what "things " from morrissey/ smiths songs have YOU done

Sat in a car and never never wanted to go home
Looked for a job, found one and been miserable
Haven’t had a stitch to wear (but gone out anyway)
Known it’s over, and still clung
Went inside and gravely read the stones, and thought “all those people, all those lives, where are thy now?”
Wanted to go home from school, obviously
Had a really bad dream
In my heart begged “take me with you, I don’t care where you’re going”
Had a thorn in my side (am a girl though)
Held a position that paid my ways but corroded my soul
Been a girl afraid and wondered where his intentions lay
Wondered why all the love that I long for eludes me
Had shyness stop me from doing at least some things in life I wanted to
Asked if there’s any point in ever having children

Morrissey solo songs A-G:
I've been told to free myself and to be myself (All the Lazy Dykes)
The life I have made seems wrong to many people (Alma Matters)
I've really wanted people to just say if they did something (Alsatian Cousin)
I've asked question I knew the answer to (Alsatian Cousin)
I love America (America Is Not the World)
I cry on salient days and things stay and say they've never been away (Ammunition)
There are things and people I love more than life (Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together)
There are people I'm always there for (Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together)
I often pass through places on my way to somewhere civilized (Asian Rut)
I've done stuff such as turn the music down and wondered why considering it wasn't my house (Best Friend on the Payroll) [But I don't know exactly what the line means. Is he wondering why it is supposed to be house considering the work he is doing such as turning down the music or is he saying it is his house so why is he turning down the music, like it shouldn't have been on in the first place?]
I would, not happily though, lose both my legs if it meant everything about me could be free, so I'm not being as hyperbolic as Morrissey is (Billy Budd)
The strange logic of people's clumsiest lines stays emblazoned on my mind (Break Up the Family)
I do believe lots of things about certain people I know are terrible (Certain People I Know)
I've organized my feelings for people who didn't like me then and do not like me now (Dial-a-Cliché)
I've changed and remained in pain (Dial-a-Cliché)
I've spent my whole life in ruins because of people who were 'nice' (Disappointed)
I've felt down and stayed down (The Edges Are No Longer Parallel)
The things people said that seemed meaningful became so suddenly meaningless (The Edges Are No Longer Parallel)
Sometimes my only mistake has been I'm hoping (The Edges Are No Longer Parallel)
I've trudged slowly over wet sand (Everyday is Like Sunday)
A strange dust has landed on my face, but not nuclear debris (Everyday is Like Sunday)
Teachers have shared a point of view that I am a loser (Friday Mourning)
I've gone empty hand from the land (Glamorous Glue)

More later :o...

I've done stuff such as turn the music down and wondered why considering it wasn't my house (Best Friend on the Payroll) [But I don't know exactly what the line means. Is he wondering why it is supposed to be house considering the work he is doing such as turning down the music or is he saying it is his house so why is he turning down the music, like it shouldn't have been on in the first place?]
I think he's simply saying that he finds himself turning the music down because he's concerned it could annoy the other person, and then he starts thinking "hey, why the f*** am I doing this? It's my house, I should do whatever I want in it, I should turn the volume up as much as I want and not care a bit!" ... Which, I would say, basically means that he can't stand living with anyone... :rolleyes:

And oddly enough, that's one of the many things from Morrissey's songs that I've lately found myself doing. Only in my case, the person I'm living with is not best friend nor on the payroll, just a lodger, although we have been becoming friends since she moved in a few months ago. I have a spare room and I really need the rent to pay my bills. But it was very important that she be an OK person and someone I can trust and who won't get on my nerves (and vice versa). Well, I listen to lots and lots of music every day, and sometimes I do turn the volume down when she's there because I don't know if she'd enjoy to hear my music so loud - I realize that she probably wouldn't tell me if she dislikes it, so I try to be considerate. (Well, to be honest, it's not just because I'm nice, but I think I also have a certain feeling of 'this is my privacy, the music I listen to is my private thing.') But unlike Morrissey, I don't mind it. So far this lodger/roomate thing is really working out very well.

I could now start naming all the things from Moz's songs I've done, but it would take forever... What things have I done? A better question would be, what haven't I done! :eek:

Well, I have never killed a horse
I've never killed my dog (or killed any dog - or owned a dog)
Never shot myself
Never robbed the blind
Never tripped a dwarf
Never drank till I fell on the floor
Never killed to make myself attractive to someone
Never booked myself in YWCA
Never was somebody's wife who gives and gives
Never was pregnant, for the first nor the last time
And, believe it or not, I've never cycled by or had a punctured bicycle...because I've never had a bicycle and I never learned to ride it! Incredible, I know - it just happened that way. :o

Last edited:
I think he's simply saying that he finds himself turning the music down because he's concerned it could annoy the other person, and then he starts thinking "hey, why the f*** am I doing this? It's my house, I should do whatever I want in it, I should turn the volume up as much as I want and not care a bit!" ... Which, I would say, basically means that he can't stand living with anyone... :rolleyes:

And oddly enough, that's one of the many things from Morrissey's songs that I've lately found myself doing. Only in my case, the person I'm living with is not best friend nor on the payroll, just a lodger, although we have been becoming friends since she moved in a few months ago. I have a spare room and I really need the rent to pay my bills. But it was very important that she be an OK person and someone I can trust and who won't get on my nerves (and vice versa). Well, I listen to lots and lots of music every day, and sometimes I do turn the volume down when she's there because I don't know if she'd enjoy to hear my music so loud - I realize that she probably wouldn't tell me if she dislikes it, so I try to be considerate. (Well, to be honest, it's not just because I'm nice, but I think I also have a certain feeling of 'this is my privacy, the music I listen to is my private thing.') But unlike Morrissey, I don't mind it. So far this lodger/roomate thing is really working out very well.

I could now start naming all the things from Moz's songs I've done, but it would take forever... What things have I done? A better question would be, what haven't I done! :eek:

Well, I have never killed a horse
I've never killed my dog (or killed any dog - or owned a dog)
Never shot myself
Never robbed the blind
Never tripped a dwarf
Never drank till I fell on the floor
And, believe it or not, I've never cycled by or had a punctured bicycle...because I've never had a bicycle and I never learned to ride it! Incredible, I know - it just happened that way. :o

Ah, yes, it makes much more sense that way, I can't believe I never guessed that. And I don't know how to ride a bike either. :o

Lifted some lead off the roof of the Holy Name church (well the porch anyway) and dropped it, narrowly missing my mate's head. Well I was only 15 & clumsy!

At 13 years old. Dyed my hair gold.

Definitely not the best move at that age. Everyone called me 'Goldie Boy' until it finally grew out.

True story.

• bet the next song would sound like this one
  • been down for the very last time (I hope)
  • thought someone might feel the same, that's all
  • been made to feel like I was whining when I was claiming what was legally mine
  • got tired of counting all these so-called blessings, and then I just got tired
  • would give someone my heart (that's if I had one)

more later

Back
Top Bottom