The Vini Reilly 'I wrote Viva Hate' thing

D

Dazza1982

Evening - hope we're good.

I was going to do a 'Morrissey solo collaborators' poll with a view to who your favourite/best was and might do that soon enough.

There is however a bit of an elephant in the room on this, seeing as his precise role within the Morrissey setup has been debated and remains unclarified.

What do we know for a fact? Vini Reilly (probably best known for in Durutti Column) was invited into the fold in the very early stages of Morrissey's solo career and is credited mainly for guitar parts on Viva Hate. My understanding is he was paid however much (a private matter) essentially on a 'session musician' basis.

However there are two sides to this story and it's worth a look:-

From what I've seen since Vini Reilly essentially claims to have taken Stephen Street's basic songs, greatly enhanced some and scrapped others - and to all intents and purposes states that he was a co-writer of Viva Hate. There is evidence to point in this general direction, namely the fairly ordinary sounding (from a musical point of view) tracks from that period that either became B-sides or were canned altogether, only to resurface up in the YouTube era.

Stephen Street (last time I checked) stands by his view that he was the co-writer of Viva Hate and the songs thereof - i.e. that Reilly was brought in to do a performative job in the studio and not a creative one.

At the risk of copping out I'm going to suggest that the truth might be somewhere in between.

In the most basic sense the likes of Suedehead, Hairdresser on Fire etc WERE Street's songs - the basic chord progressions etc.

What's telling to me is...as far as I'm aware Stephen Street isn't a musician of particular repute (I get the impression that it was more to do with Morrissey 'trusting' Street), whereas Vini Reilly was probably quite high up the list of 'closest you could get to Marr without being Marr' and a good fit for Morrissey both musically and in terms of personality.

There's no doubt for me that Vini added 'splashes' and 'colours' to those songs that greatly enhanced them - i.e. they would be significantly weaker without what he added. Does that make him a co-writer on the record? I'd say it does.

I actually work with a guitarist (I don't play guitar, only keys) and after the first session we did I offered a co-write on the stuff he'd improved greatly. He politely declined, but it did seem to be the right thing to offer.

Would be interested in what people know/understand about this situation and it's interesting that Morrissey never worked with either again. I'm pretty sure his next stop was a brief re-union with Smiths members followed by the Langer/Winstanley phase.

Is that right? He was quite emphatic that he had at various points...
See:
He regrets his inaccurate and untrue comments he made towards Stephen Street, and is keen to set the record straight that comments he made were due to ill health: ‘I was suffering from displaced anger. This is where you’re very angry with yourself and you don’t understand, you just shout at people you really care about’.

Full Vini 15 minutes:

And OP Street article:

Vini has had times in his life when he really struggled financially and emotionally - sleeping on friend's couches and so on.... and according to Tony Wilson, he was paid poorly for Viva Hate which then became a huge success. I think he was desperate and he said things that weren't true in an effort to improve his situation. He has apologised and made amends with Street since then.

I think the "falling out" between Street and Reilly must have occurred sometime in the late '90s-early 2000's. Vini's public squabble never quite made sense to me because Street went on to produce two Durutti Column albums after Viva Hate -- "Vini Reilly" (1989) and "Sex and Death" (1994).

It was a few years ago when Reilly retracted his songwriting claims to Viva Hate.

There's no doubt for me that Vini added 'splashes' and 'colours' to those songs that greatly enhanced them - i.e. they would be significantly weaker without what he added. Does that make him a co-writer on the record? I'd say it does.
But enhancing songs and adding 'splashes of colour' is what session musicians are hired to do - that's their job. I agree it is a slippery slope as to when a musician's contributions become so essential to the song that they deserve a writing credit (see also The Smiths, where the majority of the basslines appear to have been thought up by Andy), but adding great guitar pars doesn't mean a musician suddenly becomes a co-composer of the song. The song may have been improved by their contributions, but it still exists without them - they are just adding ornamentations and embellishments on top of it.

The music is Viva Hate is down to Stephen Street. He has the demos to prove it and as stated Vini has apologised for his remarks.

Having said that Vini's musical contribution was immense.

If you're a fan of Vini's splashes, check out the unreleased alternate version of "Bengali in Platforms" below. It's so much better than the released version on VH.

[youtube]L3kCBaTWdfs[/youtube]

Is that right? He was quite emphatic that he had at various points...
When people are deluded they're usually quite emphatic. With that said, Vini Reilly's contribution to Viva Hate was profound and it would not have been the album we all know and love without him.

If you're a fan of Vini's splashes, check out the unreleased alternate version of "Bengali in Platforms" below. It's so much better than the released version on VH.

[youtube]L3kCBaTWdfs[/youtube]

Has it been confirmed that it’s Vini on this alternate version? It’s different, which is nice, but wouldn’t say better.

Now, The Smiths version would be something to hear.

Has it been confirmed that it’s Vini on this alternate version? It’s different, which is nice, but wouldn’t say better.

Now, The Smiths version would be something to hear.

Both versions feature Vini Reilly on guitar but I agree that this one is not better. The guitar flourishes on the OG version are far superior.

Back
Top Bottom