What's the meaning of

But classically it was associated with northern Egypt, a la nesu-bity. Which I do believe (I really do) conclusively proves Crystal's Osiris theme is bollocks. Thank you all and see you next year.

Thank you but no: I prefer to believe the song is about Morrissey's tortured, unrequited love for Gilbert O'Sullivan.

He was kind of cute, actually...

article-1023104-016F6E5000000578-904_468x328.jpg

But classically it was associated with northern Egypt, a la nesu-bity. Which I do believe (I really do) conclusively proves Crystal's Osiris theme is bollocks. Thank you all and see you next year.

I can't understand why anyone would feel the need to disprove CG's theories. :confused:

Maybe next year we'll know. :straightface:

Thank you but no: I prefer to believe the song is about Morrissey's tortured, unrequited love for Gilbert O'Sullivan.

He was kind of cute, actually...

article-1023104-016F6E5000000578-904_468x328.jpg

how can morrissey love Gilbert if Gilbert is a guy! That's grosssssss ewww

I can't understand why anyone would feel the need to disprove CG's theories. :confused:

Maybe next year we'll know. :straightface:

What's happening next year? :squiffy: :p

(No but really, what's happening?)

Sorry to piss on your chopsticks, but doesn't the papyrus grow in northern Egypt, i.e. the Nile Delta?

You're right. Sorry, I meant to type lower Egypt, not Southern Egypt. Lower Egypt is in the North.

For the past few days I have had this song stuck in my head and was finding what exactly this song means.I found this thread but seeing the discussion I understand somewhat things and other things were messed up as some some are saying this and some are saying that.Can anyone exactly tell me what southpaw song is about.

That "very very homosexual Irish singer" is married and has two children. But he does sing, "I was cheerful, bright and gay" in Alone Again, Naturally so close enough.

Actually, could Southpaw be about Gilbert O'Sullivan? That bit, "you turned around/you were alone, again..." could be the clue.

Maybe
But don't forget, "gay" means "joyful" too.

Last edited:
My sarcasm doesn't translate :)

the song "Southpaw"? I mean the real meaning beyond the words...for example: who's the girl of your dreams? Is HERE all alone? Who is he talking to? Is he referring to himself as a girl? Who ran back to Ma?

The way I've always thought of it, he's addressing a man who never dared to stand alone, face the world and get to know himself - the result of which is that he is "so easily defeated", and that he misses out on the girl of his dreams. I don't see that there is anything in the lyric to particularly indicate that what he's unable to face is being gay - it's neither more or less possible than countless other options.

The last lines:

And now there is something that you should know
The girl of your dreams is here all alone (sad and alone)

is a bit of a poser, and arguably the key part of the lyric. It can of course be read in the sense that Morrissey is referring to himself in a transgender way - he is after all saying that the girl is here, which is otherwise odd. On the other hand, that amounts to an indirect invitation, and why would he (or rather, the "I" of the lyric) address that to someone who he has just described in such scathingly disapproving terms? And "here" could of course just as well refer to the place in which the person described in the lyric finds himself - if so, he is facing a moment of truth, with the poignancy residing in the cost of a lifetime of failing to prepare himself for that moment. My own instinctive reading was always that he simply missed out on meeting the girl of his dreams due to his sustained pattern of cowardice in life. Ie, hide from yourself and the good things in life evade you, the easiest path being in the long run the most disastrous, if consistently chosen.

cheers

My own instinctive reading was always that he simply missed out on meeting the girl of his dreams due to his sustained pattern of cowardice in life. Ie, hide from yourself and the good things in life evade you, the easiest path being in the long run the most disastrous, if consistently chosen.

:) in the long run, all that's found is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OsTUnkqSi4

a bunch of young ephebes jogging like girlies on the beach without a grown-up's worry in the world...

Alternatively, you can exercise like this (again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXQ4OLXhgc

My favourite :thumb:... but not Boy George's, sadly. :(

(After a while, you're too fat and old to hide anyway, so you just go and see younger bands. Kinda, freewheeling. But that song still exists, if you know what I mean...Whether Boy George likes it or not :D)

It grows all over the place, including my back garden. :)

Pics plz. kthx.

Qvist, I like your interpretation. Though I always thought of his getting out and touring as searching for the one which takes a lot of courage and work, but still. I like your take.

This is assuming the song is directly autobiographical, which alot of his songs aren't, but this one seems like one.

Last edited:
This is assuming the song is directly autobiographical, which alot of his songs aren't, but this one seems like one.

Well, I think that song was written as a cautionary tale for Justin Bieber. Actually.

Fail, since Justin has already made Cody and Flipper cry.:squiffy:

Back
Top Bottom