Troy Tate Upgrade!

DavidA

This is big news in my world. Soundsville Paul, hitherto off-radar, has surfaced and seeded a cassette of the Troy Tate sessions taken straight from the master.

It's a big upgrade on anything I've heard before.

Link.

I know some people have a hard time with FLACs, so I'll post high quality MP3s in due course.

I'm sure most people here know the background of this, but just in case...

The Smiths recorded demos at Decibel Studios and Drone Studios in 1982, then signed to Rough Trade then recorded a couple of singles in Strawberry Studios. For the first album, Rough Trade hired Troy Tate to produce and recorded the album in Elephant Studios. Despite completing the album the band weren't happy with the sound and re-recorded the whole album again in London with John Porter producing.

A few official tracks of that first Troy Tate album have been released, but most of it hasn't. On bootlegs, various mixes of these sessions have been released. It's never been clear what was due to be officially released. Stephane explains it much better than I could on PassionsJustLikeMine.

Soundsville Paul found an old cassette that he took from the masters a long time ago. It's a big improvement in sound quality and includes a couple of different versions.

FLAC version here.
MP3 version here. I've made them iTunes friendly.

Really top work, and really quite different, you can still see why they ditched it, but
it's very interesting. Thanks very much to you and Paul.

Downloading now - thanks a lot for this - to all involved.

Dave

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
A great improvement in sound quality on all other versions circulated to date, and of course this newly unearthed take of Accept Yourself (#1) is a little gem in itself.
Wonderful!

Thanks for this, much more listenable than the ones I have.

So to summarise, what we appear to have here is...

1) The complete Troy Tate recording described in Passions as 'Set 2' (with the exception of Jeane, which is officially available on the b-side of TCM)
2) Demos of Jeane and What Difference Does It Make recorded with Troy Tate (described in Passions as 'Set 3')
3) These Things Take Time from Troy Tate 'Set 1'
4) A previously unheard version of Accept Yourself (perhaps belonging in 'Set 1')

With the exception of Accept Yourself, all tracks have been available for some time.
What makes this great is that the sound quality is a significant improvement on previous versions, particularly on the 2 demos and on These Things Take Time.
And of course the 'new' version of Accept Yourself!

Thank you David and huge thanks to Paul!

Cheers,

I.R.

If anyone fixes the speed issues can they re-post here?

What difference does it make sounds a little like Moz has had a little helium! lol

This is amazing though. truly amazing.

There's an excellent, cleaned up version of the recently unearthed "Accept Yourself" from this batch over at the Analog Loyalist/Smiths Recycle blog. The pitch is fixed on the song and it is basically as close to official sounding as you will get. Like the rest of his work, the guy that runs this blog has done an amazing job making this listenable. Hopefully he does the rest of the new old Tate songs.

http://smithsrecycle.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom