NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Stephen Street" - Morrissey mentions (March 4, 2021)

Stephen-Street-Braincells-image--800x504.jpg

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a musician on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: legendary record producer Stephen Street

Relevant part:

Who is credited as singing backing vocals on The Smiths album ‘The Queen Is Dead’?

“Um – Ann Coates?”

CORRECT.

“Which is Morrissey’s vocal put through a harmoniser.” (Laughs)

The pseudonym is a pun on the Manchester area Ancoats. You engineered The Smiths’ ‘Meat is Murder’ and ‘The Queen Is Dead’, before taking over as producer for their final record ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’, where there are stories that while Moz was in bed tucked up with a Sylvia Plath, Johnny Marr and the rest of the musicians would be covering Spinal Tap songs…

“That only happened during one session! (Laughs) Johnny was a night-owl so sometimes we’d work late. There was no messing around in the studio, but that was the one night we let our hair down – Andy [Rourke] knew all the basslines to Spinal Tap songs and would play them at the drop of a hat.”

You produced Morrissey’s 1988 debut solo record ‘Viva Hate’, then fell out over a royalty dispute. When did you last speak to him?

“I wrote to him 10 years ago and he was surprised to hear from me. When they first received my letter, his management asked: ‘Is this a legal letter and should we get our solicitors involved?’ (Laughs) But it was just a friendly letter asking how he was. We met in [London hotel] Claridge’s and I got involved in the reissue of ‘Viva Hate’. But he had it remastered again and took off the song ‘The Ordinary Boys’. When I disagreed with what he’d done, I was incommunicado again. There’s been the occasional little email, but I’ve not heard from him properly since.”

Would you produce another of his records if he asked?

“Yeah, I think so. It’s well-documented that he’s said some dubious things in recent years, but because of our long-term past relationship – The Smiths gave me my first big break – I feel a certain loyalty to him so if he asked, I would be interested.”

And

In 2019 you became a full-time member of the indie band Bradford, who formed in 1987. But on which Morrissey single does a cover of Bradford’s ‘Skin Storm’ appear as the B-side?

“Boy oh boy!. That’s after my involvement with him. Is it something from the album ‘Your Arsenal’?”

WRONG. It’s ‘Pregnant for the Last Time’.

“A great record. I’m not doing very well!” (Laughs)

Why did you decide to join Bradford now?

“Because there’s no pressure on us to tour in a transit van and do the things younger bands do. They were on my label back in the late 1980s, and when I heard what they were up to, I wanted to get involved. The main thing was I wanted [their] songs to see the light of day and the easiest way to achieve that was to join the team. I think we’ll remain a studio-based project.”

(see also: Question 9)

Regards,
FWD.

shoplifterromo also sends the link:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lbf:

of course the twats would want all want to work with Moz again. Its the only time they ever made money:lbf:
but too late Moz has Boz to coordinate stuff. (y)

Yeah, Street's career went completely down the pan in the 90s didn't it

I would love it if Moz were to take the hint and work with Street again, many of Morrissey's best songs were written with and produced by Street.

I would love it if Moz were to take the hint and work with Street again, many of Morrissey's best songs were written with and produced by Street.
Agreed, viva hate and bona drag are some of his best work, I think it would look good for Moz in regards to public perception if there was another street produced album, maybe it could be his final farewell album who knows

View attachment 69274

This week: legendary record producer Stephen Street

Yes he’s a legendary producer, BUT HE’S ALSO co-writer to one of the best albums ever recorded in the history of music. Unmentioned and underrated is the role he has played as a song writer, why does this always skip the medias/journalists attention. Weird.

before taking over as producer for their final record ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’, where there are stories that while Moz was in bed tucked up with a Sylvia Plath,

Really I never read ‘these stories’
:rolleyes: Oh yes, Plath, Morrissey ‘pope of mope’ yawn.
Johnny Marr and the rest of the musicians would be covering Spinal Tap songs…

That only happened during one session! (Laughs)

Don’t say that Stephen! You’ll ruin the image that it was only the band and not Morrissey that had a sense of humor and enjoyed having fun.

You produced Morrissey’s 1988 debut solo record ‘Viva Hate’,

Yes, BUT HE’S ALSO co-writer on that album, one of the best albums ever recorded in the history of music.

Would you produce another of his records if he asked?

“Yeah, I think so. It’s well-documented

:lbf::rolleyes:
that he’s said some dubious things

:ahhh::drama::lbf::rolleyes:
in recent years, but because of our long-term past relationship – The Smiths gave me my first big break – I feel a certain loyalty to him so if he asked, I would be interested.”

you kidding us? :lbf:

And

In 2019 you became a full-time member of the indie band Bradford, who formed in 1987. But on which Morrissey single does a cover of Bradford’s ‘Skin Storm’ appear as the B-side?

Boy oh boy!.

:unsure:

Yeah, Street's career went completely down the pan in the 90s didn't it

Yes, well, if you don’t like the work he’s done with other artists after Viva Hate, etc then I can see how one would say that.

What’s amazing is, after co-writing with one of the best lyricists in town, he didn’t really pursue that avenue.

Strange.

Yes, well, if you don’t like the work he’s done with other artists after Viva Hate, etc then I can see how one would say that.

What’s amazing is, after co-writing with one of the best lyricists in town, he didn’t really pursue that avenue.
Strange.
Maybe he could co-write with one of the best lyricists in town once more, I doubt he stopped writing songs entirely in the last 30 years ;)

Maybe he could co-write with one of the best lyricists in town once more, I doubt he stopped writing songs entirely in the last 30 years ;)

Isn’t he co-writing with Bradford or
is he only involved in playing and producing?

In regards to Street being ‘interested’ in working with Morrissey again? Well, when Morrissey says jump! Stephen will ask, how high?

:p

That should trigger a few on here.

Imagine this previously untested trio: Moz, Street and Whyte. Imagine them collaborating and co-writing. Imagine the pop songs. Imagine the hits.

Imagine this previously untested trio: Moz, Street and Whyte. Imagine them collaborating and co-writing. Imagine the pop songs. Imagine the hits.

True, Alain has also expressed interest in working with Moz again. So if Morrissey wants to make another album, he'd better pick up that dreaded cellphone and start calling his pals. Probably his best chance of getting his last recording contract too.

True, Alain has also expressed interest in working with Moz again. So if Morrissey wants to make another album, he'd better pick up that dreaded cellphone and start calling his pals. Probably his best chance of getting his last recording contract too.
And what an album that could be. The missing link between VH and V&I. Crystal clear guitar based pop songs and Morrissey-esque ballads in minor, with some tasteful electronics thrown in for good measure. No world music, no plodding, pretentious compositions courtesy of Gustavo, no mean-spirited lyrics or boring politics. Just warmth, passion and melancholia.

A boy can dream, can’t he?

I propose: Morrissey joining The Libertines as their singer. Or The Libertines becoming Morrissey's band. Stephen Street to conduct. Oh yes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom