Morrissey and Woody Allen

Raphael Lambach

Today I was watching Woody Allen's Manhattan when in the end Isaac (Allen) says to Tracy (Mariel Hemingway): "six months is a long time". Does someone know if this had inspired the same one in Shoplifters?

I have been wondering that myself for many years; I am almost positive I brought it up somewhere on here before, but maybe I didn't.

Anyway yeah. Good question. As a film buff, he most certainly saw that movie. And he has been known to incorporate quite a bit from various bits of books, cinema, and other music into his own work. So I'd say there's definitely a good possibility. But maybe I just WANT it to be true, since I love both Woody and Morrissey.

I'd like this to be true. I do remember reading that the line may be from A Taste of Honey, but I'd rather it was from Manhattan.

2d14do5.jpg

it was you who started the thread!

It's probably just a coincidence.

Lots of people think 6 months is a long time.

I'm not narrow-minded, then I can admit it may be just a coincidence, however, it's funny to discuss with other people.

Why do you pursuit me?

Today I was watching Woody Allen's Manhattan when in the end Isaac (Allen) says to Tracy (Mariel Hemingway): "six months is a long time". Does someone know if this had inspired the same one in Shoplifters?

Alabaster crashes down, six months is a long time, I think are my favourite lines from a Smiths song. Morrissey pinched a few lines from films so why not? It's not as obvious as I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice though.

Interestingly - or not - I rewatched Manhattan last night and as well as the "six months is a long time" line two near-Morrissey titles feature in the dialogue: "Trouble is my middle-name" and "Donny's in a coma". A total coincidence no doubt, but amusing.

That's such a great question. It goes without saying that Morrissey is a cinema-phile. And with Woody Allen's unabashed love of Fellini (and other Italian directors), and Morrissey's references in"YHKM", that would be a great connection. It's a shame that no interviewer has thought to ask him if he is a Woody Allen fan.

Last edited:

I had assumed the "six months" line was a reference to a potential prison sentence for his "listed crime".

That's such a great question. It goes without saying that Morrissey is a cinema-phile. And with Woody Allen's unabashed love of Fellini (and other Italian directors), and Morrissey's references in"YHKM", that would be a great connection. It's a shame that no interviewer has thought to ask him if he is a Woody Allen fan.

I checked PJLM and found nothing about Allen references but who knows there's something we don't know yet?

Back
Top Bottom