Morrissey's walking towards you. What do you do?

Morrissey's walking towards you. What do you do?

• Turn around and walk the other way

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Avoid eye-contact and walk silently by

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Look at him but say nothing as you walk past

• Make eye-contact, nod silently and keep moving.

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Say "Hi Morrissey" (or Moz) and keep walking.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Offer a greeting and put out your hand for a shake

Votes: 46 46.9%
  • Offer a greeting and go for a hug

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Throw your arms around him unannounced

• Make some other more-involved sexual move on him

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A scenario similar to this one did happen to me.

I had contemplated this situation since the age of thirteen and I had no doubt that if it happened I would casually say hello to Moz and have a very relaxed conversation with him. As it happens, when I did spot him, outside the Mandarin Hotel in Knightsbridge, I was delivering wine to the hotel and I was carrying a case of wine costing several thousand pounds on my shoulder. I spotted him as he was about to jump in a black cab, yelled his name then ran towards the cab, which Moz had hurriedly jumped into, no doubt alarmed at the psychotic Glaswegian with a case of wine hurrying towards him. I got to the cab just after he got in and the cabbie hurriedly locked the door, which I attempted to pull open whilst repeatedly shouting at Moz "I've got to meet you, got to shake your hand!" He looked at me rather cooly in my state of obvious agitation, then got out of the cab, shook my hand and spoke to me for a few minutes on the street. I was too stunned to say much more than "You don't know what this means to me!" over and over.

He then got back in the taxi and they drove away, whilst I stood on the street and watched them go with a huge smile on my face. And a case of very expensive wine still on my shoulder.

I wouldn't do what I did in 2002 when I met him for the first time, which is to thank him for the last 13 years of my life, and tell him I love him.

Although his response of "I know", followed by the signature Moz bow and warm handshake was great.

I grabbed his upper arm too firmly and babbled my thanks and said some silly things, and he was very kind...but all the time in the back of my head I was thinking 'let go of his arm, let go of his arm'.

As I live in Manchester I dream that one day it will happen, especialy as I frequent book shops, which I know he does.

I'd probably say Wonderful Woman is a really under rated song.

Something that will let him know I'm a real fan.

Beam shyly at him.
Approach him. "Excuse me. Sir. Please do."
Nod. "This is for you." as I swipe something and run.

I would say - "I'm not the fan you think i am".

Ok, it was an attempt.

As Morrissey fans I think we should all stop, shake his hand and say "i am a very big fan" and "thank you for putting out such great music" . Maybe even say your name as you shake his hand to make it more personal. Seems simple and appreciative. Then off we go.

I'd offer a greeting and shake his hand. I'd thank him for everything - especially for making life more bearable and pleasant. I KNOW that I would cry. Not hysterically, but I wouldn't be able to stop the tears from falling from the sides of my eyes. I would be so emotionally moved and thankful that I'd most likely ASK for a hug...and after all was said and done and he was gone, I'd have a huge melt down.

I think we all have fantasies of having conversations with him. I'd love to talk art, old movies (including old Hollywood), and James Dean with him. Even have a good debate. But, I'd have to get past that first meeting!

i wouldn't explain in words what he means to me, because i'm sure he already knows how i and everybody else feels. if i got the chance to hug him, i would plant a kiss on his cheek or (swoon) his neck and try to slip my phone number in his back pocket. this thread has convinced me to write a letter to morrissey that includes my phone number to carry on my person from now on in case this ever happens.

I would say hello and if possible shake his hand and thank him for all the great songs !! i did meet Johnny Marr once and he thanked me for being a Smithsfan and shake my hand !! :)

Id be one big emotional wreck! and if he did by any chance see me he'd probobly think im completely insane and run away. But on a serious note I would walk up to him and thank him for all that hes done.

i would say Hello, Mr Morrissey, give a shake hand, and trying to hug him by permission :p and then i start to be dramatic in tears

I would kick his ass for releasing yet another greatest hits album.

He's in Dublin right now, so I'd invite him for a jar or four.

(I'm in Manchester though)

Be quick, he's still out and about!

Last edited:
I'd go for the handshake, but I'd have to say something moderately profound too. I ran into Jarvis Cocker recently and I think he appreciated the short but sweet approach; no photo, or autograph, just a handshake and a quick conversation. He seemed rather touched by my love of his music. I think Moz would have a pretty similar reaction, but I guess, like anyone, you have to catch them on a good day.

I would simply place my hands on his face, kiss him and cry hysterically.

Back
Top Bottom