'That's How People Grow Up' - Zane Lowe Premiere...

i'm about to listen to it. i expect to be disappointed, but not surprised.

well, if that's the "hottest record in the world", today, the world's f***ed.

turgid cack.

There's a nice cowbell accent to the beat, which I think give a motorik feel to proceedings.

Kristeen's voice works well as 'Klaus Nomi' type intro....

But what's that 'wash of sound' periodically in the background?
Is it the sea? An airplane engine? A football crowd? It's not good enough fidelity to figure it out. There's also some 'voices' burbling in the background periodically. Or have I taken the wrong medication tonight? !!! Again.....Oh, no! I'm not going to start hearing 'the voices' again!

i like the live version better

You either love Jerry Finn or you loathe him. Personally, I think he takes an average song and makes it better. THPGU is what is is. It's not and never should be a single.

KY's vocals are used nicely, and I like the crunchy guitars in the beginning. I love YATQ and think Finn's production is great, so I'm biased. Honestly, I'm not sure what more you could expect from this track. It's not that strong. All You Need Is Me and Paris were far stronger, so again, it is what it is: a nicely produced b-side.

So you did rip it from your boss's CD?

I'm afraid so, he gave it to me, but I couldn't go THAT far.

I don't mind sharing info, but giving stuff away for free month in advance is not really on.
Were I an eccentric millionairre producer I'd have no problems doing it. As it is I need a degree of professionalism.

Just realise my heart is in the right place :D

I think that the song potentially could be one of Morrissey's best, if more care were taken in arranging and writing.
For example, Kristeen's introduction is fantastic, as is the accordion. However, Finn's production has made the whole thing seem thin and unimaginative - which is a far cry from the dramatic musical foundations of the actual song, which would have far suited Visconti's production skills for the heavy, dramatic kind of sound.
The chorus is my favourite part of the song, and to me sounds fundamentally like an old torch song, I could imagine Jacques Brel singing a version of this chorus! But yet again, the production skills let the song down here, with Finn's weedy production skills and total inability to RECORD AND MIX A DRUM KIT!
The bridge of the song is pretty awful - but could have been amazing with more time spent songwriting. If Morrissey and the gang had taken more time and put more effort into this song it could have been brilliant. But for now, it is sadly average.

Honestly, I'm not sure what more you could expect from this track. It's not that strong. All You Need Is Me and Paris were far stronger, so again, it is what it is: a nicely produced b-side.

I agree. Since "All you need is me" is on the GH album, I don't understand why it is not the 1st single :confused:

Is anyone brave enough to say it?

But the worst part of this song is not the bridge, not Jerry Finn's production but the LYRICS.

My gosh, although one cannot expect the lyrical pathos of 'Everyday' or 'Irish Blood' each time out the lyrics to this song are just really really really bad.

'I was driving my car, I crashed and broke my spine.' Aarrgghhhhhh!

I'm guessing Moz was going for that ironic 'Girlfriend in a Coma' kinda humour but this time around it just doesn't work.

At a pince I'd say the melody and chorus are quite nice, though like a lot of others I can understand why 'All You Need is Me' isn't the lead single for this compilation.

Is anyone brave enough to say it?

But the worst part of this song is not the bridge, not Jerry Finn's production but the LYRICS.

My gosh, although one cannot expect the lyrical pathos of 'Everyday' or 'Irish Blood' each time out the lyrics to this song are just really really really bad.

'I was driving my car, I crashed and broke my spine.' Aarrgghhhhhh!

I'm guessing Moz was going for that ironic 'Girlfriend in a Coma' kinda humour but this time around it just doesn't work.

At a pince I'd say the melody and chorus are quite nice, though like a lot of others I can understand why 'All You Need is Me' isn't the lead single for this compilation.

Yes, I mentioned that in a thread last week. I find it to be the worst lyric since the "he's only got one knee." However, we seem to be the minority. Still, it is funny. For all the bashing I've done of this song, now that I hear the final product I actually like the song's production, etc. Like I wrote earlier: it is what it is, a b-side, not a single!

Please don't tell me we're in the minority regarding the lyrical merits of this song.

Please don't tell me we're one of the few who find this a notably crinegworthy effort.

Please don't tell me that there are Moz fans out there who find the words to this song lyrical genius.

Oh hold on!! I can't get that damn chorus out of head. It's just the rest of the song I'm too embarassed to sing!!

no no I totally agree this is a really good song indeed in fact I find it more enjoyable than a lot of Smiths albums namely I'd rather listen to this 10 times in a row than the album Meat is Murder

i hear a cheesy sound effect...like a wind blowing...oh how dreadful, another Jerry Finn production.

He is destroying the song, a song that wasn't great to begin with, but definitely better before Finn touched it. Now it sounds lifeless.

I'm sick of Morrissey making these musical mistakes. He obviously doesn't care or simply lost the ability to pick up on such things.

no no I totally agree this is a really good song indeed in fact I find it more enjoyable than a lot of Smiths albums namely I'd rather listen to this 10 times in a row than the album Meat is Murder

You're being sarcastic, yes?

I think the production is irrelevant. It can enhance or detract from a song but basically it's down to the song.

I just don't understand how Morrissey can think "That's how people grow up" is an interesting, hooky enough lyric for a chorus. It says nothing. Added to that he seems to have had no ideas for the vocal melody either because he just stretches the sentence out for as long as he can and then adds a flourish at the end as if that's all you need.

You can blame other people all you want but what makes a great song is the lyric and vocal melody, and both are dull in this song.

Please don't tell me that there are Moz fans out there who find the words to this song lyrical genius.

Oh hold on!! I can't get that damn chorus out of head. It's just the rest of the song I'm too embarassed to sing!!

I don't think the song is lyrical genius. I think the chorus is very clever, and the sentiment works well, but it's not genius.
I too think 'All You Need Is Me' should have been the lead single.

But the song is going down well at work (with the non-fans), it's catchy enough to be immediately recognisable, and stick in your head for a while. Which can only be good with Radio 1 airtime.

Back
Top Bottom