So...What Now? What Will He Do Next?

Hi Eldrich
Being a fan of his records I guess I approached it with the familiarity of a fan.
His writing to me reads like a natural extension of his lyric writing.
What did you think of Autobiography?

I liked Autobiography. Even though it had many of the same flaws -- the dense and overwritten flowery prose --, it was still interesting because it was about Morrissey and other real people. But in List Of The Lost he failed to create believable fictional characters and a credible fictional world. I have studied literary criticism and work as an editor of Finnish fiction, so I practically read for a living.

Actually I think pop lyrics suit Morrissey's gifts perfectly, because the song gives the words strict limits. He has to be exact and brief in his wording, because you can't cram too much stuff in a three minute pop song. But on a blank page he has no limits and therefore he ends up writing monstrous sentences that go on for half a page or more. A friend of mine, a professional translator and a huge Morrissey fan, translated Autobiography to Finnish and was totally at loss with many sentences in it. After some research and consulting other people he realized that there are many expressions in that book which actually don't mean anything. They are just bad and unclear writing. Which is of course understandable, because the book wasn't edited at all. And then of course Morrissey didn't allow the translations to be published, so all that work was in vain. Although of course he got paid by the publisher.

I liked Autobiography. Even though it had many of the same flaws -- the dense and overwritten flowery prose --, it was still interesting because it was about Morrissey and other real people.

I'm not sure it did have many of the same flaws. But it was different, because it wasn't a novel. It was maybe as much as 80% non-fiction.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that he's going to abandon the "LIHS" era and mope for awhile. It's really too soon but the failure of "Jacky" and his thorough lashing by the press makes me concerned for his mindset. Now before you chirp out "he only has his self to blame" I will preempt that by saying he has a right to his opinions even if they stray from the liberal playbook (Don't misunderstand me. The right is definitely wrong) and the critical reviews of the album were mostly depressing and off topic. He is rightfully very proud of the art he created and anyone would be dismayed by the personal attacks that permeate through seemingly every allegedly "album review".

So what's the next move? I would advise him to give a couple interviews that include his clarifying or actually "correcting" the impressions of his controversial remarks followed by a new single and video ahead of the tour. That would be the smart move but well, you know......
The failure of Jacky? It's still a good song. He has concerts lined up and imho LIHS is a very good album. I would say his next move is the same as his last move: tour, try to record a new album in a couple of years. Some people hated LIHS but I know a lot of people who really liked it. Ok his sales aren't great but that's the same for a lot of artists these days, in an era where everyone is busy getting excited by the next Brittany Spears concert. Moz isn't doing half bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom