The Drivel Thread

I know about her delusions of Russell Brand stroking her hair on a bus and Gary Day auditing her art class (if I’m remembering these things correctly). It’s bonkers, of course, and the sexual abuse stuff is a bit much, but overall she’s a nice poster. I’ll hear her out on God. That’s a delusion even the good citizens have.

I know about her delusions of Russell Brand stroking her hair on a bus and Gary Day auditing her art class (if I’m remembering these things correctly). It’s bonkers, of course, and the sexual abuse stuff is a bit much, but overall she’s a nice poster. I’ll hear her out on God. That’s a delusion even the good citizens have.
Gary Day and several others infiltrated my sewing class, not my art class.

On the subject of God, my mental health worker called it the universe, and we walked past some boys and one boy said "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?", and I said to my worker, "Which came first, God or the universe?".

Spencer Cobrin was in the class too. I can say that definitely. I'm guessing the other two were Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer.

Gary Day and several others infiltrated my sewing class, not my art class.

On the subject of God, my mental health worker called it the universe, and we walked past some boys and one boy said "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?", and I said to my worker, "Which came first, God or the universe?".

Your therapist sounds like a Vedantist. There’s usually a difference between God and the universe. If they’re synonymous, then that’s a non-interventionist god, which is nothing worth bothering about. God is typically said to precede the universe, since he is supposed to have created it. (Some ancient smartass once wondered, “what was God doing before he created the world?”, and St. Augustine said, “he was preparing hell for those who inquire into mysteries.”)

On the subject of prayer, though, should a person really pray for a neat apartment and a cuddling session with a pop singer? Apologies for being critical, but that seems selfish. If there’s a god, then it seems like that god should focus its divine energies on ending the sufferings of this world, not sending extra niceties to people who are comparatively okay. “God, come down, if you’re really there … ”

It's just as plausible to believe in a God as it is to not believe in a God. The idea that you, aubrey, decide which is more plausible is in itself a delusion, since God, if he exists, can, by nature of what he is, justify his own existence.

Your therapist sounds like a Vedantist. There’s usually a difference between God and the universe. If they’re synonymous, then that’s a non-interventionist god, which is nothing worth bothering about. God is typically said to precede the universe, since he is supposed to have created it. (Some ancient smartass once wondered, “what was God doing before he created the world?”, and St. Augustine said, “he was preparing hell for those who inquire into mysteries.”)

On the subject of prayer, though, should a person really pray for a neat apartment and a cuddling session with a pop singer? Apologies for being critical, but that seems selfish. If there’s a god, then it seems like that god should focus its divine energies on ending the sufferings of this world, not sending extra niceties to people who are comparatively okay. “God, come down, if you’re really there … ”
I think it's selfish to think that your prayers are selfish. Do you think God has such limits that your prayers are going to overwhelm him and take his focus away from true suffering?

Well, you have to start somewhere, if you're going begin praying. I'm new at praying, so I'm starting with prayers for self care. Hopefully I'll gradually branch out to pray to end world misery.

I have a girlfriend to thank. This is the text message I sent to her:
"Thanks for talking to me about God. It inspires me to believe in God too. Morrissey singing my name is the spark that ignites what you said about believing in God."

All those fairly new shoes I gave her has paid off handsomely.

This is my favorite story of all time. I am so excited you guys are all talking about this again. And you know everything about sewing class or going to sewing class or having anything to do with sewing was all 100% Gary Day’s idea!

Forgiveness and anger can coexist. I say this as I remember that my sister probably killed our canary, because we were getting along smashingly. If she would only come clean and admit that she tried several times to kill me. She denies it. If she would only come clean about everything, including Pete the canary, possibly Dad, Nan, and maybe even eventually Mum. People dying when they try to forge a loving relationship with me. Mum sent a walkman across the country for me and soon after she had a mysterious death. I can forgive everything and still be angry, but only if she comes clean. Will it ever happen? I would like to see that side of her, open and childlike, knowing that I can forgive her, whatever she's done, though I loved that canary, etc. Dad never had a chance to get to know me. Nan got me to sing for nickels and dimes. Pete would chase my toes, and sing for me. But I can forgive anything because deep down inside, I will always love her, underneath my hatred.

I sang Sure Enough the Telephone Rings above, because I know that my phone will finally ring if my sister finds out that a rich man loves me.

I think it's selfish to think that your prayers are selfish. Do you think God has such limits that your prayers are going to overwhelm him and take his focus away from true suffering?

I don't know, but something is taking God's focus away from true suffering. I assume it must be all the prayers for mundane things like passing a math test or finding lost keys. Because he seems to come through on some of that stuff, while the scale of true suffering only increases.

Well, you have to start somewhere, if you're going begin praying. I'm new at praying, so I'm starting with prayers for self care. Hopefully I'll gradually branch out to pray to end world misery.

I don't see how this is a training wheels situation. You just fold your hands together, bow your head, and say, "dear non-binary god, please end all the misery in the world. Amen."

It's just as plausible to believe in a God as it is to not believe in a God. The idea that you, aubrey, decide which is more plausible is in itself a delusion, since God, if he exists, can, by nature of what he is, justify his own existence.

Morrissey spontaneously singing a common given name is not unusual. But if in a couple weeks Light Housework posts pictures of Morrissey in her apartment admiring her paintings, then my interest in her god will perk up. A skeptic might say it's photoshop ("deep fake!"), but if a day later the same pictures show up on Morrissey Central captioned, "I LOVE KAREN, I LOVE SHARON," then I'll have to think that something extraordinary is going on. Because what are the odds that Morrissey would decide to fall in love with a lonely schizophrenic in Vancouver? The skeptic might still say there's an explanation. "She's hacked Morrissey Central" or "she bribed Rayner to post it," but at every step, the confidence in this god would have to go up. This god could justify its own existence.

I don't see how this is a training wheels situation. You just fold your hands together, bow your head, and say, "dear non-binary god, please end all the misery in the world. Amen."
I just asked God to "please end all the misery in the world.". Fingers crossed

Tags
anxiety bloody awful poetry testing the waters trying to feel good in your own skin trying to make friends wanting to alleviate anxiety wanting to feel safe to be honest wanting to have integrity
Back
Top Bottom