The new football thread

Old Solskjaer haha! We were terrible that year and at 4-1 with ten minutes to go away at Old Trafford I remember thinking I'll take that. Then Solskjaer comes on and makes it 8 (eight).

Agree on the other stuff although our own governing bodies are much better.

1-8 was at the city ground

They already have won things but they have a lot of things stacked against them it seems. Still they did what they did their own way and not like City and Chelsea who came from nowhere to win things because of oil money.

I remember Forest beating us or getting draws many times live on swedish tv in the 80's. I remember we messed up a lead at your ground and lost to a last minute winner and even a game that was postponed because of bad weather which was supposed to be live on tv here.

In the end Clough became a very negative manager and he really parked the bus. Me and dad went to Highbury in February 1987 when Arsenal played Forest on a re arranged Tuesday night which ended 0-0 and I'll never forget your wonderful defender Des Walker who shut up shop that night,
I am not a fan of any Premier League team, my team have never been there (Wycombe Wanderers in case you are wondering) but it makes me cringe when I see other fans, especially United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans going on about City and their oil money.
The regular cry that City's money is somewhat ''dirty'' and their clubs money is perfectly clean is rubbish.

The so called elite of Europe were not happy with a straight forward knockout competition in which a perceived European giant could be knocked out in the first round of the European Cup.
They got their own way from a weak UEFA and the Champions League was born (where most teams in it were not champions).
With this brought a guaranteed 3 home games plus TV rights. But to make it easier for the big boys, the top two from each group would qualify for the knockout stages. Oh and to make it even easier, groups would be seeded.

And from this every season for almost 20 years, we had Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal feasting at the table. Only Blackburn, Leeds and Everton managed a one off appearance. Chelsea joined the table too, a little later, when hey presto UEFA allowed 4 English clubs in (at the expense of so called weaker sides)

Oh I forgot...... just in case any of the big boys couldn't make the top two from the league group (or messed up in the preliminary round) they would drop into the UEFA Cup / Europa Cup, to guarantee even more gate money and TV rights.

And from this vast amounts that United / Arsenal and Liverpool (and Chelsea to a lesser degree) earnt from this competition, they were able to attract the better players, pay more wages, retain a place in the top 4 and carry on again next season. The rich got richer, the poor couldn't keep up. Leeds and Blackburn tried and ended up in the 3rd Division!
So we had a cartel where the league was predictable in one of two or three clubs winning it (Liverpool never had a chance) every season. And the Champions League was stale with either Bayern, Barca or Real winning it every year with the odd appearance by United / Chelsea or even Arsenal on one occasion.

Yet this money is seen as clean when it is as crooked as anything you will ever see.
I'm glad City gate crashed the party. Challenging the so called elite and the entitled. Challenging the status quo. And PSG too (although they seem to not be able to reach the top yet).
And these clubs (note not West Ham or West Brom or Watford) but these big clubs had the nerve to call for FFP to prevent clubs coming in and taking their cash away from the trough.

I hope City win the Champions League purely to see the jealousy on the faces of all these fans shouting dirty money. Money, that if being given to their club, they would welcome immediately.

I am not a fan of any Premier League team, my team have never been there (Wycombe Wanderers in case you are wondering) but it makes me cringe when I see other fans, especially United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans going on about City and their oil money.
The regular cry that City's money is somewhat ''dirty'' and their clubs money is perfectly clean is rubbish.

The so called elite of Europe were not happy with a straight forward knockout competition in which a perceived European giant could be knocked out in the first round of the European Cup.
They got their own way from a weak UEFA and the Champions League was born (where most teams in it were not champions).
With this brought a guaranteed 3 home games plus TV rights. But to make it easier for the big boys, the top two from each group would qualify for the knockout stages. Oh and to make it even easier, groups would be seeded.

And from this every season for almost 20 years, we had Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal feasting at the table. Only Blackburn, Leeds and Everton managed a one off appearance. Chelsea joined the table too, a little later, when hey presto UEFA allowed 4 English clubs in (at the expense of so called weaker sides)

Oh I forgot...... just in case any of the big boys couldn't make the top two from the league group (or messed up in the preliminary round) they would drop into the UEFA Cup / Europa Cup, to guarantee even more gate money and TV rights.

And from this vast amounts that United / Arsenal and Liverpool (and Chelsea to a lesser degree) earnt from this competition, they were able to attract the better players, pay more wages, retain a place in the top 4 and carry on again next season. The rich got richer, the poor couldn't keep up. Leeds and Blackburn tried and ended up in the 3rd Division!
So we had a cartel where the league was predictable in one of two or three clubs winning it (Liverpool never had a chance) every season. And the Champions League was stale with either Bayern, Barca or Real winning it every year with the odd appearance by United / Chelsea or even Arsenal on one occasion.

Yet this money is seen as clean when it is as crooked as anything you will ever see.
I'm glad City gate crashed the party. Challenging the so called elite and the entitled. Challenging the status quo. And PSG too (although they seem to not be able to reach the top yet).
And these clubs (note not West Ham or West Brom or Watford) but these big clubs had the nerve to call for FFP to prevent clubs coming in and taking their cash away from the trough.

I hope City win the Champions League purely to see the jealousy on the faces of all these fans shouting dirty money. Money, that if being given to their club, they would welcome immediately.

We all see it differently and have different taste is all. Your opinion fits in perfect with the anti-Brexit crew who work hard every day to turn the UK into a bigger muslim state than the ones the muslims already have.

You can't buy class or history but City and Chelsea did.

Your dream will come true, Wycombe eh?

barca & Bayern get kind draws in the UCL quarters. Real should be too strong for juventus.
Liverpool City guarantees us an English participant in the Semis. City will be favourites but it’s not a done deal. I think the first leg being at Anfield suits Liverpool.

We all see it differently and have different taste is all. Your opinion fits in perfect with the anti-Brexit crew who work hard every day to turn the UK into a bigger muslim state than the ones the muslims already have.
You have spouted some shit over the years on these forums. This has to be the most laughable (laughing at you, not with you)

The two English clubs are drawn together in the Champions League. There’s a shock.

To improve European football I’d dump the Europa League and chuck everyone into one competition. All champions seeded to the latter stages, then a straight one game knockout for the rest until a group stage, then home and away knockouts until the final.

All energy drink clubs banned and pelted at halftime in the final with rotten potatoes by fans of 1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig and SV Austria Salzburg.

Watching parts of Mourinho's press conference live on MUTV earlier today made it clear he had a rant on Kevin Keegan 1996 levels. Still not sure if he completely lost the plot or actually said between the lines that the club needs to step up in order to get back to the big time. I guess him going from saying THEM about the club he manages to making it sound like the most successful english club in the Champions League is a failure means his time really is up.

I knew City would get Liverpool in the CL and UEFA must be very pleased to make sure that only one english side now reaches the semis. All the other big teams kept apart in the draw so it should leave these four times for the semi final draw:

City
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich

I am thanking some kind of football god for making sure United did not make it which would have meant 2 games against Bayern Munich who might well have scored 8 goals over the two legs once again like they did against the turks.

You have spouted some shit over the years on these forums. This has to be the most laughable (laughing at you, not with you)
I am surprised Phill that you swapped City for Wycombe now you actually have the chance to win something but you don't come across as someone enjoying winning or football. Some people use football or other sports as some kind of revenge mission on life baking into it all kinds of things not having anything to do with the sport or club.

So I just finished watching Mourinho's entire press conference and what a battle cry from the man to say he wants to stay and came for the challenge when he could have gone to a club abroad where the league title is secured even before the season starts.

This was him telling everyone working for the club and the owners to start to work much harder than they have in the last few years. It was obvious he was saying between the lines that the investments have not been on the level needed and accepted for a club like United.

I love how he praised City and how they have over time built the team they now have. To Mourinho there success is no fluke but constant hard working and planning on all levels.

No doubt after this that the club is at a crossroads and have to decide to back Mourinho like they did with Sir Alex or go for yet another manager. Mourinho really has to back that rant up with results and a style of play the fans can accept and really big investments in the summer as well as selling a lot of players who are well past it.

The end to this season will be really interesting now to see if he stays or goes or gets the sack.

The pitch at Old Trafford completely covered in snow 2 hours before kick off but MUTV has been showing the staff working with it and they have now cleared all snow. They did turn on the undersoil heating yesterday so it won't be hard but it is snowing like mad and David May and David Sullivan standing next to the pitch are really struggling in the weather.

Never seen MUTV show the United bus arrive to the Old Trafford area on a drone camera like they do at cup finals.

The pitch at Old Trafford completely covered in snow 2 hours before kick off but MUTV has been showing the staff working with it and they have now cleared all snow. They did turn on the undersoil heating yesterday so it won't be hard but it is snowing like mad and David May and David Sullivan standing next to the pitch are really struggling in the weather.

Never seen MUTV show the United bus arrive to the Old Trafford area on a drone camera like they do at cup finals.
*Mark Sullivan

Not sure I wanna see United reach the FA Cup semis with Spurs already through having played every home league game at Wembley and also Chelsea left in the cup.

If they avoid each other in semi final draw I reckon it will be Spurs-Chelsea in the final.

Tonight it was evident what United have lacked since Sir Alex left, the ability to respond to a bad result. That display against Brighton lacked exactly everything a side needs after a bad result to restore the faith in the team.

United in the semis and it will be over when they are drawn against Spurs or Chelsea and should they avoid both in the semi draw then defeat in the final against any of those sides is inevitable.

This will be a stretch too far as far as Mourinho saving a season with a trophy goes. A 2 week break at last when I usually hate them but I wish this break was even longer.

Gonna enjoy a bit of Easter before United bore my pants off again and send me to sleep when they face Swansea at Old Trafford on Easter Saturday.

Waiting for the Chelsea game at Leicester to confirm them as the last side to make it to the FA Cup semis. The draw numbers are as follows:

1. Spurs
2. Man United
3. Southampton
4. Chelsea

You can watch the draw live here after the Leicester-Chelsea game at around 18.15 UK time:

http://tvcatchup.com/watch/bbcone

Watching Leicester-Chelsea it is hard to believe they are the last two champions of the Premier League. I thought Man United were poor in attack when they play it forward to Lukaku but Leicester simply cannot do anything in the last third and it looks like they are not even trying.

Morata must be the worst transfer since Garry Birtles headed to Man United. The licked alley cat from Italy scored his first goal since Boxing Day in the first half of the game today.

Large

WONDERFUL WIGAN WE LOVE YOU, 3 IN A ROW

BAN AGUERO FOR LIFE!

NO QUADRUPLE WHEN THEY REALLY HAD THE CHANCE TO ACHIEVE THE IMPOSSIBLE.
180px-FC_Southampton.svg.png

Saints should be easier to beat than Wigan at Wembley and the other sides left wanna face ya there now. Good start for Hughes but we all know what happens with him in charge for a few months.
Brighton got relegated in 1983 before they lost the FA Cup final after a draw and defeat in the replay against Man United.

Weird that the draw numbers changed and of course Chelsea got the easiest team in Southampton. At least I won't have to see United lost the final now as they will be beaten by Spurs playing on their new home stadium Wembley.

Chelsea's luck in the FA Cup draws are all down to the FA and this game is now officially corrupt and I have had enough and am walking away from it.

Goodbye football and Solo!

Weird that the draw numbers changed and of course Chelsea got the easiest team in Southampton. At least I won't have to see United lost the final now as they will be beaten by Spurs playing on their new home stadium Wembley.

Chelsea's luck in the FA Cup draws are all down to the FA and this game is now officially corrupt and I have had enough and am walking away from it.

Goodbye football and Solo!

Well someone had to get Southampton, but it’s a stretch to call it corruption. Chelsea haven’t even won it since 2012, last year they played Utd, Spurs & Arsenal, hardly a cosy draw. They also drew city in 14/15 & 15/16. Not sure where the “luck” is?
I think Utd will beat spurs, Spurs have proved time and time again they don’t have the bottle when it counts, they’ll get out foxed by United.

Back
Top Bottom