Morrissey vs The Cure in the press

I seem to recall reading both of 'em talkin' smack many moons ago. Anyone got any good quotes?
912711997_l.gif

The quote was "The Cure give a new dimension to the word 'crap'"!

But Moz has softened recently. Most recent quote was that he doesn't hate the Cure and appreciates that Ronald Smith is an original singer/songwriter.
But he was far less generous in the 80's.
Smith has always slagged off Moz and the Smiths ("Morrissey says meat is murder so I eat more meat") and continues to do so which makes Moz seem a more magnanimous figure.
Smith reckons there's a music business conspiracy to make the Smiths/Moz to be far more important/influential than they actually were. He told this to journalist Zoe Williams without realising that she was the world's biggest Moz fan!

He also accused Moz of being fake. He claimed to have seen a secret photo of Moz by the swimming pool in his speedoes reading a paper; a far cry from the miserabilist persona he flogs to the masses.
What Smith didn't realise was that Moz put this 'secret' photo on the cover of the Tomorrow single!

Moz recently said about Robert Smith "I am not crazy about him but I don't mind him, he cuts out an original figure"

Most recent quote was that he doesn't hate the Cure and appreciates that Ronald Smith is an original singer/songwriter.

Ronald Smith may well be... but what about Robert? :p

He told this to journalist Zoe Williams without realising that she was the world's biggest Moz fan!
He also accused Moz of being fake. He claimed to have seen a secret photo of Moz by the swimming pool in his speedoes reading a paper; a far cry from the miserabilist persona he flogs to the masses.

LMAO, put his foot in it in spectacular style then..

Why would a photo of Moz reading a newspaper in speedoes betray a "miserabilist" persona? Can unhappy people not do that? God, that Bobert Smith does talk some shit... guess it's better that they've called some sort of truce though. The mud-slinging was beginning to get boring.

What Smith didn't realise was that Moz put this 'secret' photo on the cover of the Tomorrow single!
:D Moz is always one step ahead of those who would criticise...

To which Robert Smith replied "At least The Cure just add a new dimension to it...and haven't tried to build a career out of it"...

Very funny

Ronald Smith may well be... but what about Robert? :p

I think that may well be the proper quote. Isn't it just Moz playing around with people's names like he always does? Some people say he does it to be derogatory, like when he was up for the icon award and named his fellow nominees as 'Paul McCartload' and 'David Fattenborough', but I think he does it to everyone when he's in a playful mood.
While we're on the subject of names, I've often wondered how we would view Moz if he'd have conducted his entire career as Steven. If he turned around tomorrow and said 'I'm sick of just Morrissey and want to be known as Steven Morrissey', how would people feel? Would he become less iconic?

Anyways, didn't Moz also follow that bit about not hating Robert Smith with something along the lines of: "The Cure must be doing something right to remain so influential after 20 years"?

But Moz has softened recently. Most recent quote was that he doesn't hate the Cure and appreciates that Ronald Smith is an original singer/songwriter.
But he was far less generous in the 80's.
Smith has always slagged off Moz and the Smiths ("Morrissey says meat is murder so I eat more meat") and continues to do so which makes Moz seem a more magnanimous figure.
Smith reckons there's a music business conspiracy to make the Smiths/Moz to be far more important/influential than they actually were. He told this to journalist Zoe Williams without realising that she was the world's biggest Moz fan!

:D Has it never occured to you that, if he had actually said that, Robert Smith was most probably joking? :rolleyes:

....... 'I'm sick of just Morrissey and want to be known as Steven Morrissey', how would people feel? Would he become less iconic?

I like this thought... We, in fact everyone would still just call him Mozz, because everyone talks about him through thir computers and we're all too lazy to type Stephen Morrissey all the time! Hell, most of us are too lazy to type Morrissey ....... ;)

And we would all think of him as Morrissey too, I expect.

I like this thought... We, in fact everyone would still just call him Mozz, because everyone talks about him through thir computers and we're all too lazy to type Stephen Morrissey all the time! Hell, most of us are too lazy to type Morrissey ....... ;)

And we would all think of him as Morrissey too, I expect.
*cough* STEVEN Morrissey *cough* ;)

Zoe wrote this: "And he has a frankly cock and bull theory about the Smiths, and how their influence on the era is overplayed because there's a media conspiracy, full of media people who liked them much more than anyone else did (mind, I would say that: I'm in the media, and I really like the Smiths)."

For once, I agree with Robert wholeheartedly. Not that there's a conspiracy, per se. But The Smiths' influence is always overstated in the press.

Robert said once about Moz:
The guy is so depressed, if he don't shoot himself, I will'', that's funny, Robert invited Moz for a party few years ago, don't know Moz showed up, propably not..

Let me just say, I'd walk over hot coals for Robert Smith.

I do recall an interview where the interviewer asked Morrissey if he had one bullet and three people to shoot (can't recall the other 2, but one was Robert Smith), who would he shoot first. Morrissey said he'd line them up so that the single bullet would pass through each of them. :p:D

It was a good verbal arggie bargie when it was going on but I think both of em have mellowed with age since then. Still amusing to look back at the old quotes though.​

Zoe wrote this: "And he has a frankly cock and bull theory about the Smiths, and how their influence on the era is overplayed because there's a media conspiracy, full of media people who liked them much more than anyone else did (mind, I would say that: I'm in the media, and I really like the Smiths)."

For once, I agree with Robert wholeheartedly. Not that there's a conspiracy, per se. But The Smiths' influence is always overstated in the press.

Don't know whether that is the case in America but in England pretty much the whole 'indie' scene thats followed was influenced by The Smiths and this whole Emo scene too! In England you'd find it hard to overstate their influence as they really are THAT influential!

Don't know whether that is the case in America but in England pretty much the whole 'indie' scene thats followed was influenced by The Smiths and this whole Emo scene too! In England you'd find it hard to overstate their influence as they really are THAT influential!

I would agree, i can't think of a semi-decent British band since the Smiths who hasn't admitted being influenced by them. In America as well you have such crap as Panic at the DIsco, Fall Out Boy & My Chemical Romance claiming to be influenced by The Smiths.

The Cure were an interesting band very early on in their career but that was a long time ago. I find it extremely embarassing that Robert Smith still gets up everday and cakes his face with make up, it was ok when he was younger but he is getting on a bit, and now carrying a fair bit of weight around with as well.

Robert said once about Moz:
The guy is so depressed, if he don't shoot himself, I will'', that's funny

:mad::mad::mad:
oh, hilarious :rolleyes:

You cant underestimate the influence The Cure had on the Goth scene. They were VERY big at one time.​

Back
Top Bottom