What should Steve Morrissey do next?

What should Steve do next?

• Release the 6 unrecorded songs on a deluxe edition of LIHSD

• Record another 4 (or more) songs to make up a completely new album

• Go out on tour again to promote the current album

• Take some time off (a year or more)

• Retire

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for time off, but that won't matter. He has always been one to move forward rather than tread water. A shame because if he could just have tread water during his most popular period when he had EDILS and Suedehead playing on MTV even for just a few years he might have made it into today's public consciousness.

Interesting how he mentioned The Beatles and I believe the Rolling Stones as two of his favorite ten artists who took the stage where he recently played. Well, he should have ripped a page from their playbook if he wanted to leave a more lasting impression on today's youth. I can claim witness that every twenty-something I work with has no idea who he is or that he was relevant at one point. Most music today is created to be placed upon advertisements to sell product (see Imagine Dragons Believer.) I really liked this song until I saw it over an Apple advert.

To be completely honest, his popular music days are behind him, no fifty-something artist is going to be relevant to the youth of their time, nor should they be. His music lies buried in the sand only to be found with the help of a well healed guide, or an internet map that leads one to the pot of gold only to be replaced in its spot for the next lucky treasure hunter to find.

Last edited:
I voted for time off, but that won't matter. He has always been one to move forward rather than tread water. A shame because if he could just have tread water during his most popular period when he had EDILS and Suedehead playing on MTV even for just a few years he might have made it into today's public consciousness.

Interesting how he mentioned The Beatles and I believe the Rolling Stones as two of his favorite ten artists who took the stage where he recently played. Well, he should have ripped a page from their playbook if he wanted to leave a more lasting impression on today's youth. I can claim witness that every twenty-something I work with has no idea who he is or that he was relevant at one point. Most music today is created to be placed upon advertisements to sell product (see Imagine Dragons Believer.) I really liked this song until I saw it over an Apple advert.

To be completely honest, his popular music days are behind him, no fifty-something artist is going to be relevant to the youth of their time, nor should they be. His music lies buried in the sand only to be found with the help of a well healed guide, or an internet map that leads one to the pot of gold only to be replaced in its spot for the next lucky treasure hunter to find.

Morrissey is a cult indie act and always has been. He's as well known among a young indie crowd now as he was 20 years ago (tons of under 30s at the recent UK shows). He's as anonymous among a young non-indie crowd now as he was 20 years ago. Spent the Day in Bed was a big radio hit, so the largest number of people since First of the Gang know a recent song of his. For cult acts, it's irrelevant whether the singer is 30, 50 or 70 something. Blondie had their biggest success for 25 years last year with Debbie harry into her 70s.
EDILS, Suedehead and Playboys' success was because they were amazing songs written by Stephen Street - still a highlight of the shows 30 years on. Why on earth would treading water after those have boosted his success? Losing Stephen Street meant he lost his last songwriter with a consistently magical touch. If he'd spent the 90s knocking out songs of that quality with Stephen Street, things would have been very different.

And where did I say that I was talking about only the internet?

Even if you were to only look at the musical side of things, take a look at the space given to the reviews for Maladjusted and LIHS in Q magazine. Going from memory, Maladjusted was given a review that was about 3 inches long. LIHS, on the other hand, was given a full page review with, I think, a full page photo as well.

Kind of them to devote 2 pages to an album if they didn't "give a f***" about it. :lbf:

Where did I say you were on about the internet? I was talking about the internet as a selling tool, that everything is given space as the news machine is a hungry beast.
What is this obsesson with sales, why is the current moz crowd buying inoo their heros most base shallow leanings ?
Firstly this tour ' his most successful ever british tour' is not his most successful British tour. He played, how many gigs about 8 at most?
He wasn't as washed out in the 90s like people claim, Jesus he sold out wembly arena during the Kill Uncle years, he nearly always sold out shows in the 90s and he would tour up and down the country - from Scotland to Cornwall
Without the internet he sold MSG in record time, in fact he did it without smart phones and press , he caused carnage just by showing up. The guy could cause a stir simply by being himself.
It's wroth remembering also in the 90s moz had competition and still held his own. Oasis , suede, blur, Verve, Pulp, nirvana, pearl jam, Jane's addiction on and om.
These days the party's over there is hardly anyone left at the party. It's easy to be the big one.
Jesus even Bowies dead, moz has it all on a plate at the moment
But still he has to lower himself to be more and more offensive. For the sake of sales he has sold himself out. To cater to the mexican audience he has nearly killed his own music
Whats more who the f*** likes Arena gigs anyway? Any half decent music fan knows arena gigs are for mugs. Moz knows it, as a fan he hates them.
The 90s were great as he could sell big gigs but he prefered small venues the chemistry between him and audience was beautiful now it's the occasional quite good show surrounded by phoned in performance and emotionless audience. I know he's not as young as he used to be and, can't do as many shows. But part of me thinks the worse part of his persubally is winning out, he is now like oasis or one of those acts, it's all about male ego, size of crowd. It wasnt always like that. He was always competitive but he was competitive in the right way
This UK arena tour wasnt an arena tour anyway, none of the London shows were arena shows, Brighton arena is basically small, it's mainly the Irish gig and Northern gigs that were arena and I'm not sure even all of them were proper arenas.
I wish him success but shit the bed, the fact that people are buying into all this most successful Britsh tour BS is a sign of how dumb is fans are. Things really are Trump like in moz world these days, the man and his fans
I think today's fan just doesn't know the magic that was the pre 2000 morrissey. I'm sorry to say it and it sounds like I'm am on man whining on but it's truei f you think his gigs come even a third as close to what they where, you are very wrong.
As for the two page reviews, he did get them, he did get those for Your Arse, for instance, he got a double page review in Select and was widely talked about, the reason it wasnt discussed as much in the dailys was down to the dailys not really taking an interest as much them in any music, it was very much everyone in its place. They do it now to mop up the space left by the fall of the music press but even then he could get front page on the weekend supplements

Morrissey is a cult indie act and always has been. He's as well known among a young indie crowd now as he was 20 years ago (tons of under 30s at the recent UK shows). He's as anonymous among a young non-indie crowd now as he was 20 years ago. Spent the Day in Bed was a big radio hit, so the largest number of people since First of the Gang know a recent song of his. For cult acts, it's irrelevant whether the singer is 30, 50 or 70 something. Blondie had their biggest success for 25 years last year with Debbie harry into her 70s.
EDILS, Suedehead and Playboys' success was because they were amazing songs written by Stephen Street - still a highlight of the shows 30 years on. Why on earth would treading water after those have boosted his success? Losing Stephen Street meant he lost his last songwriter with a consistently magical touch. If he'd spent the 90s knocking out songs of that quality with Stephen Street, things would have been very different.

And this is exactly the point I was trying to make. I cannot even fathom trying to compare Spent The Day in Bed to any of the other masterpieces mentioned in your post so I will leave that herculean task for others.

REM was an anonymous Rock Indie band relegated to college radio back in my day as were The Smiths, but they left a mark on popular music much wider and deeper although maybe more here in the US. REM was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, while The Smiths may or may not make it. Not that this means anything really and definitely not to open a can of worms, but to think for one minute that Morrissey and Marr weren't or still aren't very competitive is to overlook much of what has been reported about them especially here.

Good for him enticing the UK youth in with songs off of LIHS. I hold no grudges (unlike certain people I know) just stating my opinion of his current state of affairs from my vantage point. It's just that being a cult indie act while at the same time staying relevant in the music of the day are not always mutually exclusive. In fact, he was in the overlap back in the 90s.

Last edited:
Where did I say you were on about the internet? I was talking about the internet as a selling tool, that everything is given space as the news machine is a hungry beast.
What is this obsesson with sales, why is the current moz crowd buying inoo their heros most base shallow leanings ?
Firstly this tour ' his most successful ever british tour' is not his most successful British tour. He played, how many gigs about 8 at most?
He wasn't as washed out in the 90s like people claim, Jesus he sold out wembly arena during the Kill Uncle years, he nearly always sold out shows in the 90s and he would tour up and down the country - from Scotland to Cornwall
Without the internet he sold MSG in record time, in fact he did it without smart phones and press , he caused carnage just by showing up. The guy could cause a stir simply by being himself.
It's wroth remembering also in the 90s moz had competition and still held his own. Oasis , suede, blur, Verve, Pulp, nirvana, pearl jam, Jane's addiction on and om.
These days the party's over there is hardly anyone left at the party. It's easy to be the big one.
Jesus even Bowies dead, moz has it all on a plate at the moment
But still he has to lower himself to be more and more offensive. For the sake of sales he has sold himself out. To cater to the mexican audience he has nearly killed his own music
Whats more who the f*** likes Arena gigs anyway? Any half decent music fan knows arena gigs are for mugs. Moz knows it, as a fan he hates them.
The 90s were great as he could sell big gigs but he prefered small venues the chemistry between him and audience was beautiful now it's the occasional quite good show surrounded by phoned in performance and emotionless audience. I know he's not as young as he used to be and, can't do as many shows. But part of me thinks the worse part of his persubally is winning out, he is now like oasis or one of those acts, it's all about male ego, size of crowd. It wasnt always like that. He was always competitive but he was competitive in the right way
This UK arena tour wasnt an arena tour anyway, none of the London shows were arena shows, Brighton arena is basically small, it's mainly the Irish gig and Northern gigs that were arena and I'm not sure even all of them were proper arenas.
I wish him success but shit the bed, the fact that people are buying into all this most successful Britsh tour BS is a sign of how dumb is fans are. Things really are Trump like in moz world these days, the man and his fans
I think today's fan just doesn't know the magic that was the pre 2000 morrissey. I'm sorry to say it and it sounds like I'm am on man whining on but it's truei f you think his gigs come even a third as close to what they where, you are very wrong.
As for the two page reviews, he did get them, he did get those for Your Arse, for instance, he got a double page review in Select and was widely talked about, the reason it wasnt discussed as much in the dailys was down to the dailys not really taking an interest as much them in any music, it was very much everyone in its place. They do it now to mop up the space left by the fall of the music press but even then he could get front page on the weekend supplements

I don't think anyone has ever questioned how popular Morrissey was in 1991/2 have they?

And I was there pre-2000, that's why I mentioned what things were like in 1997 and beyond.

Well he could start by telling the world and Betty Dwyer just what role Diesel actually plays in the shadows of his master in my opinion.:eek::brows:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Oh I forgot to add !
SACK THE 4KIN BAND as well.

I worry about the unreleased songs that people seem so excited about. There's a reason they weren't first pick to get on the album and there's a fair bit of bilge already on that, imho. I'm with Benny on this - sack the band and get new collaborators, and who knows what he could do with his last roll of the dice.

My top scenario would be an album of collaborations with multiple writers: Richard Hawley springs to mind, the camp theatricality of Rufus Wainwright would be very interesting, Noel G as a super-fan likewise, Damien Dempsey there's already been talk of (believe it when I see it, though) and maybe even that Johnny Marr bloke. I don't think this would ever happen as his need for absolute autonomy doesn't make him a natural collaborator, but I can dream.

Hi Peppermint.
Your kind words over the boards have not gone unnoticed. Like x23 :thumbsup::handfist:
If I may add one to your list above it would be my latest flame at the moment, a duet with Laura Pergolizzi (written by her and her band obviously )

Hi Peppermint.
Your kind words over the boards have not gone unnoticed. Like x23 :thumbsup::handfist:
If I may add one to your list above it would be my latest flame at the moment, a duet with Laura Pergolizzi (written by her and her band obviously )

Hi Benny, I didn't know Laura but have done a bit of digging around and I agree she'd be an interesting choice for our forthcoming Morrissey reboot album. Sign her up!

Well he could start by telling the world and Betty Dwyer just what role Diesel actually plays in the shadows of his master in my opinion.:eek::brows:

Well, I think that what people do with their ugly bits is their own business, so his coyness on this issue does not bother me. But I do think it's laughable (and quite unforgiveable) the way Damon has to walk six paces behind at all times. The Legend film premiere (where he wore the strange half-mast trousers and no shirt) which left Damon loitering awkwardly in the background, pretending to be nothing to do with Morrissey while he posed on the red carpet, was farcical. Every time I see them together it reminds me of that heartbreaking drama about Frankie Howerd (with David Walliams), who continually tested the loyalty of his devoted, long-suffering lover/manager Dennis Heymer and went to great lengths to hide him from the public.

Anyway, I can't believe Betty doesn't know, if we can work it out from a few fuzzy photos and assorted wobbly phonecam footage in airports. Unless you're privy to inside information? :brows:

Last edited:
Do a few more uk shows, the Lowry, Manchester, the Eden, Cornwall and St Georges Hall, Liverpool would all be good choices.

Do a few more uk shows, the Lowry, Manchester, the Eden, Cornwall and St Georges Hall, Liverpool would all be good choices.

Eden project is a good shout actually but I imagine his 'brand' doesn't currently fit in with their modus operandi.
Would definitely like him to play smaller venues, the Palladium gig was positively incendiary. Also more British or even European seaside towns on Saturdays.

Alternatively he could replace Ant McPartlin or whatever he's called on Saturday Night TV. No danger of Moz getting pulled over (perhaps pulled off) as Damon is always Des the carrybag man on their nights out.

Eden project is a good shout actually but I imagine his 'brand' doesn't currently fit in with their modus operandi.
Would definitely like him to play smaller venues, the Palladium gig was positively incendiary. Also more British or even European seaside towns on Saturdays.

Alternatively he could replace Ant McPartlin or whatever he's called on Saturday Night TV. No danger of Moz getting pulled over (perhaps pulled off) as Damon is always Des the carrybag man on their nights out.
Not sure it's what you intended, Bluebirds, but that reads like Moz is in danger of being pulled off by Damon on a night out :eek:
He'd be great on Saturday Night Takeaway, though. Moz and Dec :lbf:

Last edited:
Regardless of exactly what he does do next, I hope he does something soon.

Was it before LIHS that he said he had two albums worth of songs? Well he certainly has a two album deal anyway.

I am just surprised we haven't seen the 'b-side' type LIHS tracks yet in some form... Weird how they were discussing the difficulty in dropping certain tracks and then using live covers as b-sides.

Go out on Tour of course!
Most of the World haven’t seen him tour this tremendous album yet.

Work harder on the thrombosis. Those clogs won't move from the leg to the heart by themselves. Keep clocking them air miles man.

Back
Top Bottom