Morrissey Central "STEVE WRIGHT, RIP" (February 13, 2024)

hang-the-dj-as-worn-by-morrissey-the-smiths-t-shirt-p6090-31627_image.jpg

"Steve Wright, Annie Nightingale, Janice Long, John Peel … a generation gone. I once bumped into Steve outside Woolworths in Henley-on-Thames. He said "what the hell are YOU doing here?" and I replied "precisely." During an interview he edited out diarist when I mis-pronounced it as diary-ist … he resisted the perfect opportunity to make fun of me. He played 'I Have Forgiven Jesus' and 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' when no other radio DJ would. Great minds play the music, small minds block the music. But it's too late for compliments now. Appreciating the living is still a ludicrous concept for most people, alas. "

MORRISSEY 13 February 2024.

Related item:

M must have been in woolworths buying one of his own singles,woolies best shop ever.
the small minds block music will be hijacked by some to be pointed at the capitol bigwig.

In my first job, I was a painter and decorator, painting wooden show-home signs, in a freezing cold run-down shed in winter. The radio and radio 1 in particular, was my only friend. His show in the afternoon kept me sane and provided many a giggle. Thanks for the fun Steve.

In my first job, I was a painter and decorator, painting wooden show-home signs, in a freezing cold run-down shed in winter. The radio and radio 1 in particular, was my only friend. His show in the afternoon kept me sane and provided many a giggle. Thanks for the fun Steve.
thats when radio was worth listening to,it used to be a dj on his own playing records,now there is three or four people who are there to laugh at the presenters crap jokes,never understood that.

Sad when anyone passes of course.

BUT…

I lived the 80’s in Britain and Steve Wright show was the antithesis of John Peel and Janice Long - it was 98% banal Muzak of that era with talkovers and poor humour from him and his hangers on in the studio. It was a show you heard in garages or on engineering shop floors, aimed at Sun newspaper readers and those who were poorly educated.

Sorry but that’s how it was.

No offence to him, probably a nice chap etc but his output was banal and anti most of the things that were progressive in that era.

Moz changes with the wind, he wore a T-shirt with Wright on it with his hands in his ears at the time, seemed to actively dislike him in 80’s.

Why would they be? The host of the morning show on Zimbabwe FM isn’t going to draw much of an audience in Oslo, are they?
I’ll have you know he’s huge in Trondheim.

M must have been in woolworths buying one of his own singles,woolies best shop ever.
the small minds block music will be hijacked by some to be pointed at the capitol bigwig.

Probably.

Although it doesn't really matter since he sounds as if he's given up on his career in his lifetime. Central has made things as bad as they possibly can be without physically harming him.

Can't help but wonder if there are 2 pointed comments - one about small minds blocking music and the other about appreciating the living?
It is shameful that England's greatest living artist can't get a record deal.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom