Virgin Radio UK: Rev Richard Coles picks his top 80s tracks; includes "Cemetry Gates" (July 21, 2023)

An article based on a Virgin Radio interview with Rev. Richard Coles, about his favourite 80s tracks, includes this:

Cemetery Gates, The Smiths

The 1986 song - written by Morrissey and Johnny Marr - is lifted from The Queen Is Dead, the band’s third album. “That magical combination of Morrissey and Marr as songwriters, but also Mike [Joyce] and Andy [Rourke] too, I was very, very sad that Andy died recently. Lovely, lovely guy,” Richard said.

“The 80s for me was about synth-pop really. And then all of a sudden, this guitar band came along, but they were doing all these exciting things with Morrissey’s extraordinary brilliance with language. Johnny's superb playing, Andy’s superb playing too.”

He added: “I just love this one. There's just something so kind of English about Morrissey, this kind of having a jolly old day wandering around the cemeteries thinking about life, thinking about death, in Manchester, there's something just so powerful.”

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
If they’d have been a little more prolific, I’m sure The Communards would be held in similar regard to The Smiths and New Order today. A fantastic couple of albums nevertheless.

Richard Coles is a gentleman and I love watching his TV show where he walks around graveyards and old abandoned churches. He was great in The Communards too.

If they’d have been a little more prolific, I’m sure The Communards would be held in similar regard to The Smiths and New Order today. A fantastic couple of albums nevertheless.
'Tomorrow', great tune, unfortunately they are remembered for their cover versions.
'You may break the skin,
But you can't kill the soul,
I've had all i can take...'

Richard Coles is a really nice person. Great to see him on the TV and hear him on the radio. The Communards album Red is a top album too.

Great song, nice to see someone saying they like a Smiths song and making a pro Morrissey comment too rather than following it with an anti Morrissey remark (even if I do agree that he's been a bit of a dick in recent years it's lame how people seem to make a point of bashing him)

Exactly ! This man must have his brain split in two. Yesterday he was saying I couldn't listen to This Charming Man & the Smiths ever again because of M and now he is saying he listens to the band again. oh poor man he had an accident... Call an ambulance for this desperate soul.

Exactly ! This man must have his brain split in two. Yesterday he was saying I couldn't listen to This Charming Man & the Smiths ever again because of M and now he is saying he listens to the band again. oh poor man he had an accident... Call an ambulance for this desperate soul.

Not happy with the good press? There’s no pleasing some people!

My demand for intellectual and emotional rocks is what brings me to Solo.

Great choice from Richard and good to see he didn't resort to the standard 'Of course I don't agree with Morrissey's views blah blah blah'. He may receive an hysterical email from Dave Haslam for this though.

Brilliant tune. What's with the correct spelling though, what kind of fan calls it Cemetery Gates? 😂

Great choice from Richard and good to see he didn't resort to the standard 'Of course I don't agree with Morrissey's views blah blah blah'. He may receive an hysterical email from Dave Haslam for this though.
Well he did resort to it just a few months ago in this article.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...f-hell-the-rev-richard-coless-honest-playlist
For the 'song I can no longer listen to'
He said 'This Charming Man. Much as I like the song, Morrissey has ceased to be charming for me.'

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom