What should be the fourth single?

What should be the fourth single from ROTT?

• Total voters

Kuiper

Better than Marr
This is a pretty simple question. In the Future When All's Well is going to be the third single, and since ROTT is a #1 album and YATQ got 4 singles, it is a natural assumption there will be a fourth single.

Personally I think On the Streets I Ran is the only potential single. I could see ...Boy Happy being played on the radio or I Will See You... being pushed for by Moz to the record company, but On the Streets I Ran makes the most sense to me.

Considering the previous choice, On The Streets I Ran is most likely to be next and commercially I think it would be the best option. However, he might surprise us with Life Is A Pigsty :D

Last edited:
I voted for Pigsty, but there should be a caveat included that it'd have to be edited (there's a rule how long a single can be). I think the song is a masterpiece as it is, and the buildup is part of its mastery, but I'd still be interested in hearing a whittled down version as long as Morrissey and Visconti themselves were involved with the editing.

Otherwise, On the Streets has the kind of forward propulsion and chiming chorus that make a good single. I'm glad that a lot of fans seem to have come around to liking that track after listening to it enough times. I love it now, but the first few times I heard it, it kind of passed me by without leaving a big impression.

From the "attracting the new fans and selling the album" perspective, I would say "I will see you in far-off places" should be made into a single.
This was the first song I got into, when I bought ROTT (even though I quickly moved on to the other songs). Even if it's not the best song (I like it anyway) on the album, it is much more accessible than the rest: you don't have to listen to it 20 times to get into it.
You have killed me worked very well as a single, because it was catchy and accessible. Even though it is very different form the rest of the album, it definitely served as a bait, luring a lot of new people into buying ROTT. (and then Morrissey's and the Smiths back catalog :D )
As much as I love Pigsty, I don't think it can make a good single, because of it's complexity.

I think that "Dear God, Please Help Me", backed with a great video, would cause more of a stir and would be more of a talking / selling point; it's absolutely gorgeous.

I fear that any other choice would simply fade away...."I Just Want to See the Boy Happy", for example, is fairly nondescript, in my opinion... though Moz obviously enjoys this one.

Dear God would be the second choice for me, as this was the second song I got into on the album (single apart) and it really stands out. Don't know if it would make it to the radio though.
I was actually quite surprised by the choice of the 2nd and 3rd singles as Dear God and Far- off places were the two songs that clearly stood out for me.
But then again, after reading comments on BBC.com, maybe I'm wrong and it's just me.

LIFE IS A PIGSTY

Or, if not, I Will See You In Far-Off Places

hopefully it will be the father who must be killed

Work of Art baby!!!

zom

ps - does anyone else notice the voice crack in it? why would it be left in?

Although I voted for Pigsty, with On the Streets as a second choice, I also think To Me You Are would be a great choice.

The song reminds me of a Viva/Bona-era track, and could be promoted as such.

boy happy of course!

when performed on tv it comes across really well and therefore i think it can be a hit. the only credentials needed of course?

although pigsty live is incredible and ...hero...ugh, just wonderful.

just think moz deserves a no1 so lets put out something the kids will buy! :p hehe

King Leer said:
Although I voted for Pigsty, with On the Streets as a second choice, I also think To Me You Are would be a great choice.

The song reminds me of a Viva/Bona-era track, and could be promoted as such.

Yes work of art is amazing but it reminds me more of Vauxhall and so does never be anybody's hero now, very now my heart is full/hold onto your friends don't you think?

I voted for ''I just want to see the boy happy'' as it's so catchy and will sell well. After that he should release the live version of Trouble Loves Me. It's just so heartrending and beautiful. He bought the song to a whole new level singing it live and it really should be introduced to the masses.

(I do apologise for using the phrase 'whole new level')

"I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now"

that song is so good...

and it would make a great single

Back
Top Bottom