'That's How People Grow Up' - Zane Lowe Premiere...

I just don't understand how Morrissey can think "That's how people grow up" is an interesting, hooky enough lyric for a chorus. It says nothing. Added to that he seems to have had no ideas for the vocal melody either because he just stretches the sentence out for as long as he can and then adds a flourish at the end as if that's all you need.

It sticks in the head easily, which I suspect a new record label would be more than happy with - especially if it's to promote a Greatest Hits.

"Let's get people humming the song and impulse-buying the Greatest Hits (where they can find some REAL treasures)."

We're gonna get a new album at some point in the year, let the record company have their say for a bit.

I don't think the song is lyrical genius. I think the chorus is very clever, and the sentiment works well, but it's not genius.
I too think 'All You Need Is Me' should have been the lead single.

But the song is going down well at work (with the non-fans), it's catchy enough to be immediately recognisable, and stick in your head for a while. Which can only be good with Radio 1 airtime.

I don't mean to beat Moz over the head with his own back catalogue, but I really do expect a bit more from him.

Afterall it's not like he has to fit his songwriting in between his 9-5 job down at the local Post Office. I'm sure if he'd scatched his head fro longer than 2 minutes he could have come up with some better lyrics than this.

You're being sarcastic, yes?

Honestly no most albums on that track are abysmal and forgettable while this track has a good message and hook...the only track on MIM that is good is Meat is Murder I cant count How Soon is Now because it wasnt originally on it. So I stand by this posistion

I don't mean to beat Moz over the head with his own back catalogue, but I really do expect a bit more from him.

Afterall it's not like he has to fit his songwriting in between his 9-5 job down at the local Post Office. I'm sure if he'd scatched his head fro longer than 2 minutes he could have come up with some better lyrics than this.

Well, let's just wait for the album before we all write him off as a senseless, irrelevant fuddy-duddy?

Maybe he's just using the catchy stuff to fill the time...

We can't all be genius all the time...look at Paul McCartney's new album :p

Honestly no most albums on that track are abysmal and forgettable while this track has a good message and hook...the only track on MIM that is good is Meat is Murder I cant count How Soon is Now because it wasnt originally on it. So I stand by this posistion

1. You're insane, my friend.

Of the new stuff..

IMO, "All You Need Is Me" is terrible. Absolutely awful.
"That's How People Grow Up" is disappointingly poor and lifeless.
"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is a very good song...

Moz could do so much better than this. Being rich and lazy does not suit him.

No one's expecting genius all the time, just a bit of Morrissey individuality.

As much as people slag "The Youngest" off, at least it had a quintessential funny/serious Morrissey line for the chorus in "there is no such thing in life as normal".

McCartney's new album is dire atrocious shite, very disappointing since I am a huge fan and I loved "Chaos & Creation"..

Prime example - 'Dance Tonight'. This is what happens when a man spends too much time counting his millions and stops putting effort into his work. Paul knows that people will buy anything he releases, even if it's rubbish like "Driving Rain" :rolleyes:

Well, let's just wait for the album before we all write him off as a senseless, irrelevant fuddy-duddy?

Maybe he's just using the catchy stuff to fill the time...

Nobody is writing him off, there are just a few of us that think the song is lyrically weak. We feel lyrically it seems like a first draft. He is so talented we are spoiled and demand lyrics which are both clever and fit with the music. No one is going to start burning CD's or boycotting the man. We just don't like the one particular lyric.

The fact that it is going over so well at your work place just confirms my notion. God only knows what my reaction would be if people where I worked actually started listening to Morrissey!:eek:

Is anyone brave enough to say it?

But the worst part of this song is not the bridge, not Jerry Finn's production but the LYRICS.

My gosh, although one cannot expect the lyrical pathos of 'Everyday' or 'Irish Blood' each time out the lyrics to this song are just really really really bad.

'I was driving my car, I crashed and broke my spine.' Aarrgghhhhhh!

I'm guessing Moz was going for that ironic 'Girlfriend in a Coma' kinda humour but this time around it just doesn't work.

At a pince I'd say the melody and chorus are quite nice, though like a lot of others I can understand why 'All You Need is Me' isn't the lead single for this compilation.

Agree. Not only are they his worst yet, they're also a rehash of 'is it really so strange' but more clumsily expressed, which would be acceptable if it was some middle of the road indie band, but it's Morrissey. People expect better from him. The song in itself is catchy enough but nothing spectacular.

Though I really like one day will be farewell and i'm throwing my arms around paris so I'm not completely pessimistic about the new album.

How are the lyrics a rehash of Is It Really So Strange? This is a song about seclusion if anything. And I really thought the lyric about being a "sunlit dream" was a really cool line.

People are insane. "All You Need Is Me" is a spectacularly rocking track, and a terrific retort to all of the evil bastards on the Internets who live to trash Morrissey. I nearly pissed myself the first time I heard it live, and I get chills when I hear it to this very second.

"That's How People Grow Up" actually speaks to those of us who are, sadly, over 30, and I'm happy to own the song in my heart and soul. Now I'll admit that "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" befuddles me, but that's obviously Morrissey's typical obfuscation. He could throw his arms around (literally) Paris [Ramada] and I'd be just as bewildered. However, he's a man of significant years, and he needn't explain it all to me. Hopefully I'll find out for myself when I'm over 40. (God, Cher, and Zeus, I pray I don't survive to see 40.)

So can all of you who don't like the new songs just DIE before the new disc drops, so we can enjoy it? I was lucky enough to be present for the debut of "Paris", and I know the beauty of ANYTHING the man produces. If you can't see it, you're better off dead, I promise you.

Take the gas pipe, sweeties, you'll be better off.

How are the lyrics a rehash of Is It Really So Strange? This is a song about seclusion if anything. And I really thought the lyric about being a "sunlit dream" was a really cool line.

I think the reference to breaking the spine is kinda similiar to some of the 'Is It Really So Strange' lyrics.

Different subject matter same kind of 'Extreme Pain as humour' device. Moz has used this kind of technique plenty of times in his career, I think John Peel may have even alluded to in The Southbank documentary, except in the case of this song there are a few of us who really don't think it works.

In fact there are a few of us who I think it's fair to say feel this is Moz in sloppy arse cruise control from whoa to go.

If you enjoy it fine, but I have heard better from Moz in the past and expect to hear better from him in the future-otherwise his back catalogue will get more of a thrashing from me than it already does!

People are insane. "All You Need Is Me" is a spectacularly rocking track, and a terrific retort to all of the evil bastards on the Internets who live to trash Morrissey. I nearly pissed myself the first time I heard it live, and I get chills when I hear it to this very second.

"That's How People Grow Up" actually speaks to those of us who are, sadly, over 30, and I'm happy to own the song in my heart and soul. Now I'll admit that "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" befuddles me, but that's obviously Morrissey's typical obfuscation. He could throw his arms around (literally) Paris [Ramada] and I'd be just as bewildered. However, he's a man of significant years, and he needn't explain it all to me. Hopefully I'll find out for myself when I'm over 40. (God, Cher, and Zeus, I pray I don't survive to see 40.)

So can all of you who don't like the new songs just DIE before the new disc drops, so we can enjoy it? I was lucky enough to be present for the debut of "Paris", and I know the beauty of ANYTHING the man produces. If you can't see it, you're better off dead, I promise you.

Goodness Adam the sheer vitriol towards anyone who dare vocalise an 'objective' view towards Morrissey's body of work takes my breath away.

I must say your kind suggestion that it would be better for me to end my own life rather than live with the disappointment of not liking M's new single was probably a point of view I hadn't previously considered.

Perhaps I shall hang on a wee bit longer and wait for the new album to come out..............it seems a tad premature to end one's life over a 7 inch don't you think?

Breath. Step away from the computer. Go get some fresh air and have a lollypop. There's a good boy.

Would you like everyone to be salivating over everything he does? Yeah that would really make for riveting debate.

Now I've been given my orders don't be surprised if you don't see any more posts from me.

Last edited:
The fact that it is going over so well at your work place just confirms my notion. God only knows what my reaction would be if people where I worked actually started listening to Morrissey!:eek:

Haha, in fairness, I work at a media company where someone is employed to listen to the new music out there - so it's not like we're a drab solicitors firm or anything :p
So the fact that people who spend their life being bombarded by 'The Next Big Thing' are actually listening to it is good news I reckon.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ringleader, for all it's faults, was a closure-album. Songs like "Dear God", "Future", "Pigsty", "At Last I Am Born"...they end the Morrissey saga in predictably resolved fashion by finally proclaiming: yes, I've found happiness! Now, what is there left?

All You Need Is Me is a reactionary song. It works on novelty, but not alot else.

That's How People Grow Up has a good sentiment that ties in well with current era Moz, but otherwise, displays clumsy songwriting and unengaging lyrics.

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris is too lyrically sparse to be credited as a song in my opinion. If you write a song about Paris, evoke the damn place, it's Paris for gods sake.

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell is probably the second best out of the bunch, but hardly a great song. Fairly peicemeal affair.

In all cases though folks, one truly startling fact remains: the music is better than the lyrics. This, from an artist of Morrissey's past calibre, is worrying.

I can't understand all the moaning, I really like this song. And while I think All You Need Is Me would have been a better single, That's How People Grow Up is by far my favourite of the four new songs. I'll definitely buy the single, but I think I'll pass the Greatest Hits album ;)

Underwhelming Morrissey release. Roys Keen was quite catchy. As was Dagenham Dave. Still its better than the Spice Girls Greatest Hits song but probably not as good as Girls Aloud

A chorus with a pleasing crescendo does not a great song make. As I've only heard one of the other new songs once I am in no position to comment on what the best single would have been. LYrically I could arguably do a better job.

(And as for someone even contemplating that this song is better than at least 8 tracks on Meat Is Murder, mescalin does work.)

Anyway noone cares about chart positions now. Do they? So the fact its got on "a" radio 1 playlist must be a small crumb of comfort. Or have whoever his record label is this week got a decent plugger/ plumber? So plenty of airplay may get this to Christmas Number One. But I doubt it.

Oh and this sweetie fixation must stop soon enough. Please.

One of Morrissey's finest solo moments, Used To Be A Sweet Boy, managed to refrain from using Sweetie. SO WHY NOW?

Back
Top Bottom