What did people think of him in the 80s?

A

Anonymous

I'll probably get slammed for this, but I have a question for long time fans. I was born in the 80s so I wasn't around, but what did everyone think about Morrissey in the 80s? He as so different from any other singer that had been popular, so I'm just curious what the general opinion of him was then.

I'll probably get slammed for this, but I have a question for long time fans. I was born in the 80s so I wasn't around, but what did everyone think about Morrissey in the 80s? He as so different from any other singer that had been popular, so I'm just curious what the general opinion of him was then.

I can't answer for the 80s but in the early 90s he was known as an "enigma" in the US.

I can't answer for the 80s but in the early 90s he was known as an "enigma" in the US.

He seemed to have an already rabid fanbase when he did Carson, but the older adults on the show seemed to think he was weird.

The fan base was even more rabid back then than it is now. Principally because what we were hearing from Morrissey either lyrically or within interviews was brand new from his lips. Fame was clearly new to him and the start of a fantastic journey which you felt you were going on as well (as ridiculous as it may seem.) And you just shuddered with the possibility of what may come next in regards to the songs that he would make.

What we hear now is to some extent a redux of those times. It is inevitable nobody can be that original forever it's simply unsustainable.

And physically he just seemed like some serene exotic fruit.

As to the general opinion? Pretty much same as now he was either loved or loathed, there has never been any in-between.

In the 80s MTV did play, fairly routinely, The Smiths "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" but the band was buried, sadly, by then. Stateside these were the two songs most were introduced to Morrissey by ... a figure of curiosity here Stateside at most.

Last edited:
In the UK at least, Morrissey during the 80's was seen generally as a rather fragile, slightly effeminate creature - a celibate lover of Oscar Wilde and poetry, who wore glasses, beads and women's blouses. All images which he would work hard to destroy over the next decade(s), when he physically filled out and started presenting himself as a boxing-loving, beer drinking front man for various rockabilly and chug-rock bands, who would be more at home in a pub than a library.

He was also, at least during the Smiths days, seen as the voice of the young, poor, working class student types: something which has been increasingly lost as he turned into some kind of distant multi-millionaire Elvis type figure living in LA.

Despite his outrageous statements at the time, I think he was generally considered a bit more of a charming eccentric in the 80's, than the grouchy old man of today. He used to sound like a radical left-wing figure - these days he sounds like a right-wing conservative (big or little C, take your pick).

Look at an early 80's video of Morrissey, and look at him today - and there is almost no similarity - he's changed himself to such an extent, it's like two completely different people. Which is fine, no one can stay the same forever. But the Morrissey of the Smiths days is long, long, gone, and his transformation in the eyes of the British public from 'student bedsit outsider' to 'cranky national treasure' is an interesting one.

I think in the US they were busy being into Aerosmith and the likes rather than spending anytime thinking about Morrissey. In the UK most people called him a twat apart from those who liked him. Nothing's really changed.

I was pretty young then, but in the UK he was reasonably well-known and recognised as an important figure, but by a lot of people he was seen as the most important figure in a type of music only students listened to. Maybe his appeal was bit broader in Manchester.

I think his reputation among the general public started to ramp up after The Smiths were on the South Bank Show in October 1987. That was the big arts show in the UK, watched by millions of people (because nearly everyone only had four channels then) and normally dedicated to documentaries about George Gershwin or Marc Chagall. They almost never did current pop stars, although I can see from Googling that there was an episode on Elvis Costello in 1981 and a segment on Billy Bragg in 1985. So, it was a very prestigious thing to happen and I think it's a big part of the reason why Morrissey had a string of top ten hits in 1988/89.

Since then, his reputation (although not always the reception of his records) has steadily grown, which I think mainly correlates to his fans growing up and getting influential jobs in the media.

Back
Top Bottom