Moz live: What was your first time like?

morrissey_girl18 said:
I saw Morrissey for the first time in Dublin last April it was unbelievable! I was totally star struck by the whole experience. He truely is amazing. :)

I also went to see him in Marley Park which was again an unforgettable show, he really knew how to keep the crowd entertained but their were a few idiots in the crowd shouting "Morrissey is a fag" which I tried to ignore because I kind of felt sorry for them if their lives are that sad that they need to go to concerts to shout abuse at the performer to make themselves feel more superior!! :mad:

My only wish now would be to see The Smiths but that looks to be very unlikely! :(

OMG,i cant believe they were actually there!(i mean idiots). i cant imagine idiots around Moz but still....there were idiots in the first row at "my gig" also!
i saw him recently and i would just say: completely beautiful.

I've noticed his audience is quite polite and quiet, but there are stupid guys everywhere. Sometimes insecure people really need to insult to feel stronger and sometimes "It seems in vogue to be a closet misogynist homophobe" :p (Tori Amos, "Pancake"). There are for example a lot of homophobic coarse men who simply have got repressed homosexual instinct :rolleyes:.As to Smiths, I really hope that in the future we'll travel in time by time-machine :).

Having not been allowed to go to the Smiths when they played Newcastle (strict parents) i had to wait until the Wembley gig in '91. Can't remember too much of the gig, as it went so fast, but my notes tell me i wa particularly impressed with the version of Mute Witness played, particularly when Moz lay in front of the drum riser, legs up and akimbo, with Boz playing the guitar in between them! I do remember being very impressed by the band, but then again i'm a sucker for quiffs and a double bass!

swiss said:
Chester Northgate Arena 1997 - very short uk tour promoting Malajusted. The arena was nothing more than a sports hall with a capacity of around 800 tops. It was all standing and obtaining a ticket in those lean years was pretty easy. From memory it was a short set (14 ish songs) which lasted around an hour.
It was a good gig although the experience has been beaten since (Blackburn 2002 with no record deal was for me the best set list he has played live)
this was also my first time!! as i recall it was absolutely appaulling sound on the night...unfortunately i was so over excitied i had far too much to drink beforehand so dont remeber a whole lot about it. i was gutted! since then ive made up for it many many times over- i love moz gigs for the sheer fact that everybody there LOVES morrissey, (not like going to see many new bands where people are there for the pose) theres an amazing atmosphere, people want to talk to each other, and lately...barry horne too!

Tilburg in 1999. I thought he would never come to Holland (I became a fan in 1992)and I can still remember the butterflies in my stomach when I read he would come and play here. I was at the ticket office at 3 o'clock in the morning, I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to get a ticket, only to find out later it wasn't even sold out!

For me the concert was just magical, even though with hindsight I realise that the sound wasn't great and the crowd was rather subdued. To be fair, so was I, but I was just overwhelmed with the thought that I was there, actually seeing Morrissey in front of me, no more than about 5 meters away! It was awesome!

But Amsterdam this year was even better!

Ry Vita said:
I was 15, and shit my pants for weeks before the gig in 1991 at the Stadium in Dublin. Got thete and watched with my jaw to the floor for 1 hour and twenty minutes and have not looked back.

Just wanted to post that the National Stadium in '91 was also my first time seeing Moz.

It's still possibly the greatest atmosphere at a gig i've ever witnessed. The support was an irish band called the Would Be's (Stephen Street had produced their EPs, so i think that was their connection to Moz - Peel was also a big Would Be's fan). Halfway through their set the seated crowd rushed for the front of the stage. Seats went everywhere, some people got injured, security freaked out, not knowing how to handle the situation. I remember the lead singer from the Would Be's asking everyone to calm down - she looked completely shocked. Moz and band were brill that night. It was the first gig since Wolverhampton and the anticipation was electric. Totally nuts really. Bought a tape of the gig the following day and still listen to it - prefer it to the three official live releases.

Actually queuing for the tickets weeks earlier outside HMV on Grafton St. Dublin was also nuts. The days before credit cards! Loads of people travelled from all over Ireland and the UK to queue for the tix. A huge queue formed overnight around Chatham Street. Brilliant fun and at the time seemed as much fun and almost as memorable as the gig itself. Almost...

My first time was 20 Dec 2004 in Dublin, had been a fan of smiths & morrissey for about 4 years, and yet ones kept saying that we were just the YATQ fans! which pissed me off greatly, Anyways saw him twice this year, not a bad moment in it at all for me. Just hoping he tours again soon with more of his older songs.:)

Shauna

November 5th 2002 Brixton Academy

"Good Evening, ruthless people!"

I think I might have told this story before so apologies if I bore people, I just never tire of retelling it!

I was 17, had just started sixth form, and had just discovered morrissey as a solo artist after becoming obsessed with the smiths in year 9. The gig was hardly advertised but myself and two friends bought tickets, legged it out of school as soon as we could and caught a train to london. i got served in a pub for the first time (i was at the local grammar and we wore suits as sixth formers, so maybe that did the trick in london, it had never worked in colchester before!) 3 pints of guinness and then onto the academy. Saw the Libertines, which was good as I had already bought a single of theirs, and was impressed enough to rush out to buy up the bracket the day after the gig. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end as the crowd waited for moz's entry, the morrissey football chant was amazing, it felt like we were going to war, I will never forget the sense of anticipation and excitement. The lights dimmed and John Betjeman's 'A Child Ill' began, then the bells, then, at last, Moz strode on. I remember clapping so hard, clapping to say thankyou for everything he had given me I suppose. He opened with 'I Want The One I Can't Have' and we were away, I was completely enraptured.

It was the first time I realised that a concert or gig could be an event not just a performance.

Since then I have seen him 4 more times, and had to suffer much abuse from people who thought I was a fickle You Are The Quarry fan. I must be one of the only people to become interested in Moz in 2002, he was hardly even mentioned in the press then! Part of the excitment was entering this secret world of devoted and diehard fans, it felt like joining the most exclusive club in the world. Since then he has been terrific everytime I've seen him, but I don't think I will ever quite experience what I did on that tuesday in November.I still have the ticket stub!

Anyone at that gig have any memories to share?

My first time was in Helsinki in 1997. I took a train from Turku to go there and the whole trip felt totally unreal. The gig wasn't sold-out so there was lots of room at the venue, which was an old ice-hockey arena. At first I was feeling a little cold and alone, because I didn't know anybody there, but when Moz and the band came on stage I was jumping and cheering like a loonie. It was absolutely fantastic! After the gig I walked to see a few friends in some party but could hardly discuss anything with them because my mind was still in the concert... :) Much later I read in the papers that the gig was hardly one of his best and that the people were kind of cold on him (I didn't notice!) and it made me sad. It took 9 years for Mozzer to come back here and now we've managed to make it up to him :D

er, well...lets see. If you must know, I guess I'd describe my first time as sort of ackward, intimidating, embarassing, confusing and scary.

Oh Wait!! I misread read the qustion. Sorry.

My first Mozza concert was great!

my first show was Boulder 91... had loved the music, but never got a chance to see him live. I bought a 200.00 piece of shit car and drove from Albuquerque to Boulder and got there to be 6th in line. Waited all day met a bunch of great people, and at some point got up just to walk around, ended up walking around to the back of the venue to see Moz walking towrds the venue, he reached out and shook my hand...I didn't even know what to think. The show was amazing as I am sure some of you have heard from the bootleg. During the show Moz came to the front of the stage and was shaking people's hands, and the asshat next to me tried to steal Moz' ring, without thinking I elbowed the tosser in the face and he let go, but then Moz looked at me and grabbed my hand and held on to it through sister I'm a poet...(I will finish the story later for now back to work)

the smiths - feb. 1986 at The Queen's University of Belfast (Whitla Hall)...

f***in' amazing. i lost my shoe, though. i was 14, you know.

Last edited:
I have such nice memory of that.... my first show was Cologne on October 13th 1999. I had been a fan for only eight months but had been all consumed by Morrissey. When he walked on stage it took me about 15 minutes to grasp the fact that he was actually alive. He was really there!

I saw four further shows that week and I recall catching about 20 hours of sleep in eight nights... but I was fine, filled up with adrenaline that kept me going.

I've made it to 42 shows meanwhile but the first row of shows remain the ones that left the most emotional impression. Possibly the most exciting time of my life.

I first got into the Smiths about three years ago and then Morrissey's solo work and obviously iv been hooked and had a ,some would say, unhealthy obsession with the Smiths and Mozza.

Anyway I first saw Moz at this year's V festival and i thought it was breathtaking. We ended up going to the mainstage very early and we got right to the front so we couldnt be bothered moving, infact we ended up standing for about 7 hours and suffered some right shite such as Hard-fi but Moz was worth it. I was singing along like mad man for every song and yelling things like "I love you Morrissey!" and "Morrissey your god!" between songs. It may have been the best night of my life.

Last edited:
I first saw Moz at this year's V festival and i thought it was breathtaking. I was in the second row and I was singing like mad man for every song. It may have been the best time of my life.

bless

Back
Top Bottom