My question is: Do any members here claim Born Again Christianity as their faith?

"Oh Mary, conceived without sin, Pray for us who have recourse to thee."

I really like that. The idea of being able to ask the Mother of God to intervene on your behalf is really cool.

Dave said:
"Oh Mary, conceived without sin, Pray for us who have recourse to thee."

I really like that. The idea of being able to ask the Mother of God to intervene on your behalf is really cool.

That sounds very well and good but it is totally unbiblical.

1 Timothy 2

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

apart from all of the shananegans created by fellow members- yes, i am a born again christian. i don't go to church because i can't stand the people there, and i don't think singing off-key while wearing a long skirt every sunday makes me holy. that's pretty much all i have to say. yep, that's it.

There was a girl in my school (aged 16) and she was born again Christian. My question is how can someone young claim to be born again? Don't you have to go through some ordeal to be born again?

Denia said:
apart from all of the shananegans created by fellow members- yes, i am a born again christian. i don't go to church because i can't stand the people there, and i don't think singing off-key while wearing a long skirt every sunday makes me holy. that's pretty much all i have to say. yep, that's it.

You should read "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis.
Very short read.
It's a simple book, but it helps put broad, vague topics into some type of perspective, especially for young Christians.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060652934/103-0968565-2455049?v=glance&n=283155

It's basically a book of short letters from one 'devil' to his nephew (also a devil). Their job is to tempt a human, and the uncle is giving his nephew advice on how to do so. Very entertaining, even if you aren't religious.
The part about 'the other people in Church' is interesting, and how you, the church-goer, feels about them.
As well as the reason for going to Church in the first place.

Amazon.com
Who among us has never wondered if there might not really be a tempter sitting on our shoulders or dogging our steps? C.S. Lewis dispels all doubts. In The Screwtape Letters, one of his bestselling works, we are made privy to the instructional correspondence between a senior demon, Screwtape, and his wannabe diabolical nephew Wormwood. As mentor, Screwtape coaches Wormwood in the finer points, tempting his "patient" away from God.

Each letter is a masterpiece of reverse theology, giving the reader an inside look at the thinking and means of temptation. Tempters, according to Lewis, have two motives: the first is fear of punishment, the second a hunger to consume or dominate other beings. On the other hand, the goal of the Creator is to woo us unto himself or to transform us through his love from "tools into servants and servants into sons." It is the dichotomy between being consumed and subsumed completely into another's identity or being liberated to be utterly ourselves that Lewis explores with his razor-sharp insight and wit.

The most brilliant feature of The Screwtape Letters may be likening hell to a bureaucracy in which "everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment." We all understand bureaucracies, be it the Department of Motor Vehicles, the IRS, or one of our own making. So we each understand the temptations that slowly lure us into hell. If you've never read Lewis, The Screwtape Letters is a great place to start. And if you know Lewis, but haven't read this, you've missed one of his core writings. --Patricia Klein

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
dazzak said:
There was a girl in my school (aged 16) and she was born again Christian. My question is how can someone young claim to be born again? Don't you have to go through some ordeal to be born again?

No sir, you do not have to go through an ordeal to be born again. Simply, to be "Born Again" or "Born from Above" is simply recognizing the fact the Jesus is "atonement" (payment) for our debt to God for the sins (transgressions against God) that we committed.

There is no age too young to be Born Again. One just needs to be mature enough to understand the concept of right and wrong and what sin is. A common term is the "age of accountability." Age of accountability refers to the time when individuals become mature enough to be morally responsible for their acts and consciously responsive to God's grace.

dazzak said:

No, you don't have to go through some ordeal to be born again, though some people have. Some have a revelation or their life is altered by an event i.e. having a child, marriage, or death of a loved one. Some may have simply been deeply moved by attending a church service.

All it is in a nutshell is a spiritual rebirth. This is simply done in prayer:

"Father, I thank You that Jesus died for me. I confess I have broken Your laws. Forgive my sins. I receive the pardon right now. Lord Jesus, come into my life. Give me a new heart with new desires. And by Your Spirit, give me the power to live a life that is pleasing to You. Thank you for forgiving me as You promised. Thank You for the gift of eternal Iife."

Why the term "Born-Again Christian' then?

Wouldn't simply being Christian imply that you are 'born again' in that spiritual sense?

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
That sounds very well and good but it is totally unbiblical.

1 Timothy 2
Yes, Jesus Christ is the sole mediator between God and man. And any subordinate form of mediation derives its meaning and sole efficacy from and through Our Lord himself.

Let's look at the verse, in context:

1 I desire therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men: 2 For kings, and for all that are in high station: that we may lead a quiet and a peaceable life in all piety and chastity. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Realize what Paul is saying. He exhorts us to pray "for all men, for kings and all who are in high places". What is it to pray for someone other than to be their mediator? Why must we pray for others? Verse 3: "this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour". And why, exactly, is that? Verse 4: "[God] will have all men to be saved". Do you see the connection here between intercessory prayer (verses 1&2), and its ability towards the salvation of souls (verse 4)? How can this be? Verse 5: "For there is... one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus"

And this is the way we are to understand the intercessory role of the Blessed Mother. Further, "the continual prayer of a just man (or woman - the Greek is gender-inclusive) availeth much" (James 5:16). What creature could be more just than she-who-was-full-of-grace? For this reason we ask Our Lady to pray for and with us.

After all, Mary's life was one of mediation to Christ. Who gave birth to Him? Who spoke "and the baby leapt for joy" (was sanctified) in Elizabeths womb? Who was the mediator who presented Him to the temple (and thus to the world)? Who asked the first miracle of Jesus, which He duly performed even after saying that His hour has not yet come? "Do whatever He tells you", were her last recorded words in the Bible.

ad Jesum per Mariam ("To Jesus through Mary")

pietahi3.jpg

dallow_bg said:

Wouldn't simply being Christian imply that you are 'born again' in that spiritual sense?

You are correct..it is a redundancy. But many people consider themselves "christian" just because they live in a "Christian" country, or because they attend a church, or because their parents were...a myriad of reasons, so I guess it became "popular" to use the term "Born Again Christian' to differentiate with the others who simply "attend" without having the "relationship."

Polls show that something like 90% of Americans claim to be christian, but only 10% or so claim a "relationship", so many call themselves Christian who don't really know what it means.

Hitler claimed to be Christian. Was he? I think not, but maybe before he blew his own head off he may have had an "awakening." Though that seems unlikely. But that is another topic best left for elsewhere.

Do I " " too much?

dallow_bg said:

Well, that's the arguement among the faithful. If you are a Christian, meaning baptized by water and later baptized by fire (spiritually), read your bible, say your prayers, be good to your dog, will God spare you from eternal damnation? What about everyone else who follows the laws of God, but are not Christian?

Alot of this "born again" movement oversimplifies and in a way, distorts people's expectations and their view of themselves as if they can see themselves in the eyes of God. If God is Spirit, then the argument can be made that man is not in control of his spirit: God is. A person cannot proclaim to be born again. Only God can make you born again. Those that proclaim that they are born again are pretty much on the same boat as all us other poor saps; at the mercy of God's will.

But, I'm not the type to start an argument. ;)

Codreanu said:
You are absolutely right, Puddle! Provided the crucifix around her neck isn't a mere accessory, and she is of ruthless Faith. And it really helps if she rejects the heritage of the Enlightenment in toto, attends only the Tridentine Mass, can recite Pius IX's Syllabus in her sleep, mumbles cryptically about Satan, Freemasons, and Jewish Naturalism, and burns books in her spare time. *sigh*

Or maybe it's just me. ;)

Arch-Traditional Catholic Goth Girl
gothicmantilla1ho4.jpg
Gee whiz Cod, have to tell you the Catholics almost did me in.
Glad I'm not in with them anymore. Can't say I find anything less romantic
than my memories of brainwashing in the confessional, but hey, that's just me.
A site I find most amusing these days is:- www.datejesus.com
Go on, check it out!

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
I do...just curious if any others do.

Read my user title for my view - say no more. No, say plenty more - for a start, I don't believe that you were 'just curious' at all.

As a strong atheist, i think that you posted the seemingly harmless question in a bid to peddle your medieval and anachronistic theology on the forum. I don't have the time now to challenge in detail why I'm against you doing that but - to quote a phrase - I'll be back.

Some might say (to coin another) that it's a free country/world and free speech is to be lauded; others might say, keep it to an appropriate forum.

You're a dying breed, mate - debate to be continued....

Wild Oscar said:
Read my user title for my view - say no more. No, say plenty more - for a start, I don't believe that you were 'just curious' at all.

As a strong atheist, i think that you posted the seemingly harmless question in a bid to peddle your medieval and anachronistic theology on the forum. I don't have the time now to challenge in detail why I'm against you doing that but - to quote a phrase - I'll be back.

Some might say (to coin another) that it's a free country/world and free speech is to be lauded; others might say, keep it to an appropriate forum.

some might say, you do the same, mR. born again atheist......Im sure theres an appropriate forum, somewhere.....

Wild Oscar said:
As a strong atheist, i think that you posted the seemingly harmless question in a bid to peddle your medieval and anachronistic theology on the forum.
Sir, you may think anything you like, but have I tried to peddle anything? The most I have done is attempt a few responses to other's comment.
Even if I had considered trying to peddle my theology, this is far from the ideal place to do so.
My reason for posting the question was, in the event someone did answer in the affirmative, to possibly strike up a conversation with said person about said topic and how it may or may not relate to forums such as these and other things. For instance, a thought among "believers" is that all that one does should be done to give glory to God; can/does listening to Morrissey give glory to God; and to "come out from among them and be ye separate", to not partake of worldly things"; am I involving my self too much in things not of God by enjoying worldly music.

I am sometimes conflicted about music. I like music, but to say that all music gives glory to God would be a joke. I would possibly forgo "secular" music if there were Christian music that was more appealing. There is some, but most, even the so called contemporary christian music is a load of rubbish, it isn't even good music and there is no real christian message in it and is just a new cash cow for the record companies. I actually prefer some of the old Hymns...they tell a story that fits with my belief. I like some of Johnny Cash's spiritual songs and when Elvis did some gospel stuff. But I also like Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus". It isn't a Christian song, but if I change a couple of words as I sing along, it becomes one to me. As with numerous other songs by other groups.

My point was to possibly ask someone ...Do you have a conflict also? How do you deal with it? etc etc.

My God isn't as tyrannical as many think and He isn't wishing that any should perish and "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

May I ask you, since you voiced yourself, what do you believe in?

I have no ill will to you, my Morrissey brother, and not trying to make an argument, just replying. :)

Pervomartovtsi said:
I was a long time into the sacred holy roman catholic church(etc)...now i'm agnostic

Steven Colbert says an agnostic is just an athiest without balls...I'm not, I just thought is was funny.

zom

Wild Oscar said:

Touchy touchy.
How's that for close-mindedness.

We were all having a good time here, with a variety of responses, and a few jokes here and there.
Leave this forum, I don't even care if you are a Moz fan.

Last edited:
dallow_bg said:
Touchy touchy.
How's that for close-mindedness.
Funny though that his user name and avatar should be a modification of someone who not only displayed a lifelong fascination with Catholicism, but experienced a dramatic deathbed conversion (and may, even now, be w/ his Lord in heaven).

ROME UNVISITED

I.

The corn has turned from grey to red,
Since first my spirit wandered forth
From the drear cities of the north,
And to Italia's mountains fled.

And here I set my face towards home,
For all my pilgrimage is done,
Although, methinks, yon blood-red sun
Marshals the way to Holy Rome.

O Blessed Lady, who dost hold
Upon the seven hills thy reign!
O Mother without blot or stain,
Crowned with bright crowns of triple gold!

O Roma, Roma, at thy feet
I lay this barren gift of song!
For, ah! the way is steep and long
That leads unto thy sacred street.

II.

And yet what joy it were for me
To turn my feet unto the south,
And journeying towards the Tiber mouth
To kneel again at Fiesole!

And wandering through the tangled pines
That break the gold of Arno's stream,
To see the purple mist and gleam
Of morning on the Apennines

By many a vineyard-hidden home,
Orchard and olive-garden grey,
Till from the drear Campagna's way
The seven hills bear up the dome!

III.

A pilgrim from the northern seas -
What joy for me to seek alone
The wondrous temple and the throne
Of him who holds the awful keys!

When, bright with purple and with gold
Come priest and holy cardinal,
And borne above the heads of all
The gentle Shepherd of the Fold.

O joy to see before I die
The only God-anointed king,
And hear the silver trumpets ring
A triumph as he passes by!

Or at the brazen-pillared shrine
Holds high the mystic sacrifice,
And shows his God to human eyes
Beneath the veil of bread and wine.

IV.

For lo, what changes time can bring!
The cycles of revolving years
May free my heart from all its fears,
And teach my lips a song to sing.

Before yon field of trembling gold
Is garnered into dusty sheaves,
Or ere the autumn's scarlet leaves
Flutter as birds adown the wold,

I may have run the glorious race,
And caught the torch while yet aflame,
And called upon the holy name
Of Him who now doth hide His face.

--Oscar Wilde

The Long Conversion of Oscar Wilde

a great book: The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde by Joseph Pearce

Codreanu said:
Funny though that his user name and avatar should be a modification of someone who not only displayed a lifelong fascination with Catholicism, but experienced a dramatic deathbed conversion (and may, even now, be w/ his Lord in heaven).

Hehe, that didn't hit me until the morning, I should have caught that right away.

dallow_bg said:
Hehe, that didn't hit me until the morning, I should have caught that right away.

Cod must have been reading my mind...:)

zom

Back
Top Bottom