes. That’s where our nature as collectors is written. As Kim Herzinger maintains, collecting - along with religion and love - is a form of protection against insecurity and the loss of people and things we hold dear.” -Pierangelo Garzia, quoted in Cartier Collectors - A Magazine about Collecting, #19, 2008

I love psychobabble.

Speaking of collecting. The new Record Collector magazine will be out on newstands Nov 19th!. Guess who is on the cover?? Morrissey!! They will be listing the Top 50 rarites. Should be lots of fun and keep the boards buzzing for a while.

Interesting question.....

Suppose I am a "CD completist" only. I've got every single CD single & album release from Morrissey - and 2 of everything! But I've bought all the 7" vinyls as well since "the come back" in 2004 - only cos it's Mozza.

I got about a thousand CDs but only everything by Mozza.

Sometimes I wonder what is the point of collecting.......:lbf:

Tags
616=nil
Back
Top Bottom