Some things from the latest Q magazine

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Mark E Smith interview...
Q - "We'd like to see a Manchester supergroup. You. Morrissey. New Order. The Gallaghers. Jason Orange dancing...

Mark E Smith - "There is a f***ing supergroup. There's three bass players (New Order's Peter Hook, The Smiths' Andy Rourke , Primal Scream's Mani) and they're calling themselves...Free Bass! I mean, I f***ing ask you...Free Bass! Is that the state of music in Manchester these days?"

Review of Inside The Smiths...
INSIDE THE SMITHS (Tib Street Films)
2 out of 5 stars
FORMER DRUMMER AND BASSIST TELL THEIR TALE
Any attempt to tell the story of Manchester's most adored indie quartet is packed with promise. But deprived of Morrissey, Johnny Marr or archive footage, all Inside The Smiths gives you is Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, two pleasant but anonymous guys rushing through the surface of their story, interspersed with a few perfunctory Smiths tributes from the likes of Kaiser Chiefs and Mark E Smith. As former junkie Rourke hangs out with a Smiths tribute band and hopes for a highly unlikely Smiths reunion, all we learn is that, when great bands split, the stars move on while the blokes at the back simply can't.
Review by Gary Mulholland

By the way, I've seen the film several times now and I can't agree with the reviewer's unkind words.

Finally - don't forget to vote for Moz in this year's Q Awards (which don't appear to be on the website yet. You can vote for him in 7 out of the nine categories - Best Track, Best Live Asct, Best Album, Best Video, Best Act In The World Today, Lifetime Achievement Award and Insipration Award. You know how he likes winning things...

Peter

Peter
I agree - having also seen a preview copy, where does Andy hang out with a tribute band? He doesn't. Knob.

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom