Poll: Boy Scouts: Ban or Permit?

Should I let my son join Boy Scouts even though I object to their rules?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you. :) I know it sounds very granola-ish, but being vegetarian is almost a spiritual thing for me. It's an ongoing decision, it makes me more mindful of what I eat and whether it's helping my body or hurting it. I could eat a bit of fish now and then, or "cheat" by not reading labels carefully, but I choose not to. Every time I make that choice again, it makes me feel stronger morally and physically.
yeah, I totally get that! I know you need drugs to get better, and I'd never suggest you stopped them, but a good, wholesome diet really can help your body to heal too :) I don't eat much meat at them moment, which is more about money than anything else, but even though I enjoy meat, I never forget how good vegetables can taste!

And I'd like to remind you all that the subject of this site agrees with me. Completely. If he was here it would be my comments he would make.
FACT.

Morrissey isn't married, and doesn't have children, and neither do you (so you've said). It's much easier in some ways to be responsible only for yourself. You can make decisions about how to live your life and you probably don't have to compromise in any way. It's not always like that when you are married.

I think the main problem in the reactions you're causing is that you're attacking the way we are raising our children. That's the surest way to get someone angry with you. Every thinking parent is doing his or her best. It's not a nice or easy world to be raising children in.

Hey, why don't you resurrect the breastfeeding thread? I'd like to hear your stance on that. (I'm serious.) It's closely tied to the vegetarian issue, but with sticky entanglements with feminist thinking.

I expect nothing more from a child, and I'm not interested in your comments.

If you're not interested in our comments, why are you reading and responding to them?

If you're not interested in our comments, why are you reading and responding to them?

Its like crack - it cannot help itself.

i would never dismiss a person for eating meat or not eating meat,i think it is a personal choice, and seeing how i do not have children i would not even begin to complain about how someone raises their child, even if i did have children,i would worry about how i cared for my child not someone else's.

I just have to hope if i get married and have children, that my wife would also be a vegan like myself ( or at least a vegetarian) ,or it could be a tough marriage.:p

i would never dismiss a person for eating meat or not eating meat,i think it is a personal choice, and seeing how i do not have children i would not even begin to complain about how someone raises their child, even if i did have children,i would worry about how i cared for my child not someone else's.

I just have to hope if i get married and have children, that my wife would also be a vegan like myself ( or at least a vegetarian) ,or it could be a tough marriage.:p

My wife would have to be Heterosexual.

Helen, you expect too much from people. They have no interest in what you say because it means they are wrong.
And they ARE wrong.

man, i can really smell the blood in the water, cant you guys?
love0057.gif

i should stop reading this thread now :eek:

Helen, you expect too much from people. They have no interest in what you say because it means they are wrong.
And they ARE wrong.

There is NO Right or Wrong about eating meat. You sound like a frickin' vego-nazi!

Morrissey isn't married, and doesn't have children, and neither do you (so you've said). It's much easier in some ways to be responsible only for yourself. You can make decisions about how to live your life and you probably don't have to compromise in any way. It's not always like that when you are married.

I think the main problem in the reactions you're causing is that you're attacking the way we are raising our children. That's the surest way to get someone angry with you. Every thinking parent is doing his or her best. It's not a nice or easy world to be raising children in.

Hey, why don't you resurrect the breastfeeding thread? I'd like to hear your stance on that. (I'm serious.) It's closely tied to the vegetarian issue, but with sticky entanglements with feminist thinking.
exactly. I don't have a child (yet ;) ) but I know what it's liek to bring up children, as a couple and alone. It's a bloody hard job, which is why I don't have any, and these sorts of issues are just some of those you face which help your children to decide thier beliefs. My parents both eat meat, though my mother isn't bothered about it, because it's easier for my mum to prepare one main meal in the evening that 2. I was brought up eating meat, but both of my parents' supported my decision to stop eating it when I was old enough to make up my mind, and they supported me again when I started eating meat again. My best friend, who was a single mum of 2, ate meat because she wanted her children to eat it until they were old enough to decide if they wanted to or not, but she knew her daugheter's 'vegetarian' phase was coming up, and was looking forward to it. When you're a parent, you do your damn best to make sure they get hwat they need, and you learn to make sacrifices.

yeah, I totally get that! I know you need drugs to get better, and I'd never suggest you stopped them, but a good, wholesome diet really can help your body to heal too :) I don't eat much meat at them moment, which is more about money than anything else, but even though I enjoy meat, I never forget how good vegetables can taste!

Thanks- four months down, two more to go. I have chemo every other week, and it's surprisingly not as bad as I had feared. I'm doing well, a scan a month ago showed great progress. Totally bald though. :(

Even though my kids eat some meat, and I wish they didn't choose to, I'm shocked and pleased when I see how much better their diet is than most of their peers. I didn't think I was all that strict about junk food, but apparently I am a saint compared to most parents around here. Kids are really picky eaters, at times, it's hard to get them to eat anything half the time. But my fridge is full of fruit and vegetables and I don't buy lots of cookies, chips, or soft drinks. We're doing well. :)

marriage is about give and take though: I accept my husband doesn't eat lamb or aubergines, and if I want something with either of those things, I make him something else. he accepts if he brings a pineapple into the house, he peels and eats it outside, or sees me throw up :D

And they ARE wrong.

This is what Morrissey said about it on TTY:

One thing I admire you for is your dedication to animals, giving a voice to those who have none. What advice would you give someone who is struggling to convert to the vegetarian lifestyle?
Debbie
Hayward, California, USA

I tell people to take it gradually. You don't need to become a model of human perfection overnight. But if it's morally within a person to avoid 'flesh food' then nothing need be explained to them. Eating animals is obviously very cruel, and you either want to avoid inflicting pain on another living being, or else you don't much care. The argument has nothing at all to do with how flesh tastes, or the myth of protein, or personal budget, or alternatives, or being macho. If you eat animals you surely hate them ... if you respect or love animals you could never eat them. It's that simple.

The problem is that it's not that simple. Eating meat is the cultural norm, here even more than in England.

Helen still hasn't offered any advice on the "carnivore daddy" issue. What am I supposed to do about that? They're not solely my children.

How did this turn from a thread about The Boy Scouts into Veganazism?

marriage is about give and take though: I accept my husband doesn't eat lamb or aubergines, and if I want something with either of those things, I make him something else. he accepts if he brings a pineapple into the house, he peels and eats it outside, or sees me throw up :D

i am just thinking more about the children aspect,i can gladly date and even marry a meat eater,i have cooked and served meat for girlfriends many times before.i can go to places that serve meat,i do not freak out, like i always say, its a personal choice.
i am just thinking of when two parents,one that eats meat and one that does not, and how they decide on how to raise the child, must be tough.

This is what Morrissey said about it on TTY:

The problem is that it's not that simple. Eating meat is the cultural norm, here even more than in England.

Helen still hasn't offered any advice on the "carnivore daddy" issue. What am I supposed to do about that? They're not solely my children.

Helen and Moztour think we should all Seig Heil to Der Moz-Fuhrer!

Thanks- four months down, two more to go. I have chemo every other week, and it's surprisingly not as bad as I had feared. I'm doing well, a scan a month ago showed great progress. Totally bald though. :(

Even though my kids eat some meat, and I wish they didn't choose to, I'm shocked and pleased when I see how much better their diet is than most of their peers. I didn't think I was all that strict about junk food, but apparently I am a saint compared to most parents around here. Kids are really picky eaters, at times, it's hard to get them to eat anything half the time. But my fridge is full of fruit and vegetables and I don't buy lots of cookies, chips, or soft drinks. We're doing well. :)
Cheamo is a funny thing, there's so many different types and your body reacts in so many different ways! Glad it's not hit you too hard :)
I know how depressing it is to loose all your hair, it truely sucks, but my best friend's first lot of treatment finished, her hair grew back thicker, glossier and fuller than it ever had before! I know a few people who have said the same, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. So glad your scans are looking good :)

i am just thinking more about the children aspect,i can gladly date and even marry a meat eater,i have cooked and served meat for girlfriends many times before.i can go to places that serve meat,i do not freak out, like i always say, its a personal choice.
i am just thinking of when two parents,one that eats meat and one that does not, and how they decide on how to raise the child, must be tough.

Probably tougher than a mixed religious marriage. Not as tough as a Heterosexual-Homosexual marriage though :eek:

Back
Top Bottom