Saint In A Stained Glass Window (live) - Unofficial lyrics video

Sweet! (y)

Yep, great effort with the vid, smiler, thanks (y). Wasn't sure about this track when I first heard it, but it's growing on me big time.
Probably one of the better tracks I've listened to from the elusive Bonfire album. Still a bit unsure about that slide guitar though, seems a bit wrong in places, but that could be down to it being a live version.

Nice visuals - though shouldn't it be 'prayed to' rather than 'prayed too'.

in the song lyrics....who is the saint? and then he's talking to jesus? or jesus is the saint?

Not to say that he wasn’t saintly, I didn’t think jesus would fall under that category. But according to the internet, some do and some don’t categorize jesus as a saint.

Though it is possible that Morrissey is referring to a particular unnamed saint and also jesus at the end. Or maybe it’s not important to Morrissey, as it seems to be, to mention any one particular saint.

Not to say that he wasn’t saintly, I didn’t think jesus would fall under that category. But according to the internet, some do and some don’t categorize jesus as a saint.

Though it is possible that Morrissey is referring to a particular unnamed saint and also jesus at the end. Or maybe it’s not important to Morrissey, as it seems to be, to mention any one particular saint.
Sometimes I read the part about the "you are a saint in a stained glass window" as being a sarcastic dig. Though the video is more literal.

Sometimes I read the part about the "you are a saint in a stained glass window" as being a sarcastic dig. Though the video is more literal.
I think he suggested in a interview that the saint was his mother, who having recently passed has metaphorically been canonized at last - These days when he prays he talks with her and he worships her in death as he did in life.

hmmm, I didn’t. But the first line, was interesting.. ‘you were made to be prayed to
I thought could have been a dig of sorts.

What do you or anyone make of these two lines? I’m not really sure what’s being said ….

For you are a saint in a stained glass window

I call on your mercy

For you have a soul that cannot be bought with money

I’ve had such a hard time

waiting my turn

I’ll be nobody till the day I burn

So don’t pick on me

I know nothing comes next

But now I’m too drained to protest

Oh, Jesus let me die

?

Also when he sings ‘waiting my turn’ does he mean his turn to die? Or his turn to be loved ?

And the line ‘I’ll be nobody till the day I burn’ does he mean, he’ll be no one until he is martyred and becomes a saint himself?

I think he suggested in a interview that the saint was his mother, who having recently passed has metaphorically been canonized at last - These days when he prays he talks with her and he worships her in death as he did in life.

The last interview with Sam?

and she faced being butchered? and
her soul cannot be bought with money ?

hmmm, I didn’t. But the first line, was interesting.. ‘you were made to be prayed to

What do you or anyone make of these two lines? I’m not really sure what’s being said ….

I call on your mercy

waiting my turn

So don’t pick on me

Oh, Jesus let me die

?

Also when he sings ‘waiting my turn’ does he mean his turn to die? Or his turn to be loved ?

And the line ‘I’ll be nobody till the day I burn’ does he mean, he’ll be no one until he is martyred and becomes a saint himself?
I like your interpretations - I think he's begging to die in the midst of grief. He knows there is nothing next (no after life not heaven) he's been waiting his turn (to die) and he's asking not to be picked on because going on is torturous, he needs to rest. Who is he singing too and about? - sometimes his mom sometimes himself sometimes god. The holy trinity.

The last interview with Sam?

and she faced being butchered? and
her soul cannot be bought with money ?
Yes the last interview with Sam

"butchered" in inverted commas - as in butchered by the press - torn apart
She never sold her soul - never sold out - had intergrity

I call on your mercy

waiting my turn

So don’t pick on me

Oh, Jesus let me die

?

My first thought was "burn" in hell and "turn" to die. I did consider "burn" as in cremated afterwards, but I think hell fits better.

I call on your mercy

waiting my turn

So don’t pick on me

Oh, Jesus let me die

?

Now this is a good song. Steve is a special man. I love him.

I like your interpretations - I think he's begging to die in the midst of grief. He knows there is nothing next (no after life not heaven)

Yes this is what I thought at first.

But for a Catholic to say that there is no heaven, isn’t that a very atheistic statement
to make ?

It’s very contrary, to believe in a jesus figure, then claim that there is no heaven.

he's been waiting his turn (to die) and he's asking not to be picked on because going on is torturous, he needs to rest. Who is he singing too and about? - sometimes his mom sometimes himself sometimes god. The holy trinity.

Yes, thought as much, makes sense, just trying to get other’s takes on it.

But for a Catholic to say that there is no heaven, isn’t that a very atheistic statement
to make ?

It’s very contrary, to believe in a jesus figure, then claim that there is no heaven.
I'm not sure Morrissey would consider himself a Catholic.

Raised as one, yes. But I don't think he has any belief in organised religion anymore, if he ever did.

to make ?

Yes, thought as much, makes sense, just trying to get other’s takes on it.
Maybe nothing happens next....means he prays for something and gets nothing.

Back
Top Bottom