The official Democratic National Convention thread

Today's Gallup:

Obama 47%
McCain 45%

Things are getting back to normal!!

wo0i6gjglukrrl2a8zdiza.gif

and. from today:

Taking into account these polls, CNN estimates if the presidential election were held today, Obama would win 233 electoral votes and John McCain 189. There are 116 electoral votes up for grabs; 270 electoral votes are needed to win the White House.

I'm the 1st person in neighborhood to have a Obama/Biden yard sign. The office here doesn't have many yet but since I'm a volunteer they gave me one. Already had someone stop their car and ask where I got it from.

ok folks, ready for the latest news? McCain doesnt know where Spain is:

here's a summary. the actual original article is in a spanish newspaper...

We wanted to give you an update on the post below where we described Sen. McCain's latest gaffe in which he seemed to suggest that he might not be willing to meet with Spanish Prime Minster Zapatero because he is among those world leaders who want to harm America.

The story is already getting picked up pretty quickly in the Spanish press. And the way it's being interpreted in the Spanish press is that McCain got confused about the fact that Spain is a country in Europe, rather than a rogue state in Latin America.

Our review of the audio suggests the same conclusion. In the interview, McCain is asked about Hugo Chavez, the situation in Bolivia and then about Raul Castro. He responds to each of these with expected answers about standing up to America's enemies, etc. Then the interviewer switches gears and asks about Zapatero, the Spanish Prime Minister. And McCain replies -- very loose translation -- that he'll establish close relations with our friends and stand up to those who want to do us harm. The interviewer has a double take and seems to think McCain might be confused. So she asks it again. But McCain sticks to the same evasive answer.

This is obviously a story that's difficult to get a handle on because of multiple layers of translation and retranslation. So I would ask that those of you who are speak Spanish fluently to review this article in El Pais and the audio in the post below, and let us know any other information you find.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/217702.php

and now here is the transcript of the interview:

Radio Caracol Miami: Senator, finally, let's talk about Spain. If you are elected President, would you be willing to invite President José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero to the White House to meet with you?

McCain: I would be willing to meet with those leaders who are friends and want to work with us in a cooperative fashion. And by the way, President Calderón of Mexico is fighting a very tough fight against the drug cartels. I'm glad we are now working in cooperation with the Mexican government on the Merida plan, and I intend to move forward in relations and invite as many of them as I can of those leaders to the White House.

Would that invitation be extended to the Zapatero government, to the president, itself?

Obviously I'd have to look at the relations and the situations and the priorities, but I can assure you I will establish closer relations with our friends, and I will stand up to those who want to do harm to the United States of America. I know how to do both.

So you have to wait and see if he is willing to meet with you - will you be able to do it in the White House?

Well, again, I don't - all I can tell you is I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends to us, and standing up to those who are not, and that's judged on the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region.

OK, what about Europe - I'm talking about the president of Spain?

(pause)
What about the what?

Are you willing to meet with him if you're elected president?

I am willing to meet with any leader who is dedicated to the same principles and philosophy that we are for human rights, democracy and freedom, and I will stand up to those that do not.

WHAT ABOUT THE WHAT?! aw Jesus, we're so f***ed if he wins :doh:

Last edited:
^^What a f***ing dumb ass.

I have officially lost respect for anyone who still supports this guy.

^^What a f***ing dumb ass.

I have officially lost respect for anyone who still supports this guy.

I have the Rachel Maddow show on in the background. I can get the exact quote later, but she was talking about this story and apparently the McCain campaign issued a statement saying that he DID know where Spain was and who the president was but he wasnt going to make promises to speak with foreign leaders right now. or something like that. sounded like they were trying to say "you know, not like OBAMA stupidly promised to, har har har"...which was strange cuz its SPAIN ,its not like its the Iran guy! ( i know his name, not about to try to spell it, too lazy to google). Spain is our friend. :confused:

seriously. McCain is either THAT stupid, or seriously just a confused old man. I don't know which one is worse.

I was out canvassing today and this guy was 27 and said he's voting for McCain. We walked away thinking what the hell is McCain going to do for you. Not a damn thing you dumbass. We did meet quite a few Obama people which was good.

I was out canvassing today and this guy was 27 and said he's voting for McCain. We walked away thinking what the hell is McCain going to do for you. Not a damn thing you dumbass. We did meet quite a few Obama people which was good.

when you do that and they say right off the bat that theyre voting for McCain, do you just leave it at that and be on your way or do you try to talk to them?

No we just walk away and are well thanks anyway. No point in trying to change thier minds. Won't happen.

We goto the houses of undecided voters, not sure how they get these lists. About a 1/3 of the people we talk to are supporting Obama. 1/3 still undecied though leaning towards Obama. If one member of the family is pro-Obama then we figure there's a good chance they'll bring the rest on board and the last are McCain idiots.

No we just walk away and are well thanks anyway. No point in trying to change thier minds. Won't happen.

We goto the houses of undecided voters, not sure how they get these lists. About a 1/3 of the people we talk to are supporting Obama. 1/3 still undecied though leaning towards Obama. If one member of the family is pro-Obama then we figure there's a good chance they'll bring the rest on board and the last are McCain idiots.

ha oh ok. gotcha

Of course most people aren't home so we just leave flyers. They will either get a 2nd visit or a phone call.

We got this one old lady so said she loves Obama and is telling everyone at the senior center they need to vote for him. She was so sweet.

Of course most people aren't home so we just leave flyers. They will either get a 2nd visit or a phone call.

We got this one old lady so said she loves Obama and is telling everyone at the senior center they need to vote for him. She was so sweet.

aw, so cuuuute :)

Or you could be the like the guy who was dressed as a fat Heath Ledger joker and screaming Obama on the top of his lung around 4:30 in Union Square yesterday. If anyone else saw the guy believe me he was hard to miss. It made no sense as he seemed a bit high and was running towards the crowds pretending to kick people in the faces (football punt style but missing) that were sitting on the South Steps. Police were taking a rightful interest in the guy.

I love NYC

Or you could be the like the guy who was dressed as a fat Heath Ledger joker and screaming Obama on the top of his lung around 4:30 in Union Square yesterday. If anyone else saw the guy believe me he was hard to miss. It made no sense as he seemed a bit high and was running towards the crowds pretending to kick people in the faces (football punt style but missing) that were sitting on the South Steps. Police were taking a rightful interest in the guy.

I love NYC

i hope the officers realize how lucky they are to be patrolling such an entertaining spot like Union Square.

They withdrew their troops from Iraq, maybe McCain still bears a grudge.

I know. his campaign issued a statement saying that McCain DID know who the leader of Spain was and knew that Spain was in Europe, not Latin America, but might not want to meet with him b/c of that very thing. so...they decided to imply that he was a jerk rather than just plain dumb or confused. well I think he's all three.

Yippeeee!!!

080919DailyUpdateGraph1_jkdelad.gif

Though it will be interesting to see tomorrow's result and the day after. McCain looked stronger on Economy yesterday. But Obama said his plan will be known soon.

I think Obama should pull a Perot and bring out a chart. I'm sick of McCain misleading the people into saying Obama wants to raise taxes when Obama is only raising taxes for the rich. Not the middle class. Bring out the chart Obama!!! I don't know what McCain thiks he's doing. come debate time he won't be able to hid this. he can't mislead so easily with Obama right there next to him.

Yippeeee!!!

080919DailyUpdateGraph1_jkdelad.gif

Though it will be interesting to see tomorrow's result and the day after. McCain looked stronger on Economy yesterday. But Obama said his plan will be known soon.

I think Obama should pull a Perot and bring out a chart. I'm sick of McCain misleading the people into saying Obama wants to raise taxes when Obama is only raising taxes for the rich. Not the middle class. Bring out the chart Obama!!! I don't know what McCain thiks he's doing. come debate time he won't be able to hid this. he can't mislead so easily with Obama right there next to him.

McCain and many of his surrogates have been asked that. their answer to that question is that Obama's senate record shows that he has raised taxes, so even though he SAYS he's not going to raise them for the middle class, you can't trust that b/c of his record in the Senate. I havent scrutinized his Senate record in terms of taxes, but I would almost bet theyre stretching the truth or being misleading in that respect as well.

oh and Obama should totally whip out a chart. I mean, He and Perot both have the same sized ears!! haha

Tags
gay baby polar bears groupthink hope mccain 2008 obama! oil whore r o n p a u l ! sarah palin is hot tony bennett in 2008
Back
Top Bottom