Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Here's my theory.

Morrissey, or his tour manager, runs the numbers for what they expect to net from the trip, and makes the decision about whether to play the show or not. This is why these one-off gigs which are a fairly long distance apart end up routinely being cancelled. The logistics of hauling all the kit on and off the plane and setting up in the venue, paying and feeding the crew, etc. eats into the profits which can't be that substantial for small venue shows. If Moz is losing money on the gig, he won't play. It's simply a business decision.

Most likely. And those shows were sold out, but even so, you don’t think it was worth it for him? The tour set up seemed a bit all over the map and erratic from the start. But what do I know? I’m not a tour manager, and maybe neither is Donnie. Guess he does his best.

Unforeseen the reason may be but why is it also secret?

I think if this man is your hero, he doesn't care about you

Here's my theory.

Morrissey, or his tour manager, runs the numbers for what they expect to net from the trip, and makes the decision about whether to play the show or not. This is why these one-off gigs which are a fairly long distance apart end up routinely being cancelled. The logistics of hauling all the kit on and off the plane and setting up in the venue, paying and feeding the crew, etc. eats into the profits which can't be that substantial for small venue shows. If Moz is losing money on the gig, he won't play. It's simply a business decision.
Interesting theory, but if that is the case it is very short sighted because he is losing fans and the ability to play larger venues every time he cancels. I think it's more to do with him just not being up for the gig, especially with the long travel. If it were all about money he would hire a proper manager and market himself better. He wouldn't have quit the Bowie tour or made the number of poor business decisions he has made over the years.

I like your profile slogan, Gemstone73. Can I ask if it's derived, and if so, from where? :)

If band member information posted in the thread was wrong, maybe same for ticket sales? You'd rarely expect a sold-out venue yet; would you? Steady sales and near-full by the time the date comes round should do?
You mean "Alive out of Spite"?
It's a T-shirt, but I have a degenerative autoimmune disease so it's also appropriate.

Here's my theory.

I'd just like to point out that he was already in Australia and it's only a 2.5 hour flight from Sydney to Auckland; much shorter than from Perth to Melbourne for example.
It makes sense to add NZ on to the end of the Aussie gigs, or do NZ then Australia, and that's what most international artists do.
Tonight's show in Auckland sold out on day one of ticket sales so it would definitely have been worth his while to come here.
We're not far-flung if you're just across the ditch, as we say here.

I'd just like to point out that he was already in Australia and it's only a 2.5 hour flight from Sydney to Auckland; much shorter than from Perth to Melbourne for example.
It makes sense to add NZ on to the end of the Aussie gigs, or do NZ then Australia, and that's what most international artists do.
Tonight's show in Auckland sold out on day one of ticket sales so it would definitely have been worth his while to come here.
We're not far-flung if you're just across the ditch, as we say here.

It is interesting, because usually people here on solo assume and come to their conclusion that Morrissey cancels shows because they are not sold out or didn’t sell well, which evidently is not the case.

Again, it sucks for those that intended to experience these shows, but I do hope that he’s alright, and hires the right people to help him get his shit together. I speculate that a lot of this problem lies in the fact that he may not have (unfortunately by his choice) the right hired team to make these tours happen. That problems come up ahead of these dates, and not having the right support and not being able to deal with it himself, he simply shuts down and cancels the shows.

It is interesting, because usually people here on solo assume and come to their conclusion that Morrissey cancels shows because they are not sold out or didn’t sell well, which evidently is not the case.

Again, it sucks for those that intended to experience these shows, but I do hope that he’s alright, and hires the right people to help him get his shit together. I speculate that a lot of this problem lies in the fact that he may not have (unfortunately by his choice) the right hired team to make these tours happen. That problems come up ahead of these dates, and not having the right support and not being able to deal with it himself, he simply shuts down and cancels the shows.
Perth and Auckland were both Sold Out, however the second Melbourne and Sydney shows were not and he still played those.
He also flew to Brisbane, quite some distance away, a place and people he said he'd never play for again because of past experiences there.
I just had a reminder pop up that the doors open at The Civic, Auckland in half an hour...
Tonight's going to suck!

Here's my theory.

I know it's just a theory but considering how long Morrissey has been touring this seems like a very amateurish way of doing things. Is there really no way to gauge interest and profitability before booking and announcing shows? They haven't figured out that the remote one-off shows likely will not be profitable and yet continue to schedule them (then cancel/postpone/reschedule them)? And yet given the lack of any real information about the cancelations... maybe you're right. 🤷‍♂️

No one has the facts here.
It’s all just speculation and mere opinions, it means absolutely nothing. Especially to Morrissey’s actions.
Again, no one is trying to influence his actions. Why can’t you let that notion go?

I know it's just a theory but considering how long Morrissey has been touring this seems like a very amateurish way of doing things. Is there really no way to gauge interest and profitability before booking and announcing shows? They haven't figured out that the remote one-off shows likely will not be profitable and yet continue to schedule them (then cancel/postpone/reschedule them)? And yet given the lack of any real information about the cancelations... maybe you're right. 🤷‍♂️
Once again, Auckland sold out on the first day, and since he was already in Australia he could have been in NZ 2.5 hours after leaving Sydney.
We are not remote if you are already 'across the ditch in Oz'.
It would have taken him a lot longer to fly between Perth and Melbourne, but he did that.
I'm sure he was tired and stressed or whatever...blah blah blah...but I should be sitting in my seat at The Civic, Auckland right now waiting for him to come onstage with many other Kiwi fans.
It hurts.

Once again, Auckland sold out on the first day, and since he was already in Australia he could have been in NZ 2.5 hours after leaving Sydney.
We are not remote if you are already 'across the ditch in Oz'.
It would have taken him a lot longer to fly between Perth and Melbourne, but he did that.
I'm sure he was tired and stressed or whatever...blah blah blah...but I should be sitting in my seat at The Civic, Auckland right now waiting for him to come onstage with many other Kiwi fans.
It hurts.
Firstly, I expressed skepticism about the theory expressed by @hectorisdead... but we're also talking about more than just the AU/NZ shows... I was referring to the 14 shows canceled starting in September of this year. My condolences to all the fans that were greatly disappointed by these cancelations.

Last edited:
Firstly, I expressed skepticism about the theory expressed by @hectorisdead... but we're also talking about more than just the AU/NZ shows... I was referring to the 14 shows canceled starting in September of this year. My condolences to all the fans that we're greatly disappointed by these cancelations.
Gotcha :)
You're just not the only one referring to NZ as remote or far-flung and it's getting a wee bit annoying!
Plus I would be at the show Right Now, if he'd bothered to show up, so I'm a little touchy tonight....
I get that NZ is not the only show cancelled, far from it, and I can certainly empathise with everyone else too.

Here's my theory.

I'd do the same myself. BEFORE booking the venue and advertising it. Not AFTER the fans bought tickets and booked hotels/flights/time off work.

Most likely. And those shows were sold out, but even so, you don’t think it was worth it for him? The tour set up seemed a bit all over the map and erratic from the start. But what do I know? I’m not a tour manager, and maybe neither is Donnie. Guess he does his best.
And his best isn't good enough.

Gotcha :)
You're just not the only one referring to NZ as remote or far-flung and it's getting a wee bit annoying!
Plus I would be at the show Right Now, if he'd bothered to show up, so I'm a little touchy tonight....
I get that NZ is not the only show cancelled, far from it, and I can certainly empathise with everyone else too.
If we look at the Australasian tour he cancelled six shows and performed six shows which is not a great ratio.

I was wanting to write about the last show in Sydney I was at but the final show being cancelled in NZ seems to have understandably killed the vibe around here so I decided not to. The first Perth show being cancelled hasn't helped either. It's a strange place to be as a Morrissey fan, wanting to share your experience while others were denied theirs.

Maybe I'll let some time pass and share it later.

I was wanting to write about the last show in Sydney I was at but the final show being cancelled in NZ seems to have understandably killed the vibe around here so I decided not to. The first Perth show being cancelled hasn't helped either. It's a strange place to be as a Morrissey fan, wanting to share your experience while others were denied theirs.

I was looking forward to reading your review. Sure it's hard for the fans that a troubled artist sometimes reaches the limits of his endurance but I haven't noticed any Kiwis that have made a positive contribution to this site of late before coming here whingeing and I think the regulars here could do with anything to cheer them up.

Sorry, it's me killing the vibe!
Screenshot_20231214-215602-417.png

Maybe you could wait a couple of days...

And not a single apologetic word from the man himself. It's taken me 37 years to finally, finally face the truth:
Morrissey is an absolute c***.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom