"The Boy Racer" - thoughts?

Young And Alive

I never used to like this song much, but I recently started to listen to it again and it's superb!

"He's got too many girlfriends - I'm jealous, that's all!"

I love Morrissey most when he's at his bluntest. No cryptic metaphors here, it's just pretty much straightforward!

And that line about the urinal is brilliant!

On top of this, it's one of Alain's best compositions IMO.

Plus the video's great!!

A real gem, I absolutely love it. Whenever I walk down a High Street or go to a pub on a Friday night, I seem to think about these lyrics.

The Boy Racer and The Ordinary Boys would get on very well...

A real gem, I absolutely love it. Whenever I walk down a High Street or go to a pub on a Friday night, I seem to think about these lyrics.

The Boy Racer and The Ordinary Boys would get on very well...

I like this song very much :)

makes me think of all the posers at college! :D they all hav so many girlfreinds and i am ever so slightly jealous of them lol, the only thing that annoys me about this song is the outro which drags on a bit but nevertheless a gd song, love the hav u seen him gooooo though bit:)

I rediscover songs all the time. It's fun. This was one I rediscovered awhile ago. The vifdeo is cool too. Moz looks good in it.

Let me ask you opinion on an album that I can't "rediscover". I never liked it. Every now and then I'll put it on to try to get used to it, it never works.
Does anyone like Maladjusted? Does Morrissey even like Maladjusted?

Monique

I think the two many girlfriends line is spoken in the third person, in other words people only hate the boy racer because he is popular with the ladies ( see Teenage dad for similar themes)

My over analytical mind also sometimes tells me that this song has something to do with James Dean

its probabably my favourite album at the moment, i like the singles from it, alma, roy and satan, trouble loves me ranks as 1 of the best songs he has ever writen, it has my favourite opening track 2 an album and ammuniton is another of my fav's, papa jack and he cried are qutie weak but all in all i enjoy listeing 2 it, the b sides 2 the majadjusted period were maginficent.

My over analytical mind also sometimes tells me that this song has something to do with James Dean

yes i was just going to write how i always think of james dean when hearing this song, you know with james dean's street racing and how it killed him ("have you seen him go, though, boy racer..." and "we're gonna kill this pretty thing"). i usually thnk of the song as him criticizing dean in a way because of his admiration for him, and possible jealousy? just the things that dean symbolizes...

I rediscover songs all the time. It's fun. This was one I rediscovered awhile ago. The vifdeo is cool too. Moz looks good in it.

Let me ask you opinion on an album that I can't "rediscover". I never liked it. Every now and then I'll put it on to try to get used to it, it never works.

Monique

LOVE it

I like the lyrics but musically its a wee bit bland.

I'm gonna kill this pretty thing :p

Btw..does anyone else think Moz places a little too much emphasis on

"He's just too good-looking..
He's just too good-looking
oh, he's just too good-looking and, and, and, and...

Have you seen him go though, ohhh-ohhhhh :D

Also in the Boy Racer video is a very young Martine McCutcheon, of Eastenders fame.

I really enjoyed the live version of this song sung on the Jools Holland show in 1995, great dancing from Mozza.

Fine song, very underrated, like the rest of Southpaw Grammar. I admit, I didn't like it either when I first heard, but now it's one of Mozzer's albums I play the most.

I adore Maladjusted, it's my actual favourite. Wide to receive and Trouble loves me - so achingly beautiful songs, I can't get enough of them! And I practically like all songs from the album. It sounds so mature, well he was almost 40 when it came out. But you know, it's just me.

Nevertheless I don't know what to do with Southpaw :( Does anyone like it?

Monique

Monique

Maladjusted in my opinion is criminally underrated. It is one of his best ever works. I don't think Morrissey himself is fond of it, which is quite baffling.

I never used to like this song much, but I recently started to listen to it again and it's superb!

"He's got too many girlfriends - I'm jealous, that's all!"

I love Morrissey most when he's at his bluntest. No cryptic metaphors here, it's just pretty much straightforward!

And that line about the urinal is brilliant!

On top of this, it's one of Alain's best compositions IMO.

Plus the video's great!!

You should join the interpretingmoz community on LiveJournal. It's full of this sort of discussion.

Back
Top Bottom