Oscars 2009: Kate Winslet and the late Heath Ledger lead Academy nominations

I am a Ghost

I thought Winslet had two "Golden Globes" already...

The nominations for the 81st annual Academy Awards were announced today.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a drama adapted from a F Scott Fitzgerald story in which Brad Pitt plays a man who ages backward, led the field of Oscar contenders with 13 nominations.

Slumdog Millionaire, the tale of an impoverished orphan's improbable victory on an Indian television game show, followed with 10, while the Batman sequel The Dark Knight and the gay-rights saga Milk each landed eight.

Surprisingly, Kate Winslet was nominated for Best Actress In A Leading Role for The Reader, but not in Revolutionary Road.

Just two weeks ago, Winslet picked up two Golden Globes for both films, but her gong for Revolutionary Road for a leading role.

Her husband Sam Mendes, who directed Revolutionary Road, was snubbed a Best Director nod, as well as her co-star Leonardo DiCaprio.

The Reading-born actress has been nominated five times before, but has always gone home empty-handed.

The nominations were announced at 5.38am local time in Los Angeles by actor Forest Whitaker, who won an Oscar two years ago for Last King Of Scotland.

The Oscar winners will be announced at a ceremony in Hollywood on February 22.

The full list of nominations is as follows:

Best Motion Picture

Slumdog Millionaire

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Reader

Best Actress In A Leading Role

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

Angelina Jolie - The Changeling

Melissa Leo - Frozen River

Kate Winslet - The Reader

Meryl Streep - Doubt

Best Actor In A Leading Role

Mickey Rourke- The Wrestler

Frank Langhella - Frost/Nixon

Sean Penn - Milk

Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Actress In A Supporting Role

Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Viola Davis - Doubt

Taraiji P Henson - the Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Amy Adams - Doubt

Best Actor In A Supporting Role

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt

Josh Brolin - Milk

Robert Downey Jr - Tropic Thunder

Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Achievement in Directing

Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

David Fincher - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Ron Howard - Froxt/Nixon

Gus Van Sant - Milk

Stephen Daldry - The Reader

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Wall-E

Bolt

King-Fu Panda

Best Foreign Language Film

The Baader Meinhof Complex (Germany)

The Class (France)

Departures (Japan)

Revanche (Austria)

Waltz With Bashir (Israel)

Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire

Eric Roth - The Curious Case of Benjamin button

John Patrick Shanley - Doubt

Peter Morgan - Frost/Nixon

David Hare - The Reader

Best Writing (Original Screenplay)

Courtney Hunt -Frozen River

Mike Leigh - Happy Go Lucky

Martin McDonagh - In Bruges

Dustin Lance Black - Milk

Andrew Stanton - Wall-E

Best Art Direction

James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis - Changeling

Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando - The Dark Knight

Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway - The Duchess

Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt -Revolutionary Road

Best Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)

WALL-E - "Down to Earth"
Slumdog Millionaire - "Jai Ho"
Slumdog Millionaire - "O Saya"

Best Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat
Defiance - James Newton Howard
Milk - Danny Elfman
Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman
WALL-E - Thomas Newman

I love The Dark Knight movie and hope it wins loads! Heath Ledger was awesome in that movie. btw it's the aniversary of his death today. R.I.P Heath Ledger :tears: I would like to go see Slumdog Millionare, it looks a good one. :)

Sister Rose, you can edit your earlier post, but if you're trying to increase your post count which is fine.

Again, Jewish people dominate the industry, Kate Winslet seems to win best actress.

If I could vote I'd choose Melissa Leo who is fantastic in 21 grams and Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

*edit*
Very please to find that Japanese film Departures is nominated for best foreign language film. :)
However, French film The Class should be the winner.

Last edited:
Sister Rose, you can edit your earlier post, but if you're trying to increase your post count which is fine.

Again, Jews dominate the industry, Kate Winslet seems to win best actress.

If I could vote I'd choose Melissa Leo who is fantastic in 21 grams and Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Please tell me Jews is somebody's name.

Again, Jewish people dominate the industry, Kate Winslet seems to win best actress.

*edit*
Very please to find that Japanese film Departures is nominated for best foreign language film. :)
However, French film The Class should be the winner.

Thanks Kewpie :)

Well. What I was implyin with my previous post is that this comment is anti-semitic. Do you think it's okay? Because I don't.

On a second note, what does it have to do with anything anyway???

Well. What I was implyin with my previous post is that this comment is anti-semitic. Do you think it's okay? Because I don't.

Schindler's List, The Pianist, Sophie's Choice etc many films about WWII and holocaust won the awards because the industry is run by Jewish people.

About 15 years ago I read article of a Japanese woman who married to a Jewish American writer who is a member of the Academy.
She claimed that the industry had the tendency to nominate holocaust related films and voted them.
In Ricky Gervais' Extras Kate Winslet mentioned about it, at Golden Glove celemony few weeks ago Ricky joked about it.

Last edited:
Sindler's List, The Pianist, Sophie's Choice etc many films about WWII and holocaust won the awards because the industry is run by Jewish people.

It's Schindler's List. And I'm not commenting on the rest of your post.

don't worry Tom Cruise tries to kill Hitler in Valkyrie!

I am not sure....but Hollywood should be scared of those 'gays':p

I don't think that really has anything to do with it Kewpie. There is a large amount of Jewish people in the entertainment industry, but it doesn't have anything to do with who wins an Academy Awards and who doesn't.

I don't think what you said was antisemetic, however.

Milk is the best of a pretty mediocre bunch this year. I hope Melissa Leo wins the Best Female Lead, but it seems unlikely.

Tags
heath = eternal goddess melissa leo ftw!!!
Back
Top Bottom