The new football thread

That's modern football all round really. I went to Forest v Derby the other day and the atmosphere was fantastic but and most of the time in the recent past it's as dead as a doornail, whatever one of those is. You're right talking about standing, it hasn't really been right at games since it went all seater. My club has taken the piss in being badly run, we had Fawaz who sacked pretty much everyone at the club bar himself and his family hangers on. One story has it that one of them turned up and scoured through the books and was outraged at the cost of footballs when they could be bought for a fiver each down Asda. These twats came in talking about winning European Cups. Honestly.

We've got shot of those now though and got a Greek fella who runs Olympiakos. Rumours are he's fixed games and blown up a referee's bakery. I have to say that as far as Forest are concerned he's a breath of fresh air. The club has employed people throughout, got a proper manager, reduced ticket prices and got us going again. Might take a year or two but as long as we're patient we could be back in the top division before long.

Anyway, that's a long detour, if you run your club properly it gets fans on board, if your owners take the piss fans know it. At Man U you've got so many fans that your ground will always be full unlike us who made our ground half full but those in the ground still know. Proper fans know and why should they give everything all game when no f***er employed by the club is?
But you see empty seats at OT on a regular basis now and I feel the english game is where Serie A was before most tv companies pulled the plug on it. BT Sport focusing on The Championship instead of PL says it all.

I watched your game against Derby and it is weird watching Forest at their ground knowing where they were once. My girlfriends dad whose married to a former english teacher from Thailand has friends and family in Nottingham and not far from the City Ground if I remember correctly. They've travelled over a few times in the past but of course go to Thailand more where they had a multi storey house built with a store at the bottom making some cash from the tennants.

They say we have a room waiting for us but we don't do warm weather and humid places but it was a really nice place well built and all which was impressive.

I met a woman at Manchester airport married to one of the United executives years ago and although she was nice and all it was a bit like meeting a representative for the Queen and it felt like it had nothing to do with Manchester or United and more like talking to someone connected with a London based Dubai project or other.

I might well pack in football altogether cause I always sensed when it was time to abandon something and walk away whether it be work or friends. The only thing you are sure of in life is that the things you loved will be taken away from you.

Not bitter at all!

LOL

I’m putting this all on the manager, it’s mourinhos tactics, his style, his personality, just isn’t blending. You’ve got club & supporters that demand attacking football, and a manager that can’t seem to comply, weather he doesn’t know how or he’s just being stubborn. You can hear the discontent every time utd make a sideways pass, no one wants to knock the ball forward, it’s all too safe, fear of making a mistake and it spreads thru the whole team, you can visible see it, They arnt enjoying their football one bit either, they’re being told to play a way that doesn’t suit them, they look depressed & It’s depressing to watch. As for us still winning trophies?, 3 (1 league cup, 1 FA cup, 1 europa league) in the last five years, means f*** all, Arsenal have won 3 FA Cups in that time, Chelsea, City & Leicester has won league titles. Utd are judged on league titles and European cups. You know we’re utter shite, anyone who’s been devoted to the club for any length of time knows how poor this is, Gerrard saying we had a “off night”, I’m sure a lot of non Utd fans share that opinion and look at our position in the league and think we’re doing ok, This is the worst I’ve ever seen Utd play in 25 years of following them.

No, I was born in 86’, I’m a spoilt fan, I was 6 year old when the Premier League started, I’ve known nothing but United dominance. And let’s not paper over the cracks and act like 2 minor trophies & 1 FA Cup counts as “Still winning trophies since fergie left”. I’ll say again, we’re judged on league titles, We’re the biggest club in the world and haven’t even been in contention in our own league since 2013. People can say problems started when fergie was there, but he signed off with a league title. Then we sold 3 or 4 old heads that would’ve been invaluable in the dressing room. It’s been a f***ing shambles and a borefest. I hope your source is right and Jose gets the boot, not even too concerned who replaces him at the minute, just get him out the door. Our “style” of football doesn’t even warrant being 2nd in the league. Utter shite!

But you see empty seats at OT on a regular basis now and I feel the english game is where Serie A was before most tv companies pulled the plug on it. BT Sport focusing on The Championship instead of PL says it all.

I watched your game against Derby and it is weird watching Forest at their ground knowing where they were once. My girlfriends dad whose married to a former english teacher from Thailand has friends and family in Nottingham and not far from the City Ground if I remember correctly. They've travelled over a few times in the past but of course go to Thailand more where they had a multi storey house built with a store at the bottom making some cash from the tennants.

They say we have a room waiting for us but we don't do warm weather and humid places but it was a really nice place well built and all which was impressive.

I met a woman at Manchester airport married to one of the United executives years ago and although she was nice and all it was a bit like meeting a representative for the Queen and it felt like it had nothing to do with Manchester or United and more like talking to someone connected with a London based Dubai project or other.

I might well pack in football altogether cause I always sensed when it was time to abandon something and walk away whether it be work or friends. The only thing you are sure of in life is that the things you loved will be taken away from you.

Not bitter at all!

LOL

haha, I completely lost interest in the game on the whole but that was because my club was run by shitbags and usually by the time our game was done I'd had enough of football for the weekend. The trouble with football now is the money which always corrupts. Despite it all, if you get a proper football man running your club things can be fun again. It's just a case of chucking the wrong 'uns out which can take years.

The Derby game was awful wasn't it? Great game to be at though and I think that's what it's all about. I stopped going so much cause it was always boring, the football is usually boring but you want the atmosphere at the game to make it fun. You need to get that shit back at OT.

No, I was born in 86’, I’m a spoilt fan, I was 6 year old when the Premier League started, I’ve known nothing but United dominance. And let’s not paper over the cracks and act like 2 minor trophies & 1 FA Cup counts as “Still winning trophies since fergie left”. I’ll say again, we’re judged on league titles, We’re the biggest club in the world and haven’t even been in contention in our own league since 2013. People can say problems started when fergie was there, but he signed off with a league title. Then we sold 3 or 4 old heads that would’ve been invaluable in the dressing room. It’s been a f***ing shambles and a borefest. I hope your source is right and Jose gets the boot, not even too concerned who replaces him at the minute, just get him out the door. Our “style” of football doesn’t even warrant being 2nd in the league. Utter shite!
Glad I can still enjoy United winning trophies unlike many other fans like yourself. I still remember when us ever winning anything was a sick joke.

I will say though that the english game has been hijacked by UEFA and that managers in the past before a season started always said their aim was to win the league. Now they say they are ok with a place in the CL.

Even mid table managers back then had the ambition to win the league and aim high but now it's all "we'll take 4th spot and play some european side over 2 games to qualify".

Never before have there been so many average sides in the PL and the old saying that anyone can be beaten on the day is not as true as it used to be.

When I was younger your lot were f***ing rubbish. The Scousers dominated all apart from a brief bit of respite from us, Villa and Everton. It was great playing Man U though cause you were playing against a club with a bigger reputation that you knew you were better than and would usually beat. The thing is, a club of your size will always rise up again as long as you're together. I don't care for LFC much but you've got to hand it to 'em, win lose or draw those f***ers do it as a group and are AWAYS on side, more than any other club I know. Imagine having been where they've been and having to suck it up now but they do it and at some point they'll be winning things again. That's the spirit your lot need. Don't behave like Arsenal fans and to a lesser extent Forest and Leeds - we have reason to bitch and moan but it does no good.

haha, I completely lost interest in the game on the whole but that was because my club was run by shitbags and usually by the time our game was done I'd had enough of football for the weekend. The trouble with football now is the money which always corrupts. Despite it all, if you get a proper football man running your club things can be fun again. It's just a case of chucking the wrong 'uns out which can take years.

The Derby game was awful wasn't it? Great game to be at though and I think that's what it's all about. I stopped going so much cause it was always boring, the football is usually boring but you want the atmosphere at the game to make it fun. You need to get that shit back at OT.
Getting it back at OT will need a clear out within the club of gigantic proportions. They banned fans singing earlier this season and have of course banned some fans for comments on social media as well so people are afraid to lose their season tickets.

Your game was crap yes but the Derby fans were jumping up and down trying to create some atmosphere. I told Pilla about the Sherwood forest and the Robin Hood cartoon that they show parts of here every christmas eve since before I was born.

I knew a swedish lad who started a band called Sherwood.

LOL

When I was younger your lot were f***ing rubbish. The Scousers dominated all apart from a brief bit of respite from us, Villa and Everton. It was great playing Man U though cause you were playing against a club with a bigger reputation that you knew you were better than and would usually beat. The thing is, a club of your size will always rise up again as long as you're together. I don't care for LFC much but you've got to hand it to 'em, win lose or draw those f***ers do it as a group and are AWAYS on side, more than any other club I know. Imagine having been where they've been and having to suck it up now but they do it and at some point they'll be winning things again.
They already have won things but they have a lot of things stacked against them it seems. Still they did what they did their own way and not like City and Chelsea who came from nowhere to win things because of oil money.

I remember Forest beating us or getting draws many times live on swedish tv in the 80's. I remember we messed up a lead at your ground and lost to a last minute winner and even a game that was postponed because of bad weather which was supposed to be live on tv here.

In the end Clough became a very negative manager and he really parked the bus. Me and dad went to Highbury in February 1987 when Arsenal played Forest on a re arranged Tuesday night which ended 0-0 and I'll never forget your wonderful defender Des Walker who shut up shop that night,

This was the game I mentioned when United had a two goal lead but the game ended 2-2 and not 3-2 to Forest though I am pretty sure you beat us at home with a last minute goal once which was also live on tv here.

There were quite a number of draws between the clubs as I recall. You beat us at OT when Ulrika's stalker had a field day.

Johnny MetGOD!

This was the game I mentioned when United had a two goal lead but the game ended 2-2 and not 3-2 to Forest though I am pretty sure you beat us at home with a last minute goal once which was also live on tv here.

There were quite a number of draws between the clubs as I recall. You beat us at OT when Ulrika's stalker had a field day.

Johnny MetGOD!

It said 2-2 but I was right it was 3-2 to Forest. My memory never fails me when it comes to United and football. How soon is now is added to that video and maybe it was taken from a swedish show that used to show games to music by The Smiths?

I was so gutted after that game and it feels like it was yesterday.

5 english sides in the last 16 and now just 2 left and Liverpool sticking out like a sore thumb. UEFA prefer Barcelona and Real Madrid if they have to so City are playing not only the sides left but also UEFA through the referee.

Welcome to the world of Man United, Citeh!

They already have won things but they have a lot of things stacked against them it seems. Still they did what they did their own way and not like City and Chelsea who came from nowhere to win things because of oil money.

I remember Forest beating us or getting draws many times live on swedish tv in the 80's. I remember we messed up a lead at your ground and lost to a last minute winner and even a game that was postponed because of bad weather which was supposed to be live on tv here.

In the end Clough became a very negative manager and he really parked the bus. Me and dad went to Highbury in February 1987 when Arsenal played Forest on a re arranged Tuesday night which ended 0-0 and I'll never forget your wonderful defender Des Walker who shut up shop that night,

Brian was just tactically astute, not in the nitpicky modern football way but he knew when to batter a team or when to sit back and pick em off. Johnny Metgod was my favourite player as a kid. This goal I believe is still holds the record for the hardest shot from a deadball. It certainly did before the funny footballs were introduced.

The other game we only won 2-1 although Stan had a perfectly good overhead kick goal ruled out. Say what you like about Stan but he was one of the best players I've ever seen when he played for us. I've seen us win two European Cups, play in the top flight for however many years, seen the likes of Cantona - who I adore, Bergkamp, Zola, Lineker, Rush, etc but still would pick Collymore over them all. The best striker I saw for us. Pity he went mental.

Brian was just tactically astute, not in the nitpicky modern football way but he knew when to batter a team or when to sit back and pick em off. Johnny Metgod was my favourite player as a kid. This goal I believe is still holds the record for the hardest shot from a deadball. It certainly did before the funny footballs were introduced.

Glad I mentioned your favourite and that goal against West Ham I remember and I am pretty sure it was live on tv in Sweden or else they showed it during highlights of other games.

I was in Leeds the day Clough managed his last game which was weird and the film about it was great and I watched it at Christmas some years ago in my Man United museum/cinema room where I have a projector and 100 inch screen.

I never use that mancave anymore.

The other game we only won 2-1 although Stan had a perfectly good overhead kick goal ruled out. Say what you like about Stan but he was one of the best players I've ever seen when he played for us. I've seen us win two European Cups, play in the top flight for however many years, seen the likes of Cantona - who I adore, Bergkamp, Zola, Lineker, Rush, etc but still would pick Collymore over them all. The best striker I saw for us. Pity he went mental.
Yeah, he sure threw it all away and that defeat at home to Forest was another game leaving me gutted. When you mention it I remember that overhead kick goal.

The period with Stuart Pearce as manager at Forest was pretty mental too.

LOL

Will never forget when Solskjaer destroyed ya when we were truly unstoppable. These kind of memories makes your realise how much can change and how much you have to look forward to unless the game continues to change in the dramatic way it has in recent years.

I wish the english clubs said fook off to UEFA and went their own way making others follow. A new governing body for football is what we need now. How on earth can we still have such a corrupted group of people still running the rule over the game.

Madness! (and I don't mean the band they play at Chelsea when they beat us).

Once again Chelsea faced Barcelona and despite knocking them out when winning it in 2012 they still are unlucky to be drawn against them. As always with Barcelona the referee was mysteriously poor and no one in their right mind can no longer doubt that Barcelona are given advantages like no other club in Europe.

That norwegian referee when Drogba shouted disgrace into the camera is a classic. It looked good for the english sides but now only two are left in this competition which highlights how poor PL is at the moment.

Barcelona (ESP)
Bayern München (GER)
Juventus (ITA)
Liverpool (ENG)
Manchester City (ENG)
Real Madrid (ESP, holders)
Roma (ITA)
Sevilla (ESP)

Once again Chelsea faced Barcelona and despite knocking them out when winning it in 2012 they still are unlucky to be drawn against them. As always with Barcelona the referee was mysteriously poor and no one in their right mind can no longer doubt that Barcelona are given advantages like no other club in Europe.

That norwegian referee when Drogba shouted disgrace into the camera is a classic. It looked good for the english sides but now only two are left in this competition which highlights how poor PL is at the moment.

Barcelona (ESP)
Bayern München (GER)
Juventus (ITA)
Liverpool (ENG)
Manchester City (ENG)
Real Madrid (ESP, holders)
Roma (ITA)
Sevilla (ESP)

Was impressed with Chelsea tho, 3-0 flattered Barca. As for only two English sides in the last 8, I don’t think many expected Chelsea to get thru, Spurs losing to Juve, no big surprise even tho they showed they can complete at this level. Only real shocker was Utd, if they beat Sevilla like they should’ve, then it would’ve been 3 English & only 2 Spanish, then we’d be saying the Spanish league is shite. Truth is, all leagues are top heavy, no more so than Spain & Germany, throw France in there, they have one big superpower then a load of shite teams making up the numbers. Same with Bayern, Barca, Real that’s it, can put City in amongst them now, I reckon as long as we’ve got 1 or two teams mixing it in the semis & finals, that’s a decent reflection on the PL.

Was impressed with Chelsea tho, 3-0 flattered Barca. As for only two English sides in the last 8, I don’t think many expected Chelsea to get thru, Spurs losing to Juve, no big surprise even tho they showed they can complete at this level. Only real shocker was Utd, if they beat Sevilla like they should’ve, then it would’ve been 3 English & only 2 Spanish, then we’d be saying the Spanish league is shite. Truth is, all leagues are top heavy, no more so than Spain & Germany, throw France in there, they have one big superpower then a load of shite teams making up the numbers. Same with Bayern, Barca, Real that’s it, can put City in amongst them now, I reckon as long as we’ve got 1 or two teams mixing it in the semis & finals, that’s a decent reflection on the PL.
I felt Chelsea never got a kick in the game.

That polish ref at Wembley in return leg between Spurs and Juve was a disgrace, so poor a kid at 5 would have done it better.

I don' feel it was a shock Seville beat us cause english sides always underestimate foreign sides anyway. The english midtable sides used to be hard to beat but not these days.

I felt Chelsea never got a kick in the game.

That polish ref at Wembley in return leg between Spurs and Juve was a disgrace, so poor a kid at 5 would have done it better.

I don' feel it was a shock Seville beat us cause english sides always underestimate foreign sides anyway. The english midtable sides used to be hard to beat but not these days.

Did you watch it? They were all over Barca for large periods, not sure what the possession stats were but it was about 50/50, more shots , more corners, hit the woodwork twice, Trust me they played great!
If you took the bottom six Spanish sides vs the bottom six PL, it would be quite even, theres some awful sides in LaLiga. And Take the top 6 the PL is way stronger pound 4 pound. Mid tables pretty even. I do hope City go on to win it tho despite my saying they won’t.

Did you watch it? They were all over Barca for large periods, not sure what the possession stats were but it was about 50/50, more shots , more corners, hit the woodwork twice, Trust me they played great!
If you took the bottom six Spanish sides vs the bottom six PL, it would be quite even, theres some awful sides in LaLiga. And Take the top 6 the PL is way stronger pound 4 pound. Mid tables pretty even. I do hope City go on to win it tho despite my saying they won’t.
Yeah, I did watch it and I saw a Chelsea side looking like ice cream melting running like mad to control Messi and the others to no avail. No wonder Messi scores loads when no one tackles him not even when the ball is there for the taking like Azpilicueta (can you have just any name these days, are there no regulations?) during build up to the second goal.

You underestimate the spanish dominance when it comes to technique and control. English sides field african players with no stamina or ball control cause they come cheap and prefer to play basketball in the states.

We need to reinstate those banana boats and regular time schedules.

Yeah, he sure threw it all away and that defeat at home to Forest was another game leaving me gutted. When you mention it I remember that overhead kick goal.

The period with Stuart Pearce as manager at Forest was pretty mental too.

LOL

Will never forget when Solskjaer destroyed ya when we were truly unstoppable. These kind of memories makes your realise how much can change and how much you have to look forward to unless the game continues to change in the dramatic way it has in recent years.

I wish the english clubs said fook off to UEFA and went their own way making others follow. A new governing body for football is what we need now. How on earth can we still have such a corrupted group of people still running the rule over the game.

Madness! (and I don't mean the band they play at Chelsea when they beat us).

Old Solskjaer haha! We were terrible that year and at 4-1 with ten minutes to go away at Old Trafford I remember thinking I'll take that. Then Solskjaer comes on and makes it 8 (eight).

Agree on the other stuff although our own governing bodies are much better.

Back
Top Bottom